SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

How to use DeoxIT Gold and Red on electrical connections

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-15, 07:14 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default How to use DeoxIT Gold and Red on electrical connections

Based on a tip from CL member, I bought some DeoxIT gold and red to improve electrical connections.

Has anyone used this stuff? I'm going to install an entire new headlight this weekend, and I guess I just rub it into the metal parts of the connectors? What is the difference between gold and red?

If this stuff is so great, why isn't it used on spark plugs (ie, the metal side opposite the connector) and the battery terminals in all cars???
Old 09-03-15, 11:08 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've always used detoxit D100 (red) A little dab on each metal pin or metal socket. Once the connector is mated capillary action will cover the connection.

For spark plugs I use Dow Corning DC4

For battery connections I use anti corrosive felt washers and CRC battery terminal spray protection or if I don't have any a little vasolene petroleum jelly or DC4.

Last edited by FLYCT; 09-03-15 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-04-15, 04:41 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks buddy! I will use deoxit red on my headlight connectors! But what is the difference between red and gold?? And if this stuff is so great why not use it on spark plug boots and battery terminals??
Old 09-04-15, 06:57 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've never used the gold. Reading mfg site it looks like it's designed for precious metal connectors like gold, silver etc. it has a different concentration of corrosion inhibitor. It should be fine on headlight connectors.

Spark plug and battery connectors have more surfsce area contact and therefore a slightly higher resistance at connection, I would imagine, would not be as critical. A thicker solution like DC4 or Vasolene would probably last longer than a watery solution like DeoxIt on those connections.

Battery connections don't seem to have issues with corrosion, only issues with acid. DC4 would prevent acid from contacting the battery terminals.

Just my theory