SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Convertible top problem HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-16, 10:37 AM
jimbo409
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible top problem HELP

Just bought my sc and the top won't go down,when I press the button nothing happens no blinking lights or noise.if I open the windows and press the close button the Windows go up,but when I press the down button nothing happens.
I have the trunk cover close and I checked all the fuses in the trunk but they all seem fine nothing blown that I can see.i disconnected the battery overnight and still nothing. I also checked in the glove box and the button is pushed in like it is suppose to be.thanks again jimbo
Old 01-31-16, 11:24 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo409
Just bought my sc and the top won't go down,when I press the button nothing happens no blinking lights or noise.if I open the windows and press the close button the Windows go up,but when I press the down button nothing happens.
I have the trunk cover close and I checked all the fuses in the trunk but they all seem fine nothing blown that I can see.i disconnected the battery overnight and still nothing. I also checked in the glove box and the button is pushed in like it is suppose to be.thanks again jimbo
Didn't you say you bought this car from a dealer that had serviced the car since new. I thought you said they did all the service and maintenance. I would register your car on the lexus website as an owner using your vin then read all of the service records . This might give you a clue as to if this car had any top issues prior. It sounds like you have done all that you can do as far as making sure that the cover is latched and the glove box switch is enabled . You also might want to check the cabin filter just so you can make sure that the glove box top override switch harness did not pull off. When you lower the glove box door you can get access to the switch harness.

If you disconnected the battery you have to reset your window controls as well as your seat controls
Look in your manual it will give you instructions for both
Old 01-31-16, 11:42 AM
jimbo409
Pit Crew

I did not buy from a dealer,I bought from a private owner who took the car to Lexus for everything,I have the dealer maintenance records and there is no mention of problems with the top.the last time she took it in it had 89000 now has 89300 .i know I have to reset the Windows and seat controls.what concerns me is I don't get any blinking lights,but like I said if I open the windows and hit the close button the Windows go up.thanks jimbo
Old 01-31-16, 12:39 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
It sounds like you have done all that you can do as far as making sure that the cover is latched and the glove box switch is enabled.
I agree with Mister Blister. I don't think there is any normal condition whereby pressing the button doesn't at least get you a light.

Hmm... having said that....does anyone know? If the glove box switch is in valet mode, will you get a light, even thought the top won't move?

Have you tried the glove box switch in BOTH positions, just as a test?

Have you tried disconnecting the main battery to give everything a complete reset. Never hurts.

Last edited by JohnnyCake; 01-31-16 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-31-16, 12:58 PM
jimbo409
Pit Crew

I have disconnected the battery and the valet switch is in the pushed in position.
Old 01-31-16, 01:11 PM
jimbo409
Pit Crew

Well I put the valet button in the out position and when I pushed the button the red light started blinking.when I pressed the close button the radio stopped playing and the navigation screen went off.i think this might have to go to Lexus.jimbo
Old 01-31-16, 03:12 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Did the radio/nav resume working when you stopped pressing the button? If they have permanently stopped working, check the fuse.

If they are working, do they go off each time you try the top?

Did the blinking red light continue to blink despite the fact that the radio stopped and the nav screen when off?
Old 01-31-16, 04:06 PM
jimbo409
Pit Crew

Yes the radio and na camelback on after I stopped pressing the button. Thanks the red light only came on when I pushed the button in the glove box out and pressed the close top button.when I pushed the down button no blinking lights
Old 01-31-16, 05:19 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo409
Yes the radio and na camelback on after I stopped pressing the button. Thanks the red light only came on when I pushed the button in the glove box out and pressed the close top button.when I pushed the down button no blinking lights

When you were trying to lower the top was the engine running. Some of your issues sound like electrical as in maybe a failing battery. The sc430 will do strange things when the battery is failing. Put a volt meter on battery terminals and see what its putting out at idle then at say 3000 rpm. You still may need ti go to lexus and have them pull the codes.