SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New 03 SC430 Owner - Electrical Engineer by day and not afraid to mod!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-15, 01:37 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Hey retro, I thought I would share this with you...i found this soldering iron on eBay, built in 1986, the brand is Weller, built for the military. Still in the new wrapper and never opened. I purchased two, one for me and one for my son as a Christmas present...
eBay link

Looks like a great field kit. I might have to keep my eye out for one. I should be ashamed that I don't even have a portable iron anymore. I bought a rework station years ago which has temperature control and hot air nozzle built in because I do a lot of surface mount work.

I could probably use picking up a nice kit like that for field use.

On that note, I went looking for a honking 65+W iron and was surprised that they are not as easy to find anymore. You need that to pull out caps from the huge ground planes. My rework iron can't keep up.
Old 12-04-15, 06:33 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Retroplay, look at stained glass supply places. Stained glass work requires high wattage. That's where I got my 100 W iron, though that was years ago.
Old 12-04-15, 08:02 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Harold57
Retroplay, look at stained glass supply places. Stained glass work requires high wattage. That's where I got my 100 W iron, though that was years ago.

Great suggestion. Thanks, Harold
Old 12-08-15, 05:19 PM
Cube
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Retroplay
And all is right in the world again.

Replaced the temperature control unit that I had broken. 2005 Radio installed.

And now I have a spare radio and temperature control unit to experiment with. I would love to find a service manual for this model of the radio so that I can determine the difference between it and the 2003 version. May need to find one of those sites advertising service manuals for purchase that I can trust. Most are really sketchy.

P.S. And yeah, it's getting cold out there. Our first snow is moving in tonight. Guess I will find out how the SC430 handles in the snow.
Retro, was the switch from 2002 to 2005 radio a 'plug and play' situation?

The reason why i asked this is i was thinking to get the GTA car kit (similar functions as the Vaistech in essence but slightly cheaper) and i emailed them to ask for compatibility confirmation and they can't guarantee it will work.
Old 12-08-15, 05:31 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cube
Retro, was the switch from 2002 to 2005 radio a 'plug and play' situation?

The reason why i asked this is i was thinking to get the GTA car kit (similar functions as the Vaistech in essence but slightly cheaper) and i emailed them to ask for compatibility confirmation and they can't guarantee it will work.

Yes. I literally just plugged in all the original connectors. Based on what little information I have been able to find, the only difference connection-wise is that in the 2003, the AVC-LAN is on the middle connector (the one with only two wires attached) and on the 2005, the AVC-LAN is on the same connector as the speakers and there is nothing attached to the middle connector.

In the service manual for the 2003 version of the radio, the AVC-LAN signals are present on all three connectors. So, it just plugged right in with no troubles.

From installation diagrams I have seen of various AUX kits, the kits plug into that center connector, which must have the CD1 external CD changer interface. I cannot confirm what other signals are there on the 2005 because I don't have a service manual for that version.

However, in most installation manuals it shows two types of connectors and even adapters between the two types. One is called a small connector and the other is called a large connector. The one in the 2003 and 2005 matches up with the large connector (22 pins going by memory.)

Now, having said that, many of those AUX units refer to JBL radios. Be careful of that. These radios are pioneer.

Since I don't have a kit yet, that is unfortunately as much information as I could come up with.

Oh, one last thing - I was able to confirm that the radio (neither version) supports CD-TEXT. That means it is most likely impossible to display custom text on the radio display.
Old 12-08-15, 06:12 PM
Cube
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks! Yup, you are right. I read in one of the threads that a member used the vaistech and no CD-Text can be shown. Thats one of the reason im opting for a slightly cheaper interfacing kit.

Investing in a more modern radio could be the best option but at the moment im not willing to forgo the classic looks of an SC Andd the usability of the steering controls. I know theres a kit out there to make it compatible. But i could be spending more instead.
Old 12-09-15, 01:42 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cube
Thanks! Yup, you are right. I read in one of the threads that a member used the vaistech and no CD-Text can be shown. Thats one of the reason im opting for a slightly cheaper interfacing kit.

