SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-17, 08:41 PM
KingReyes
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Control Arms

Anybody have any experience with aftermarket control arms? I'm debating if the bushings on brands such as Moog, Mevotech, etc. have the same durability/longevity and rigidity as OEM bushings.
I'm planning on doing a whole suspension refresh before I put the coilovers so suspension is squared up. Figs Engineering offers front suspension refresh but consist of aftermarket brands.
Old 02-04-17, 07:54 AM
foreste1
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just did my #2 lowers and the FIG steering rack bushing kit, but I went with Lexus OEM on the lowers as I was told if I changed that bushing it would ride harsh, and I wanted factory Lexus ride, which is what I have now and the FIGS tightened the steering so at hiway speeds it is tight as can be, its really amazing to drive now!!
Old 02-04-17, 07:55 AM
foreste1
Pit Crew

By the way, is there a reason you are replacing? Reason I ask, is I learned the hard way, it really ended up being front struts I needed, not so much suspension parts why my SC drove like garbage.
Old 02-04-17, 06:06 PM
KingReyes
Rookie

I already have the Daizen Poly rack bushings and OEM lower control arms #2 for both sides (OEM bushings are better because it's engineered to deform to adjust the toe under load). They are visually shot to hell. Also replace the motor and transmission mounts - what a difference! Feels like a new car; powertrain is more responsive. Which lead me wanting to replace all rubbers bushings.
Because I am OCD, I would like to replace the worn out suspension bushings and new Continentals before I put on my coilovers so the car will literally feels how it rolled off the factory. That and a transmission and differential fluid flush will make make this car feel fantastic.

That's I am wondering if it's worth to try aftermarket suspension parts such as Moog and Mevotech. FIGS engineering sells front suspension refresh kit for the SC430 with Mevotech parts. I only have Moog for the sway bar links because I upgraded to the ISF bars.
I don't know how well made aftermarket bushings are on ball joints, control arms, etc. so was asking if anyone had experience/miles on one. If so what are the results so far. Might ask the 2GS guys since there's a larger market there
The following users liked this post:
ivanj (04-18-19)
Old 02-05-17, 07:55 AM
foreste1
Pit Crew

My motor mounts have been replaced as well, my car drives so well its hard to stop driving it now! I see you mention Continental tires, if you have a Discount Tire near you, they sell a tire made by Continental, but is only about 87/tire and I actually love these tires, quiet and good looking, just in case you want to look at them.
Barum Bravuris
Old 02-05-17, 11:27 AM
stevemcb
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

How long do the rubber mounts usually last in years or mileage ? I have 17K on my 2007 SC430.

Last edited by stevemcb; 02-05-17 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-06-17, 11:44 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

I had 65k and mine were bad...hope that helps
Old 02-07-17, 09:34 AM
foreste1
Pit Crew

Mine were replaced at 150k.
Old 04-10-17, 01:02 AM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by KingReyes
I already have the Daizen Poly rack bushings and OEM lower control arms #2 for both sides (OEM bushings are better because it's engineered to deform to adjust the toe under load). They are visually shot to hell. Also replace the motor and transmission mounts - what a difference! Feels like a new car; powertrain is more responsive. Which lead me wanting to replace all rubbers bushings.
Because I am OCD, I would like to replace the worn out suspension bushings and new Continentals before I put on my coilovers so the car will literally feels how it rolled off the factory. That and a transmission and differential fluid flush will make make this car feel fantastic.

That's I am wondering if it's worth to try aftermarket suspension parts such as Moog and Mevotech. FIGS engineering sells front suspension refresh kit for the SC430 with Mevotech parts. I only have Moog for the sway bar links because I upgraded to the ISF bars.
I don't know how well made aftermarket bushings are on ball joints, control arms, etc. so was asking if anyone had experience/miles on one. If so what are the results so far. Might ask the 2GS guys since there's a larger market there
What did you end up with? OEM or aftermarket? Just find out that I need to replace my front upper ball joint - not sure if I can just buy this separately, or I have to buy the whole upper control arm. Would be nice if I can just replace the ball joint, and the bushings in the control arm. New OEM upper control arm is pricey.
Old 04-17-17, 08:15 PM
KingReyes
Rookie

Originally Posted by BCT
What did you end up with? OEM or aftermarket? Just find out that I need to replace my front upper ball joint - not sure if I can just buy this separately, or I have to buy the whole upper control arm. Would be nice if I can just replace the ball joint, and the bushings in the control arm. New OEM upper control arm is pricey.
Bought the whole arm - it's cheaper.
Went with aftermarket on upper control arms, ball joints, tie rod ends. OEM lower control arm #2 (castor arm)
Very tight with no vibrations or shimmy. Let go of the steering and it tracks straight.