SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

My 1st Mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-17, 06:32 PM
Mazor1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My 1st Mod

Here is a picture of my very 1st mod to my 04 Millenium Silver SC430. I purchased a can of Black Cherry from DipYourCar and this is the final result. There isn't anything black on my car so I thought a slight tint of cherry would look good against the outside paint. Next will possibly come some similar treatment to my front grill and since my K-Spiders are in poor condition I'm gonna give it a shot to re-do them with an opaque silver looking color. So, what do you guys think of the rear badges on my car?
Attached Thumbnails My 1st Mod-painted-badges.jpg   My 1st Mod-lexus-sideview.jpg  
Old 01-14-17, 07:17 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Looks sharp, great job
The following users liked this post:
Mazor1 (01-15-17)
Old 01-15-17, 08:25 AM
pynky01
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great contrast... can you explain how you did this in a little more detail... .. i have the same color sc...although I think the car has a great art deco stance ... and would not change anything outwardly..just me...this is a nice addition to the initial appearance... thanks...
Old 01-15-17, 07:52 PM
Mazor1
Rookie

Smile

Originally Posted by pynky01
Great contrast... can you explain how you did this in a little more detail... .. i have the same color sc...although I think the car has a great art deco stance ... and would not change anything outwardly..just me...this is a nice addition to the initial appearance... thanks...

I have to say that using this stuff, Plastic Dip is very, very easy. To do the emblems on the back of my car I simply cleaned them first and then dried with a chamois cloth. I then taped off a box surrounding each emblem leaving approximately 3/4th's to one inch all around. Don't worry the plasti dip is easily removed from where you don't want it afterwards and leaving this extra space makes it that much easier.

Next, I used newspaper to give me a good amount of space for over spraying because I found that to get the best coverage you want to start spraying and continue the spray both before and after you have passed over the emblem. The company where I purchased my materials recommended that with a dark final color that my first coat be either a white or grey, which I did. I simply started with my base coat, and then after waiting only 7-10 minutes for each coat to dry, I followed up with 4 coats of my final color, the black cherry. For my final coat I opened and raised the trunk slightly, giving me an easier spraying "line" to the underside of the emblems. One thing, I was so excited by how everything looked after this step I forgot that I had planned to put on one or two coats of what they call glossifier. I wish that I had, but as you will soon see in the pictures of my doing the front emblem on the car, I think two coats of the glossifier may have brought out a little too much of the red, so I have written the manufacturer to see if I can simply spray another coat of the black cherry over the glossifier to "tone down" the color a bit.

Honestly, I am not one of those persons who has ever done something like this before. I suggest that anyone who wants to consider this to do a You tube search because there is so much information you can learn, as I did, from there. One huge tip I would like to pass on is to warm up the spray can before using. That was something I got from the website where I bought the product and it made a huge difference in how the material came out and went onto my emblems. I used a small space heater and simply sat the cans I was going to use in front of the heater for 30 minutes. Not too hot, but I could tell by picking up the can that they were warm to the touch. Apparently it makes the material come out in a finer spray which makes it easier to get nice even coverage.

I hope this short write up helps.
Old 01-15-17, 08:11 PM
Mazor1
Rookie

Default Complement to My 1st Mod... Another

OK, so it bothered me a bit that my rear emblems were now this sharp looking dark cherry color while the Center "L" on the front of my car was still chrome.

So, keeping in mind that just about anything you can do with the Plasti Dip can be undone, earlier today I took the Front Emblem off of my car, and tried to match the look of the rear.

Note that I kept the matte black background inside the Logo for contrast. Nothing has been done to the rest of my grill. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails My 1st Mod-new-lexus-front-grill.jpg  
Old 01-16-17, 05:28 AM
pynky01
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great writeup thanks .. i will check on youtube.. very impressive on the front logo ... I will post photos when i finish... thanx again...
Old 01-16-17, 08:34 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

How about comando?

Name:  SC%20RR1_zpsrzdpruom.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  71.2 KB
Old 01-16-17, 02:44 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Mazor1
OK, so it bothered me a bit that my rear emblems were now this sharp looking dark cherry color while the Center "L" on the front of my car was still chrome.

So, keeping in mind that just about anything you can do with the Plasti Dip can be undone, earlier today I took the Front Emblem off of my car, and tried to match the look of the rear.

Note that I kept the matte black background inside the Logo for contrast. Nothing has been done to the rest of my grill. What do you guys think?
The front looks okay but I think that it would look better with a little more contrast in the background (for the front grill) like the trunk emblem has. With it as it is, it is hard to tell that there is an L there.
Old 01-16-17, 05:14 PM
Mazor1
Rookie

Talking

Originally Posted by Harold57
The front looks okay but I think that it would look better with a little more contrast in the background (for the front grill) like the trunk emblem has. With it as it is, it is hard to tell that there is an L there.

I sort of agree with you Harold57. In real life the contrast between the flat black and the cherry red is much easier to see, but the presence of the "L" is definitely subdued a bit. I was thinking about removing the plasti dip from the base of the front emblem which is color matched to my car, which then would result in only the "L" and the circle around it being highlighted in the color. This might make it stand out a bit more, but for now I'm gonna live with it a few days and then decide. Nevertheless I appreciate you sharing your opinion with me. If you only knew how nervous I was before hand about doing anything like this to my car. Now, its not too bad and who knows, I may end up going mod crazy. Nah! I'm too old for that stuff.
Old 01-17-17, 11:45 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Mazor1
I sort of agree with you Harold57. In real life the contrast between the flat black and the cherry red is much easier to see, but the presence of the "L" is definitely subdued a bit. I was thinking about removing the plasti dip from the base of the front emblem which is color matched to my car, which then would result in only the "L" and the circle around it being highlighted in the color. This might make it stand out a bit more, but for now I'm gonna live with it a few days and then decide. Nevertheless I appreciate you sharing your opinion with me. If you only knew how nervous I was before hand about doing anything like this to my car. Now, its not too bad and who knows, I may end up going mod crazy. Nah! I'm too old for that stuff.
The contrast may very well stand out in person better than it does in the picture on my screen.

Customizing your car is fun and it just makes you appreciate your own car even more. I'd say have at it and have a ball doing it to whatever extent you are driven to do it.