SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Heads up display

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-15, 06:39 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Heads up display

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUD-Head-Up-Display-5-5-OBD-II-2-Speed-RPM-Warning-System-for-all-models-Lexus-/191670883399?fits=Make%3ALexus%7CModel%3ASC430&hash=item2ca0799447&vxp=mtr
Has any one in the forum any experience with this device.

A can you see it
B Is there room on top of the dash for the unit
C Reviews on it are mixed

I found it on amazon as well for $ 66.00 free ship
Old 10-08-15, 06:53 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
Hud Head Up Display 5 5" OBD II 2 Speed RPM Warning System for All Models Lexus | eBay

Has any one in the forum any experience with this device.

A can you see it
B Is there room on top of the dash for the unit
C Reviews on it are mixed

I found it on amazon as well for $ 66.00 free ship
Have thought about an HID as well. This particular unit plugs into OBD2 port, and I usually already have the port occupied so decided against it. If you have aftermarket acessories on your dash, this could clog up the area and look messy. There are also free HID apps that could can use to see if you like the concept. They work good and you can see them.

I'd say you should go for it and report back to us. You can can hide the wire between the panels. In my case that would be a challenge, since I already have wires from two separate back up sensors, and a back up camera, as well as my sprintbooster..
Old 10-08-15, 07:04 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBrett
Have thought about an HID as well. This particular unit plugs into OBD2 port, and I usually already have the port occupied so decided against it. If you have aftermarket acessories on your dash, this could clog up the area and look messy. There are also free HID apps that could can use to see if you like the concept. They work good and you can see them.

I'd say you should go for it and report back to us. You can can hide the wire between the panels. In my case that would be a challenge, since I already have wires from two separate back up sensors, and a back up camera, as well as my sprintbooster..
Hi When you say HID app are you referring to iphone apps that can interface through the obd2 port. VIA a cable ? Then you see this info on your phone ? The device I looked at has a single cable and I guess I could hide the cable easy enough. My concerns are that reviews say the device is not readable in daylight
Old 10-08-15, 08:19 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
Hi When you say HID app are you referring to iphone apps that can interface through the obd2 port. VIA a cable ? Then you see this info on your phone ? The device I looked at has a single cable and I guess I could hide the cable easy enough. My concerns are that reviews say the device is not readable in daylight
Lexbrett, they do make splitters for OBD in order to use more than one device. Since most devices are just listening, this shouldn't cause an issue.

mrblister, doubtful any of the HUD units out there are daylight readable. If the little reflector had a darker backing perhaps, but sunlight will easily overcome the transparent film you get. You could possibly have a strip of tint installed at the bottom of your windshield, but you would have to check your local laws. Here in my state, no tint allowed beyond 2 inches from the top.

If they projected with a laser, it might be bright enough but as far as I know all of them are just LED based.

On a related note, yesterday it was a little more sunny than usual this time of year and I noticed my dash top reflects on the windshield. Very distracting! Must be the angle.

One thing to consider is the annoying VSC lights issue with OBD readers that try to connect over the CAN bus. This could possibly trigger it.

Last edited by Retroplay; 10-08-15 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-08-15, 09:06 AM
ogjohnsmit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this feature from the factory on my 2006 BMW M5, it’s more of a novelty and a distraction than anything useful. The dash gauges update much quicker than the HUD, I hit my redline a few times because I was getting delayed feedback from the HUD. I thought it was cool for the first month or so and then shut it off and never used it again.

Last edited by ogjohnsmit; 10-08-15 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-08-15, 10:39 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I drove a Corvette Z06 for a while, and it had the HUD with all the different modes, AM/FM/Track info, etc and after a few weeks, I got bored with it. I think ogjohnsmit put it accurately, it was more of a novelty and a distraction. It just lost its appeal after a little while.
Old 10-08-15, 05:31 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Habeous (before he got all fancy on us with his Tesla roadster) has one of these, although I think his is based on GPS. I agree with the "novelty and distraction" opinion and the "clog up and look messy" opinion, but to each their own.