SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Newbie with SC430 project - Did I really just buy this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-15, 09:59 AM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

I like the undertaking OP.. I'm in NC too if you need to check stuff up on another car feel free to message me and I'll help with what I can.
Old 09-05-15, 01:54 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

I tried to look up the wires, but it is difficult not knowing what it goes too. You just said passenger side, if you gave more info, I missed it.
Let me know if you want more help and I will try...
I know how to use this manual and I know how to read schematics and chase wires.
It's part of my day job! ;-)
Old 09-05-15, 04:30 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Maine, you really took on a major project there but in the long run after you get it fixed up, you'll love the car. Another member KuWuPt bought a very used SC430 (not wrecked though) and refurbished a very large percentage of it and did a great job resulting in his having a great car in the end.

Best of luck to you and keep us apprised on your progress.
Old 12-11-16, 12:58 PM
Maine
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default She Lives!

Happy to report that after investing +100s sweat hours, around $3k in parts, and a few dollars to the dealer to flash the comp, SHE LIVES! And she purrs.

Some if the things I had to do:
-Replace the gas tank
-Replace exhaust: from manifold back
-Replace and repair all wiring from cabin fuse boxes back. That includes dash, both running boards, trunk, etc.
- Repair or replace all interior components.
- New tires.
- Too many things to list.

Props to all who offered words encouragement. Thanks to fellow members who have contributed to the site with tips, explanations, photos etc. My biggest concern throughout the process was that I was going to be met with s---storm of engine and roof issues once I finished rewiring the cabin, but no issues so far. A testament to the Lexus name.

Now handling cosmetics. Looking for a hood and front bumper cover, but not understanding why 06+ bumpers are less expensive than 02+ bumpers and why finding a hood is damn near impossible. Anyway, photos to follow.
Old 12-11-16, 01:47 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Maine
Happy to report that after investing +100s sweat hours, around $3k in parts, and a few dollars to the dealer to flash the comp, SHE LIVES! And she purrs.

-Replace the gas tank
-Replace and repair all wiring from cabin fuse boxes back. That includes dash, both running boards, trunk, etc.
- New tires.

Props to all who offered words encouragement. Thanks to fellow members who have contributed to the site with tips, explanations, photos etc. My biggest concern throughout the process was that I was going to be met with s---storm of engine and roof issues once I finished rewiring the cabin, but no issues so far. A testament to the Lexus name.

Now handling cosmetics. Looking for a hood and front bumper cover, but not understanding why 06+ bumpers are less expensive than 02+ bumpers and why finding a hood is damn near impossible. Anyway, photos to follow.
....great work Maine !!!! I have been wondering what ever happened to this project, but glad it's still alive & going well. I'm thinking the 06+ bumpers are less expensive, because they may be easier to find. If you do decide to go with the 06+ bumper, keep in mind that the headlights are more expensive than the 02-05. You might try posting in the classified section, for any parts you need also, there may be members with everything you're looking for. I have a few of the frontend pieces, so PM me if interested.....good luck & keep us posted
The following users liked this post:
Maine (02-11-17)
Old 12-11-16, 05:55 PM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Maine

-Replace the gas tank
- New tires.
Wow that is awesome work. Mind sharing how do you find the components you need? I need a few bits here and there if I can find them for a good price. I have been scouring eBay with not much luck. Old parts are expensive for this car, and no luck at local junk yard, as I expected.
Old 12-11-16, 06:39 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Man, I give you all the props in the world! The interior looked like it had been put in a very large blender. You've got a huge set of....oops, family forum. But seriously, I'm in awe.

Pix -- we need pix!
Maine (02-11-17)
Old 12-12-16, 07:34 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Wow, what a massive undertaking. Very impressive. Congrats on reviving it. Definitely post the latest updated pictures!
Maine (02-11-17)
Old 12-12-16, 09:33 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 413 Posts

Hat off to you. Good luck on your project.
Maine (02-11-17)
Old 12-12-16, 05:04 PM
Tempock
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great stuff! Let's see the finished product.
Maine (02-11-17)
Old 12-18-16, 05:16 PM
jgreezy
Rookie

that's not bad for the investment $3 grand and a little elbow grease so far really good, now if you find your interior pieces cheap you are winning my friend GREAT JOB!!!
Maine (02-11-17)
Old 12-21-16, 01:35 PM
lexixel
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats! enjoy!
Old 02-07-17, 06:07 PM
Maine
Driver School Candidate

Default Blind Date

As promised pics of my mistress, or as my wife calls her blind date. Looking great from behind, but perceptions can change when you see him/her face on.

Minor details. The front end will be done before spring. This is her now after 1.5 years of sweat equity. I know more about this car then I ever cared to know, but it was a labor of love, because I plan to keep her for the long haul.

I want to send a special SHOUT OUT to my man ShawnOK who sold me the rear spacers (30mm). He is a cool dude.
Attached Thumbnails Newbie with SC430 project - Did I really just buy this?-dsc00008.jpg   Newbie with SC430 project - Did I really just buy this?-dsc00007.jpg   Newbie with SC430 project - Did I really just buy this?-dsc00002.jpg   Newbie with SC430 project - Did I really just buy this?-dsc00009.jpg  
ShawnOk (02-08-17)
Old 02-08-17, 08:07 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Looking good buddy! Glad it's coming together!
Old 02-09-17, 12:52 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Wow Maine, you've really made some significant progress! The interior and exterior looks great! How's the engine coming along?

Quick Reply: Newbie with SC430 project - Did I really just buy this?