SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Need pep talk from CL friends ASAP.. Lots of problems after accident..

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-15, 08:43 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Need pep talk from CL friends ASAP.. Lots of problems after accident..

Tons of strange problems after accident. Fixed most but now strange electrical issues. After fixing my radiator and AC, my O2 sensor is reading 0 voltage. So no big deal I will replace it. My lights are out on shifter panel. Ok, I can figure that out. Then my GPS door stopped opening. Well I can probably take it apart and fix it.

Last night I noticed a headlight is out and there is lots of water. Planning to take it out and reseal.

To add insult to injury, while driving my car started to shut down and a clicking sound came from under the car and the brakes there was clicking. I rode around and heard a clicking and it went away.

wTF?! Battery is connected and no fluids are leaking. What is going on? Any ideas?

I'm starting to rethink things. Maybe I will get a different car. Please give me a pep talk and any insights into electrical mystery would be appreciated!

I enjoy working on this car but my stress level is approaching critical.

And by the way, I did go full throttle and it didn't happen again. The new engine is amazing too..
Old 08-14-15, 09:20 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBrett
Tons of strange problems after accident. Fixed most but now strange electrical issues. After fixing my radiator and AC, my O2 sensor is reading 0 voltage. So no big deal I will replace it. My lights are out on shifter panel. Ok, I can figure that out. Then my GPS door stopped opening. Well I can probably take it apart and fix it.

Last night I noticed a headlight is out and there is lots of water. Planning to take it out and reseal.

To add insult to injury, while driving my car started to shut down and a clicking sound came from under the car and the brakes there was clicking. I rode around and heard a clicking and it went away.

wTF?! Battery is connected and no fluids are leaking. What is going on? Any ideas?

I'm starting to rethink things. Maybe I will get a different car. Please give me a pep talk and any insights into electrical mystery would be appreciated!

I enjoy working on this car but my stress level is approaching critical.

And by the way, I did go full throttle and it didn't happen again. The new engine is amazing too..

Wow that sucks ! Too many different issues to troubleshoot but the electrical issues could be numerous. I'd worry about the seemingly chain of electrical issues as apposed to mechanical.

On another note.....mine is still in the garage waiting....kidding...hope you resolve the issues.
Old 08-14-15, 09:35 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Just my opinion, this is coming from lessons learned, stress is brought about by your perception that you are unable to resolve issues as fast as you think you can.

In my case this has worked:

Identify your goal. I would suppose your goal si to get your SC back as it was like before or even better. Correct?

Then…

1. Make a list of the issues.
2. Prioritize resolution of the issues, like Safety is #1, Operation # 2 Functionality # 3…etc…cosmetic should be last.
3. Once priority is set, work on potential root causes, again attack by priority.
4. Analyze causes, delete the improbable.
5. Identify countermeasures, solution, temporary and permanent.
6. Roll out you plan to resolve the problems.

This will help you focus on the important things first, safety.

This will let you hone in on one problem at a time.

If you succeed, you gain confidence and then move on to # 2.

Good luck.
Old 08-14-15, 09:43 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Are you a consultant? :-) Yeah I agree. Need to prioritize.

At this point I feel the prudent course of action is to wait and see what happens. More problems with time would indicate one course of action. For example, if the car runs the same (great) in a week, then I know that these things are isolated incidents. But if in the brakes fail and car shuts down and I have no idea what is going on, and there is a snow ball of problems, that would mean a different course of action..
Old 08-14-15, 12:18 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Default Have an idea: wiring diagram

Does anyone have a wiring diagram I could check out for loose connections??
Old 08-14-15, 01:48 PM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lex, Bgw I think has wiring diagrams. I would start by checking around the engine since that was what was replaced. If the mechanic was as incompetent as you say, there may be loose connections around the engine compartment.

Also, your accident involved water. Do you think water could have gotten around an ECU or 2?

I like Mandyfig's plan and I would start looking for issues wherever your mechanic touched things.
Old 08-14-15, 04:41 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow Brett I am sorry you have to go through all this. I am wondering with all the issues if you would detail them to your insurance and get authorization to get them fixed by a different shop ... You are supposed to be satisifed. With the work that insurqnce pays for ...
Old 08-14-15, 04:46 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Unfortunately the insurance company is incompetent as well! Thanks for the pep talk friends :-)
Old 08-14-15, 06:43 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks will do. I'm going to get under the car this weekend and look for loose ground wires!
Old 08-14-15, 07:38 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
Wow Brett I am sorry you have to go through all this. I am wondering with all the issues if you would detail them to your insurance and get authorization to get them fixed by a different shop ... You are supposed to be satisifed. With the work that insurqnce pays for ...
...I'm with Sivbullet on this...I know you were a little hesitate to talk about the accident in the beginning,but if you're paying your premiums, I feel like the insurance company should be responsible in getting everything fixed. The few times I've had to use my coverage, I was guaranteed 100% satisfaction of the work. I was given the choice to take it to a shop of their choosing or mine & I've done both. Once the lights weren't working properly,but i didn't know until a few days later,because I hadn't driven the car...the issue was taken care of & on my wife's car,they had the bumper repainted 2yrs later because of some chipping. So I wouldn't let them off the hook that easy, if your car isn't right
Old 08-14-15, 08:09 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As your last resort, you might want to contact your own insurance company seeking for help/justice.
Old 08-15-15, 09:51 AM
makecopies
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know the feeling I have only had my car 6 months and someone sat on the hood 3k in damage got that fixed then the radiator fell inside the car and now the ac doesn't work. Really thinking about getting rid of this and picking up a c5 corvette
Old 08-15-15, 10:54 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 913 Likes on 733 Posts

Hey Lex, from the looks of the amount of posts, you plenty of support!!!!

Okay, my two cents, your car will be fine.
You have taken care of the major additional issues and it looks like secondary PIAs are showing up. No problem, and yes, I have the wiring diagrams
let me know what you need.
Cheers!!!

Last edited by Bgw70; 08-16-15 at 03:33 AM.
Old 08-15-15, 05:26 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by makecopies
I know the feeling I have only had my car 6 months and someone sat on the hood 3k in damage got that fixed then the radiator fell inside the car and now the ac doesn't work. Really thinking about getting rid of this and picking up a c5 corvette
Hey man sorry to hear about your car. If you are handy you can probably fix the radiator. Feel free to PM if you need help. I just replaced my radiator and it's actually quite doable.

In terms of you AC, did you check if it's holding pressure??
Old 08-15-15, 05:31 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Default Test drove other cars today

Today I test drove a Mercedes cla250, Infiniti m37x, and Infiniti m56x. I was quite didsapointed in all. The Mercedes was good, just not to fast. The m37x was too slow, and the m56x was powerful but not as much as I expected. In fact, my modded sc430 felt better than all. It even feels more powerful than the m56x (which is 400hp).

Also my father in law, which is a mechanic, checked for loose ground wires and found nothing. We also tested every fuse nothing. He thinks the bad O2 sensor is causing problems with the ecu and electrical. So maybe the situation is not as dire as I thought and I can keep the beast!!

Quick Reply: Need pep talk from CL friends ASAP.. Lots of problems after accident..