tire dilemma suggestions appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-15, 06:30 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by tiglesias
Hi Iolmaster,

Dio you like the Conti Pure Contact or the Conti DWS better and why?

Thanks,

Tom
The Extreme Contact is an ultra high performance tire. I like the tire and would have bought it again. I really don't feel the need for an ultra high performance tire for an SC430. The Pure contact is a touring tire. It is a little quieter but not much. It has a 70K wear out warranty vs. the 50K for the Extreme contact. I got 45K out of the Extreme and expect to get 60K out of the Pure contact. I have about 13K on the Pure contact and you can still see the DWS very well. The Pure contact is a DWS tire also. That is how I predict 60K. The Pure is a little cheaper than the extreme also. The tires are very similar in handling. I really can't tell the difference. For the SC I think the Pure contact is a better value. Hope this helps.
Old 06-02-15, 06:13 AM
tiglesias
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Thank you Iolmaster, great information! Based on your description of these two tires, comfort, noise and ride quality have won out. I will be purchasing the Conti Pure Contact Eco Plus Grand Touring All Season Tires. Thanks again!

Tom

Last edited by tiglesias; 06-02-15 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-02-15, 05:39 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank you Iolmaster, great information! Based on your description of these two tires, comfort, noise and ride quality have won out. I will be purchasing the Conti Pure Contact Eco Plus Grand Touring All Season Tires. Thanks again!

Tom
I have been running the Pure Contact tires a few days. I really like them, they are whisper quiet and feel very nimble. Ride quality is good, not as smooth as I hoped though. In the rain they hold the road and seem to hook well on dry pavement. Just my initial impression after a few days of driving in varied conditions. As long as tread holds I'd say these are top notch tires..
Old 06-02-15, 06:51 PM
iamdacuz22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do y'all have spare tires?
Old 06-02-15, 08:43 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iamdacuz22
Yes I carry a spare tire. Bought one on eBay..
Old 06-03-15, 06:54 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Default Please interpret Alignment Output/Printout

Originally Posted by NAmVet68
Not all shops (or dealerships) will reset your camber to anything other than factory specs. For some reason, Lexus set the camber from the factory so that it causes excessive tire wear on the inner surfaces.

If you take the car to an independent alignment shop that will use the specs you give them (preferably one that does laser alignment), and tell them to use these camber specs when they do the alignment instead of factory specs and you should be golden. Your tires should wear much more evenly without any negative side effects (other than the steering feeling a bit lighter):

front +0.05 toe and - 0.85 camber.
rear +0.15 toe and -1.25 camber.

BTW ...unless you hit a lot of potholes or bash a curb, you shouldn't really need an alignment that often. You should be able to go for years without one.

Good luck....
Hello,
Here is a picture of my printout for my alignment. I asked for the alignment to do be done with your recommended

specs, but the 'mechanic' said that he could not achieve those numbers but got as close as he could. Could you all please help me interpret this report? THANKS
Old 06-03-15, 07:16 AM
iolmaster
Racer

The specified ranges do not match our car. I have no idea where your tech got them. They are not for a SC430. Not in the front anyway. Your car is actually set pretty close to where mine is and I went through 45K miles and the tires were worn perfectly. Even though I don't know where your tech got the specs, you should be in good shape. Again, look at the thrust angle, it was way off. This is overlooked many times in its contribution to wear problems.
Old 06-03-15, 08:27 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iolmaster
The specified ranges do not match our car. I have no idea where your tech got them. They are not for a SC430. Not in the front anyway. Your car is actually set pretty close to where mine is and I went through 45K miles and the tires were worn perfectly. Even though I don't know where your tech got the specs, you should be in good shape. Again, look at the thrust angle, it was way off. This is overlooked many times in its contribution to wear problems.
Are you saying that these specs are good except for the thrust angle?? What is the optimal spec for the thrust angle? What do you suggest??
Old 06-03-15, 09:23 AM
tiglesias
Pit Crew

Yes, I have the Lexus spare tire with cover but I am thinking about just carrying a tire air compressor and keep my eye on the pressures and tire warning light so I can free up the rest of the room in the trunk. Any thoughts on this?

Tom

Originally Posted by iamdacuz22
Old 06-03-15, 09:49 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by LexBrett
Are you saying that these specs are good except for the thrust angle?? What is the optimal spec for the thrust angle? What do you suggest??
Yes, but your thrust angle went from .27 to .04. That is a big change. Optimum for thrust angle is 0. That is rarely achieved and .04 is fine. I am saying you look good all around. I just pointed out the thrust angle to prove a point. Yours was adjusted to a good spec.
Old 06-03-15, 09:56 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

thank you!
Old 06-03-15, 10:22 AM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I have the Lexus spare tire with cover but I am thinking about just carrying a tire air compressor and keep my eye on the pressures and tire warning light so I can free up the rest of the room in the trunk. Any thoughts on this?
I have a spare in the garage, RFTs on the car now (snows in the winter are conventional). I also have the Lexus F-Sport spare tire repair kit. It has a compressor and a can of sealant in a package. Lots of cars nowdays are going this route - ditching the spare and replacing it with a compressor & sealant so they can shave another 100lbs of weight off and improve mileage a bit.

The upside is that flats just don't happen as often as the "old days" due to better tires & suspensions. If you're not running the tires past their tread life you may never see a flat. However, if you do get one then the compressor/sealant kit is only going to be able to help you if the flat is caused be an object in the center tread section - a slash or other sidewall issue isn't going to be fixed even temporarily with a can of sealant.

It's all about what you feel comfortable with - when was the last time you had a flat, do you have AAA or other road service to tow you to a dealer and are you comfortable taking the risk of not being able to fix a flat on the road?

To be honest, even though my snows are conventional I still didn't put the spare in the trunk in the winter and I didn't even need the space to put the top down
Old 06-03-15, 11:36 AM
tiglesias
Pit Crew

Thank M. Great pictures. The Extreme are very low profile. For me that is one of the reasons I went with the Pure Contact.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 06-04-15, 09:45 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

The low profile looks good, my Pzeros looked good, but being runflats, that's the not good aspect. My Sumitomo's are not low profile looking at all.
Old 06-05-15, 09:11 AM
claureys
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC430 Tire/Flat Dilemma

Searching for the solution when changing from run flats to regular tires for comfort an interesting turn of events occurred. My dealership in Canada didn't have the F-Sport Onboard Tire Repair Kit System (OTRS) in stock and suggested that I contact a dealer in the US who maybe able to supply the kit or answer questions on a spare tire option that was available in the US. When I purchased the car I was told it was a US made car, but I didn't know that if I looked at the V.I.N. it would tell me that the car was not made in the US, but in Japan. Interesting to say the least, my father purchased the first Lexus car sold in Canada and we have purchased many since then from the same dealer so it is disheartening to hear I was misinformed hopefully it was an oversight. So much to say, the spare tire is not an option now.

The dealer told me the Canadian Tire kit would be good enough. Has anyone had the pleasure of using one?

The camber information will be very helpful since my car is wearing the tires to the inside. The article says cars from 1997 -2000, does anyone have the specs for a 2005 SC430. Thanks