SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2005 SC430 Service Contract?

Old 01-15-17, 10:54 AM
Caretaker7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 SC430 Service Contract?

I am purchasing a 2005 SC430 from a preowned dealer that I really like. I've had experience with them before buying a vehicle and think very highly of them. With that said, this vehicle has 136,000 miles on it, but we are having the dealer replace the water pump, radiator, and timing belt. We found out these items needed to be replaced when we had a Lexus dealership provide a preowned inspection on the vehicle. They said the rest of the car appears to be very sound. We have the complete service record for the vehicle, and other than the owner neglecting these items, it was serviced adequately.

We absolutely love the vehicle – black convertible with the butterscotch interior – stunning look and drives very smoothly. Now for the question! The dealer will provide a bumper-to-bumper Service contract for three years at $1800. The dealer has amazing mechanics and a first rate shop. The contract provides for $100 deductible at any participating shop (and there are many), which is waived if we use the dealer's shop. Obviously, normal wear and tear items – general maintenance such as spark plugs, etc. are not covered. Is it worth $600 a year for that peace of mind for this mileage vehicle, considering that we are getting a new radiator, water pump and timing belt? They also are putting in all new hoses and tensioners while in that enclosure.

If anyone is curious, we purchased the vehicle for $14,680 after tax and title (Out the door), which includes the new parts installed as mentioned.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Caretaker7; 01-15-17 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Adding information
Old 01-15-17, 12:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I would not do it. Is this a service contract or a warranty?
Old 01-15-17, 03:39 PM
Caretaker7
Driver School Candidate

Service contract.

Also, to help me learn more since I'm a new Lexus owner, could you tell me why you think it would be a bad idea? I would also like to know opinions on whether the deal I got seems like a fair deal?

Last edited by Caretaker7; 01-15-17 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 01-15-17, 05:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Simple answer. The car won't need $1800 in basic maintenance over three years if you drive the average amount of miles. You have already said that normal maintenance like spark plugs is not covered. So what does it cover?
Old 01-15-17, 05:47 PM
Caretaker7
Driver School Candidate

It covers what the original mfg warranty covered, nothing more.
Old 01-15-17, 05:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Does any part of that $1800 cover the timing belt/water-pump/radiator replacement you mentioned......without an additional charge? In other words, they tell you that they would toss in those replacements in as part of the deal? If so, then it might not be a bad deal, as parts and labor alone for those three replacements, on a car like the SC, would, by itself, probably run that much, or close to it. If not, then I agree with Jill...your car will probably not need $1800 worth of simple maintenance over three years....oil changes, filter/plug replacements, etc......
Old 01-15-17, 05:51 PM
Caretaker7
Driver School Candidate

Even before the service contract, the purchase price I got includes the dealer replacing the water pump, timing belt, tensioners, hoses, and radiator. That's getting done with or without the service contract. So it sounds like you both are saying the service contract is not worth $1800.
Old 01-15-17, 05:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Caretaker7
It covers what the original mfg warranty covered, nothing more.
Sound like this is a warranty. Don't get it. Total rip off.
Old 01-15-17, 05:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Caretaker7
Even before the service contract, the purchase price I got includes the dealer replacing the water pump, timing belt, tensioners, hoses, and radiator. That's getting done with or without the service contract.
OK, Thanks for clarifying that ......that makes a significant difference.

So it sounds like you both are saying the service contract is not worth $1800.
Well, it certainly makes less of a case for it. Also, consider that, in some cases, (though you would have to ask beforehand in each case), Toyota dealerships can do basic Lexus maintenance for significantly less money than Lexus dealerships would typically charge...all while using the same Toyota-sourced fluids, filters, and parts that Lexus shops use. Independent repair shops, of course, also usually charge less...but they don't always have technicians that know the vehicles as well as the dealer shops do.
Old 01-16-17, 07:46 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

I think we're getting confused over the term "Service Contract." It sounds more like a bumper-to-bumper warranty to me (with perhaps the added benefit of having the normal scheduled maintenance included). Is that right?

If it's both a bumper-to-bumper warranty PLUS standard maintenance for 3 years, I would personally probably consider it. These SC's really are pretty bulletproof, and most of the forum experts will (rightfully) point out that the odds are you won't get $1800 in work back over three years. But there is something to be said for the peace of mind that comes with knowing you're covered in case a retractible top motor dies, your ML amp gives up, one or more of your speakers crap out, etc.

I have a 2006 with 20K miles that I bought last year, and I did purchase an extended warranty for mine (6 years total warranty). I find that I use my SC differently knowing that it is fully covered, and it adds to my overall enjoyment of the car. I don't sweat cranking up the stereo to very high volumes, I don't worry about having the top go up and down multiple times a day, and I just generally don't treat it with "kid gloves" the way I would if I didn't have the warranty.

Sounds like you found a real gem for a decent price! Enjoy it!
Old 01-16-17, 09:22 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

My reading of the transferred to me platinum warranty shows it covers the internal parts of the engine and trans and such.

those never break according to the owners here.
Old 01-16-17, 09:40 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
My reading of the transferred to me platinum warranty shows it covers the internal parts of the engine and trans and such.

those never break according to the owners here.
The Lexus Platinum Warranty should cover much more than just the powertrain. It covers the top, the electronics, the audio system, the suspension, etc. I know the SC seldom has issues, so I completely understand the philosophy that buying an extended warranty is a waste of money. Some people just gain value/peace of mind from knowing they're covered which helps justify the cost of the warranty.
Old 01-16-17, 09:52 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
The Lexus Platinum Warranty should cover much more than just the powertrain. It covers the top, the electronics, the audio system, the suspension, etc. I know the SC seldom has issues, so I completely understand the philosophy that buying an extended warranty is a waste of money. Some people just gain value/peace of mind from knowing they're covered which helps justify the cost of the warranty.
you may be correct about the otter parts but NO wear items were covered. Including shocks,

if it breaks in half the policy covers it.

how many here have had to work on the mechanical top parts?, rubber is excluded.
Old 01-16-17, 02:52 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

There are a number of items that the original warranty covered, at least it did for me. Trunk struts, CDs stuck in the radio, tire pressure sensors, ML speakers and top issues. I had all but the top covered under warranty (I let my policy expire before my top problems surfaced). Speakers and tire pressure sensors are not cheap. If your policy covers all of those, I would consider it. (The entire stereo system is covered, as long as it is OEM type equipment.)

For a 2005 with 136k miles on it, you can expect some problems with the speakers, tire sensors and trunk struts if they haven't already been taken care of.
Old 01-16-17, 03:06 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

It depends on how much you can do yourself. If you can afford the lump sum at repair time. If the answer is no to both of those, and the contract encompasses more than drivetrain. You may be better off with the cost being wrapped up in your payments. If the answer to those two questions are yes. Then I probably wouldn't take the policy. Just two cents

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 SC430 Service Contract?