Investing in a more modern radio could be the best option but at the moment im not willing to forgo the classic looks of an SC Andd the usability of the steering controls. I know theres a kit out there to make it compatible. But i could be spending more instead.

I haven't been able to make up my mind either, yet.
Old 12-09-15, 12:22 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Retroplay
I haven't been able to make up my mind either, yet.
I also prefer the classic look of the SC head unit, even if it is dated, and would never give up steering wheel controls.

Having said that, I encourage YOU to go aftermarket -- mostly because I think we all would like to see what you do!
Old 12-09-15, 12:35 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
I also prefer the classic look of the SC head unit, even if it is dated, and would never give up steering wheel controls.

Having said that, I encourage YOU to go aftermarket -- mostly because I think we all would like to see what you do!
We shall see. It is either going to be some extreme mods to the original radio or an aftermarket system to get to where I envision the overall system.

I didn't mention it too much in this thread yet, but one thing I had started working on was designing a module that completely replaces the tape deck.

I had thrown together a prototype where I tapped in a bluetooth module that was partially controlled by the tape controls but I had not worked out all the bugs yet. That was one reason that I wanted a second radio.
Old 06-28-16, 04:38 PM
LahainaJoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr. Retroplay...
I have been off the site for a while and have just seen your excellent posts.
Just wanted to thank you and the others for this thread.
Only about half way through but it has been well written, intelligent, incredibly helpful and an education for retired Luddites like myself.
Again, many thanks,
Joe
Old 04-15-18, 02:56 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

I was just going through some old photos and thinking, "What the heck was that?"

It's a picture of the bluetooth mod I had originally done to to the cassette deck. I had it wired up to use the tape controls for play/stop, etc... I seem to remember that it mostly worked. Not sure why I didn't complete it, though.

The following users liked this post:
cazzola (02-09-21)
Old 07-02-18, 12:53 AM
reggie772
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kuWuPt
These pinouts are from the back of the nav display? I was comparing them to the beatsonic for the 02 sc430 and it shows a 22pin connector. Instructions show where the RCA video inputs are connected.

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/Instruct...VA-12L_DIY.pdf
I mistakenly thought you could just hook up the RCA as described in their manual and attach to a mirroring device for streaming. Apparently, there is more to it to select it as an auxiliary input, or it just shows the factory nav screen. What would need to be done to have the RCA input become the primary video source if the factory functions are not needed?
Old 07-02-18, 04:28 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by reggie772
I mistakenly thought you could just hook up the RCA as described in their manual and attach to a mirroring device for streaming. Apparently, there is more to it to select it as an auxiliary input, or it just shows the factory nav screen. What would need to be done to have the RCA input become the primary video source if the factory functions are not needed?
if you purchase adapter device the control betweeen the primary NAV and aux video input is controlled on the steering wheel.
Sorry but i don’t know how to wire the screen to use your own video input all the time.
The following users liked this post:
reggie772 (07-02-18)
Old 07-02-18, 04:50 AM
reggie772
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default do you know of adapter other than beat sonic

Thanks,

Do you know of an adapter other than the beat sonic that would work?
$430 is a bit steep just to add that function.
Old 07-02-18, 10:01 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by reggie772
Thanks,

Do you know of an adapter other than the beat sonic that would work?
$430 is a bit steep just to add that function.
You know how your TV has a red yellow and white input (RCA) and then it has the red, blue, green, yellow & red input (RGB). Beatsonic told me The Lexus display uses that kind of input. Beatsonics, converts the input. You need to find an adapter that does like wise. If you do, let us know. I looked for one briefly and nothing obvious came up.

Last edited by DshngDaryl; 07-02-18 at 10:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DshngDaryl:
reggie772 (07-02-18), ShellyGX (07-02-18)

Quick Reply: New 03 SC430 Owner - Electrical Engineer by day and not afraid to mod!