SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Possible ABS problem after replacing front end suspension components

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-15, 05:31 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 913 Likes on 733 Posts
Default Possible ABS problem after replacing front end suspension components

After replacing several front end suspension parts I noticed an issue with the brakes.
The car stops fine and in a straight line but right before the car comes to a complete stop the brake pedal drops about 1/2inch and if I am not holding the wheel, I see it move to the right ever so slightly.
It does it every time and I am thinking that a component was either damaged or is not installed correctly.

Thoughts?
Where should I start?
Thanks!
Old 08-16-15, 05:54 AM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's interesting because I have observed mine do something similar occasionally. It's only happened a couple of times but when it does it, the pedal doesn't drop like yours, but the steering wheel will pull, usually to the right, just as I am coming to a stop, right at the end. I don't feel any pulling during the whole braking, but just riiiiiiight at the end it will pull the wheel.

I assumed it was a brake issue and one of my future projects is the brakes so I figured I would find out then. It doesn't feel unsafe to me, just something noticeable.

The only front end work I have had done was replacement of the LCAs and the owner before me did the tie rod ends. I can't remember if I noticed it before the LCAs as they were done right after I bought the car.
Old 08-16-15, 06:19 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

LCA? Lower Control Arm?

Thanks for the input Helo!
I am pretty sure the ABS is kicking in and I should add more symptoms.
I have seen the skid icon light up on the dash for a split second and on two occasions the car would barely accelerate after the stop and when I pushed the gas. It was like the ABS had taken control and was trying to control a skid.
You know, I should turn off the VSC and see if that makes a difference. Duh! LoL
I will report back on the results and I also plan to remove the front wheels and have a look around for something obvious.

If you have ideas, please post them up!
Old 08-16-15, 06:41 AM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Yeah, I haven't noticed the other symptoms. LCA = Lower Control Arm. I am interested to know if VSC off helps.
Old 08-16-15, 10:16 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Helo, you were correct, the VSC off did nothing.
My son and I pulled the front wheels to do a visual but saw nothing unusual. We decided to pull the speed sensors to take a look. There was some grease on both sensors and we wiped it off. We also disconnected the battery and left it that way while we worked on the front wheel, 15-20 min.

We then put everything back together and took it for a test drive and the brakes are working correctly! All is good and 100%
Thanks for the help Helo!!!
That problem sure had me perplexed but I knew it had something to do with the front end work.
Either way, it is fixed but I do not know if it was the skid control ECU reset or cleaning the grease off the sensors.
Old 08-16-15, 11:26 AM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Helo, you were correct, the VSC off did nothing.
My son and I pulled the front wheels to do a visual but saw nothing unusual. We decided to pull the speed sensors to take a look. There was some grease on both sensors and we wiped it off. We also disconnected the battery and left it that way while we worked on the front wheel, 15-20 min.

We then put everything back together and took it for a test drive and the brakes are working correctly! All is good and 100%
Thanks for the help Helo!!!
That problem sure had me perplexed but I knew it had something to do with the front end work.
Either way, it is fixed but I do not know if it was the skid control ECU reset or cleaning the grease off the sensors.
...both probably helped,but I'm leaning more towards the reset. In the process of having all the work done on your frontend, those sensors were moved around pretty significantly & if the battery wasn't disconnected,they were probably reading/detecting certain motions. If that was the case, they may have triggered the abs when the applied brakes got to a certain point. The reset probably cleared anything that was stored by the sensors.
The following users liked this post:
erosby (03-20-18)
Old 08-16-15, 12:10 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Tex, I think you are so correct! As part of the alignment they do have the key on and he may have bumped or adjusted the sensor bolt.
Thank you so much for your input. Every idea can help someone directly or give them an idea!
It is nice to have highly intelligent people in this forum, all of you are very helpful and I thank you!

Last edited by Bgw70; 08-17-15 at 02:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
erosby (03-20-18)
Old 08-16-15, 07:32 PM
Helogadget
Pole Position

So glad that got ya fixed! If I notice mine acting weird again I will try the reset and see if that makes any difference on mine.
Old 08-19-15, 09:34 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Nice lesson learned. Re-setting should be a must on any job related to sensors.