SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Newbie with SC430 project - Did I really just buy this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-15, 09:26 AM
Maine
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie with SC430 project - Did I really just buy this?

Newbie to the site with a specific issue. If you wish to skip the backstory you can go directly to the bottom.

Always loved the SC430, but family man duties made it impractical. Ran across a dude who was is nice guy in a bad situation and had to sell a car that he (and buddies) had wrecked. Good news: good deal and no airbag deploy. Bad news: interior fire and shadetree repairs which may have made matters worse and the car is dead. No juice, even when connected to a battery. I looked up the vin and saw there was no accidents on record and the price was right so I figured why not.

After getting her home, first thing I did was strip out the interior to see the extent of the damage. The majority was behind the center console and airbox.

A visit to a local salvage(3hrs. away) and got what I thought I would need for the first round of repairs. But then I discovered that the bundle of wires that run along the kick board on both sides were cut. WTF?! I soldered all the wires back according to color, and gauge(thickness), but here is my delimia... I'm sure the first of many.

On the Passenger side I have 4 sets of matching wires (8 wires/4 connections). 2 set Red, with white stripe with single silver line around it. and another 2 sets of red wires with double silver lines around it. Tried to see if the sets had any distinction, but I saw none.

If anyone could tell me what these wires are for and how to connect them would be great. Im looking forward to becoming a part of the CL community and providing updates as the project progress. I would really appreciate any advice on the current project, and what you may have learned with yours.

Because I recognize that the internet can be the outlet for the cowardly, I would appreciate that comments/exchanges are of the more mature vein, and I will offer the same.
Old 09-04-15, 09:42 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

This is way over my pay grade, but I will tell you two things I noticed. First, whoever owned this car was not afraid of modifying it. In the second pix, you can see a VAIS unit. So you may find wires that are not stock. Second, under the side kick boards is a standard path for running wires from front to back. Everything you find there may not be stock.

Take a lot of pix and keep us updated -- this looks like an interesting project.
Old 09-04-15, 11:39 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

I might be able to help you out because I do have the wiring diagram for a 2002. What year is yours? It looks like a 2005 or 2006, just guessing....

To be honest, you really need to spend $40 on a copy of the wiring diagram for this car. Another $200 for the maintenance manuals would also be helpful.
Old 09-04-15, 02:05 PM
430keeper
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow...not sure I'd trust my life in this car going down the highway at 70 miles per hour.
Not sure you could ever guarantee airbag health, anti-lock brake functionality, or cruise
control reliability after a fire. When you can get a high mile car for $7500 on autotrader
right now, I'd put my money toward one that doesn't need a whole new interior....parts are
so expensive, you'd probably spend more fixing this up.
Old 09-04-15, 02:10 PM
430keeper
Driver

Is that windshield cracked too ?
Old 09-04-15, 02:43 PM
TEXASMAJOR
Lead Lap

I wouldn't pay $20 for that. Dead serious.

Good luck.
Old 09-04-15, 02:43 PM
treyster
Driver School Candidate

Maybe merge your car with this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-SC-2dr-Converti-/221862954154?forcerrptr=true&hash=item33a81004aa&item=221862954154
Old 09-04-15, 03:58 PM
430keeper
Driver

If you got a good enough price on it, I would part it out and apply the profit to
a well kept, higher mile car whose timing belt/water pump has been changed.
These cars will go for a long time....start with something non-catastrophic.
Old 09-04-15, 04:27 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm guessing this is sort of a hobby project, not all about dollars and cents.

My first car didn't have an air bag or anti-lock brakes and I survived just fine. No matter how you slice it, its still going to be safer than a motorcycle.

You could make a fortune parting it out.
Old 09-04-15, 05:36 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Its really nice to see that there are individuals who would even try and put effort to fix all that up so good for you

Not to put you down in anyway, but I really feel that by the time you get it all together it will end up costing just as much as a decent mileage used SC in perfect working condition. Parting out might be a good idea.. even the smallest thing on this car can cost quite a bit.

regardless which ever path you decide to go, there is always someone on this forum to give you the help you need
Old 09-04-15, 05:46 PM
Cube
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

By all means, if you are handy with the tools, this could be the best build you ever make. Keep it up.
Old 09-04-15, 07:57 PM
Maine
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really appreciate the advice and the words of encouragement from a few (Cube, Bimmer, etc.).

It is a 2002 and mileage at last check was 95K. You guys are not the first to warn me that I should run...fast, but outside of the electrical obstacles, it really looks worse than it is. Besides I can always follow the advice and part her out if need be.

Bgw70 - Coincidently I did get the 2002 Electrical Wiring Diagram Manual in the mail today, with color diagrams, but it does not go into depth with the silver lines around the wires.

I'm not Daddywarbucks by a long shot, but it is not my main car so I am not in the crunch to get her done tomorrow. The project overall does not bother me. It's the little things...like wire colors.

Sincerely, I appreciate your comments and advice. I will keep you guys updated on the progress.
Old 09-05-15, 03:05 AM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I am filled with respect for your daring and determination. Good luck with the project.
Old 09-05-15, 04:05 AM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 209 Likes on 103 Posts

Having the Electrical Wiring Diagram manual will help. It doesn't actually give wire travel location ( as in "these wires pass through the lower driver side kick panel" ) but it does give the wire color, etc. If you can trace the wire back to a connector, there is a section at the back of the manual that will help you ID the connector. Then you can find that connector on the correct circuit diagram. Long and slow work, but do-able. There are some special electronic tools that can inject an RF freq signal to help you trace wires.

As you already did with joining the wires that were unique and easy to match, try to pair-up these last wires by cut and length. If they were cut one at a time with a pair of diagonal cutters, the angle of the cut and the location might be different enough to match them up.

While the car looks bad now with the dash all torn apart, with enough time a patience, it should come back together nicely. Have fun with your project!

Last edited by FlopTop04; 09-05-15 at 06:34 AM.
Old 09-05-15, 06:24 AM
azndriver
Driver

This look like quite the adventure...but even though the rough state sure you can get this up and running.

Wire wise, looks like as mentioned a giant mess..

IMO instead of trying to splice and reconnet everything, i would just pull out the whole harness interior and even engine.

and find a replacement.

If you find the memeber "Aliga", maybe able to find you a wiring harness and other bits you need for your SC..

Futher down the road, your SC makes a great candidate to replace those really warn seats and put in some S2k seats

Good luck

Quick Reply: Newbie with SC430 project - Did I really just buy this?