SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Uhm...what the heck?!!! Power mode is awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-16, 03:36 PM
Remy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Uhm...what the heck?!!! Power mode is awesome!

I've only owned the car for a couple of months, and for the first time, I finally decided to try power mode...I like it!!!!

Coming from having a celica which only weighs about 2500 lbs, I do feel the weight of the sc430, but of course, the v8 has a lot more power.
generally, I feel the gas pedal is heavier, specially in the initial take off, but the power is there when pressed more.

With the power mode, the car actually feels lighter, and I feel that I don't have to constantly press down as hard on the gas pedal for power.
Is it just me? Or is this just something that feels drastic cause it's new to me?
Also, does anyone here leave the car constantly on power mode?

I only tried just now, cause I didn't feel the need to pay more for gas cause my celica used to cost me only a little over $20 for full tank, compared to over $50 for the sc430.
But I kinda like this power mode, and if it doesn't hurt to use it all the time, I may not care about the extra gas cost. Lol.
Old 02-06-16, 03:42 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Power Mode is how the car should feel all the time, personally. We have nearly 300HP at the wheels. The normal (ECT) mode is very subdued in my opinion.

I haven't noticed much difference in my MPG between power and ECT mode, personally. Stays right around 18mpg.

I probably use much more gas in snow mode when I use it because it seems I have to constantly hold my foot on the accelerator.
Old 02-06-16, 03:45 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Leave it at power mode, it won't hurt the car. Some members reported to have better fuel mileage too.
Old 02-06-16, 04:06 PM
Remy
Driver School Candidate

Cool! Thanks.
Yeah, I will leave that on from now on.
I was just surprised, I thought I may not notice a difference.
The car was already fun to drive, But it basically makes the car even smoother.
Old 02-06-16, 04:08 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

The ect settings Pwr, norm, snow. They change the shift patterns of the transmission. The difference from normal----- Pwr the transmission delays up shifts on acceleration, and downs shifts quicker when applying more accelerator. In snow it up shifts much quicker to help control wheel spin, and down shifts slower for the same reason.
Old 02-06-16, 04:09 PM
Remy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bb430
Leave it at power mode, it won't hurt the car. Some members reported to have better fuel mileage too.
This doesn't surprise me cause that's one of the things I noticed, that I had to let off the gas more it seems.
And when I press on the gas, it's like a lighter tap.
Old 02-06-16, 07:16 PM
Remy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Retroplay
Power Mode is how the car should feel all the time, personally. We have nearly 300HP at the wheels. The normal (ECT) mode is very subdued in my opinion.

I haven't noticed much difference in my MPG between power and ECT mode, personally. Stays right around 18mpg.

I probably use much more gas in snow mode when I use it because it seems I have to constantly hold my foot on the accelerator.
Subdued is the perfect word to describe normal.
Cause that's how I always described how the car drives.
That,you do feel the heft of the car, but once you give it some gas, you get a lot of power.

I decided to go to the mall just now just to drive some more cause I wanted to see if it was just an initial impression and it isn't.
The car feels like it opened up and you get a lot of power right from the start.
Now, it's not like it's crazy power.
But like I said, the car feels like it opened up.

Its definitely staying on constant power mode.
Old 02-06-16, 08:18 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Also you can try this... on my 2002 there are two D positions. The first, just under the N and the other a gate shift to the left. I believe the D under N is an overdrive mode and also adds to the lag and "subdued" state. Try keeping it in the Left Gated D. (Not sure if the 2006+ has this option as I know they do have the triptronic shifting). Also, if you really want to feel a HUGE difference in throttle response and speed off the line, check out two things. The first, is changing the Transmission Pressure to Firm, called the TransMod on this forum. I've done it and feel that it's made the biggest difference in acceleration. Completely eliminated the "lag" off the line. Second, SprintBooster. I have one, as do many other members. It really increases throttle response, but there are mixed feelings about it. Check them both out, and good luck!
Old 02-06-16, 08:32 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Power mode simply changes the shift point of the transmission but at a cost of fuel economy. Want an even more sporty feel, flip the shift selector to the left for sport mode.

The power mode setting is actually better for the transmission as it will shift at higher power and lower torque values. The wear on the transmission occurs when shifting at higher torque which you'll avoid in power mode.
Old 02-06-16, 11:10 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 567 Likes on 433 Posts

Driving in power mode when you want to pass or to race. Like Sorka said, it will shift at the maximum RPM allowed for the gear, and it will cost you $$$, I'm not sure about it's good for the transmission. I have the 07 so I like to drive in S mode sometime to have the feeling of the stick shift., which is the option not available in 02-05 models.

Last edited by GmanSC; 02-06-16 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-06-16, 11:18 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I always use manual mode when taking off from a corner where I have to turn as I take off...like a left turn after a stop. This allows me to keep it in first and then punch it as I straighten out and manually shift to second.

If I don't, then since I don't punch it at takeoff, it shifts up to third as I finish making the turn and then when I punch it it downshifts to 2nd or 1st which is a lot worse for the transmission than keeping it in first for the turn.
Old 02-07-16, 12:02 AM
Remy
Driver School Candidate

Tried the sport mode that's to the left of "D" while in power mode. Definitely feel the extra oomph.
I can see though where this can be less fuel efficient.

I think I'm quite satisfied with just normal "D" while in power mode as it eliminates the sluggishness of the car.
To me, this actually feels like what "normal" should be.
As mentioned earlier, I can also see how being in power mode and "D" can be fuel efficient as I feel like I don't have to always press on the gas, I find myself coasting more on residential areas, where before, with the power mode off, it always feel like I always had to have my foot constantly on gas.
Speaking for me personally, while in power mode...it's like the car feels like it is 1000lbs lighter with 50 more horsepower.

So to me it feels like:
"4" (to the left of "D") with power mode ON is sport mode.
"D" with power mode ON is normal
"D" with power mode OFF and switched to normal is rain mode
"D" with snow mode ON for snow/ice condition

Last edited by Remy; 02-07-16 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-07-16, 06:45 AM
jimbo409
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2002 does mine have power mode or sport mode
Old 02-07-16, 08:51 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Also you can try this... on my 2002 there are two D positions. The first, just under the N and the other a gate shift to the left. I believe the D under N is an overdrive mode and also adds to the lag and "subdued" state. Try keeping it in the Left Gated D. (Not sure if the 2006+ has this option as I know they do have the triptronic shifting). Also, if you really want to feel a HUGE difference in throttle response and speed off the line, check out two things. The first, is changing the Transmission Pressure to Firm, called the TransMod on this forum. I've done it and feel that it's made the biggest difference in acceleration. Completely eliminated the "lag" off the line. Second, SprintBooster. I have one, as do many other members. It really increases throttle response, but there are mixed feelings about it. Check them both out, and good luck!

I'll have to admit ignorance. I had no idea there were two D modes. A new thing to try out!

When spring comes around, I am planning to do the TansMod if I can convince a shop to do it for me. Opening up the transmission case is not something I feel comfortable doing by myself.
Old 02-07-16, 10:49 AM
jimbo409
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still don't get it,does the 2002 have the power mode or sport mode

Quick Reply: Uhm...what the heck?!!! Power mode is awesome!