SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Help! Potential New car sc430! Should I get extended warranty????

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-15, 01:05 AM
Sexxilexi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Potential New car sc430! Should I get extended warranty????

Hello. So I'm interested in this Lexus SC 430 it is in Out of state and it has 93,000 miles on it and is $12,900. Now before you judge this car is a beauty hopefully I can post pictures. Looking at the Carfax it was one owner very well taken care of although towards the end of ownership there was a two year gap of no services and lastly it failed and omissions test. I called the shop that was listed on the Carfax that the owner used religiously. When I spoke to the gentleman he knew exactly which car I was talking about and explain to me that the car belong to a 75-year-old man's son who had died of cancer two years ago hence the gap in service. The reason it failed the test was because it had been sitting so long it had to be driven for a few miles before it could pass but he said it was a great car he knew all about it and I'd be lucky to have it. Now with that being said I do have to pay for shipping of the car along with California taxes when it gets here the extended warranty is bumper-to-bumper and covers 38,000 miles or three years for $2400 added to the loan. It also has a couple of spots on the interior leather that needs to be fixed. I'm new to this form and would really appreciate some advice on whether I should get this car or not it has been my dream car for a while I have a RX 300 that had 200,000 miles (paid off) on it and I want to save whatever I have left in it while using this new beauty. I have never had an issue with my RX and I mean that NEVER! I always get everything done on time everything is up-to-date timing belt oil changes spark plugs everything and it has never given me any trouble other than tires or breaks minus the O2 sensor but that's it it's still running strong and great . I had an extended warranty on the RX
PHP Code:
[IMG]https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/1120x2000/80-image_4dcc2b8255de909bc78fd1a349a7f6b3c2b9cac6.jpg[/IMG] 
but I never used it and now regret buying it but I would hate to buy this car and not get the warranty and then something happens ...

Old 08-19-15, 01:21 AM
Sexxilexi
Driver School Candidate

Default year

I forgot the year! its a 2003.....sc 430
Old 08-19-15, 04:10 AM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Who is providing the extended warranty ? Some ext warranty companies are pretty unreliable while the warranty backed by Toyota Financial Services USA is solid. I had an ext warranty ( since expired ) on my car which looks exactly the same as the one you are looking at. The warranty was worth it.
Old 08-19-15, 04:36 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

If it is a good warranty and you do not turn wrenches, get the warranty!
A new radiator will cost you several hundred to install...
Mine is a 2002, purchased last Jan with 63k miles and The radiator tank just cracked. It will only cost me $100 but I do my own work.
There are so many things that can and will go wrong with these cars, purchase the warranty.
Old 08-19-15, 05:36 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Extended warranties, in the long run, are good for the warranty company. If you don't have the discretionary funds to pay for unexpected repairs or you need the piece of mind then it's worth it as a consumer.

As others have stated, the track record of who is providing the warranty is important.

The only reason I have ever purchased warranties on cars is to keep my wife happy. She worries over "What If" something breaks. I have never made out on warranties that have covered my Lexus or Toyota cars. They are too reliable.

You could pay for a lot of repairs out of pocket with the $2,400 you would save not buying a warranty.

Just my opinion.
Old 08-19-15, 05:49 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Unless the warranty is directly through Lexus dealership it will be completely useless and money in the toilet, that's been my personal experience
Old 08-19-15, 05:57 AM
Sexxilexi
Driver School Candidate

GWC not lexus. since the car is so old lexus could only offer limited for $2600 for 2 yrs. this is exclusionary (bumper to bumber) he says for $2400 or 3yrs. i tried to find info on the company but cant find much although i guess they are popular. but since the car has been sitting for 2 yrs do you think if a problem arrises they will say that i couldve been from that over time?
Old 08-19-15, 08:56 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I have the same opinion on any extended warranty outside of Lexus (at this point you can no longer get a Lexus extended warranty), that you are risking a lot of money for no guarantee.

It is easy to swallow the $2,400 extra that will be rolled over the financing. If the issue is cash on hand (or lack of it), then I cannot argue. I cannot spend your money for you.

However I would recommend that you take the $2,400 cash and deposit in a contingency account. You can draw from this safety account for any and all of your needs. Including the repair of your seats. There are a lot of people who are in the leather seat repair business and you will be amazed on what they can do.

If you have done your due diligence on the car history, go buy it. If you give us the VIN number, we can help trace the REAL history of the car.

We would love to welcome you as an SC430 owner, a happy one. We are here to assist to make sure your ownership of the SC give you the satisfaction and happiness, like majority of us here at the SC430 forum.
Old 08-19-15, 10:51 AM
Sexxilexi
Driver School Candidate

That's supper sweet! I would really appreciate that! The vin is JTHFN48Y430040453
Old 08-19-15, 11:54 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sexxilexi
That's supper sweet! I would really appreciate that! The vin is JTHFN48Y430040453
..Here you go:

See attachment
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Document1.pdf (64.0 KB, 321 views)

Last edited by FLYCT; 08-19-15 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-19-15, 12:55 PM
Sexxilexi
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much!!! Based off of that do you think I'm alright? Anything serious I should be worried about? The clinking noise during breaking seems problemsome...?
Old 08-19-15, 01:59 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Unless I missed it, you need the timing belt service, which includes, water pump, tensioner, tensioner pulley, thermostat, idler pulley, upper and lower hoses and drive belts.
Old 08-19-15, 02:26 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Not saying -- just wondering. Does anyone think the leather problem looks like a poor attempt at mold abatement? In my eight years in this forum, I've never seen anything that looks quite like that. The placement is a bit suspect also.

There was a thread a few months/years ago about a car that sat without airflow inside the car for a few months and developed a huge mold problem. Sounds like this car was sitting for awhile also.

On the extended warranty, agree with Mandyfig, LexBrett, and others. Especially with GWC -- even a quick Google search reveals a lot of problems. With a BBB rating, its more important to check out the number of complaints rather than the BBB "grade." BBB doesn't arbitrate disputes. As long as the business simply responds, the BBB considers that a success towards a positive grade despite the fact that the consumer remains dissatisfied. As far as I can tell, the BBB is a scam.
Old 08-19-15, 02:47 PM
Sexxilexi
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I agree it looks like a VERY poor attempt but I sent the pics to Lexus and they said that it can be fixed. I pray it's not mold!!!! And thanks about the GWC I passed on the warranty and the 90000 service will be the first thing I do when I get the car for sure...without a warranty you better believe I will be taking care of this baby with extra precautions!
Old 08-22-15, 09:21 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

I agree that the leather damage looks strange and suspicious. Is there someone you can ask about it, like the mechanic? Also regarding the insurance, if you have second thoughts on it, ask your local Lexus dealer (or your mechanic) what their experience has been with that company. More than likely they have already dealt with them in the past.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out! (Welcome to the forum.)

Quick Reply: Help! Potential New car sc430! Should I get extended warranty????