SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Grinding noise in the steering column on turning the ignition key on.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-13, 08:51 AM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Grinding noise in the steering column on turning the ignition key on.

Grinding noise (light) in the steering column on turning the ignition key on, after few hours of parking in hot sun only, the movement of steering column is to the set memory, after that no noise, cold start in the morning is always noiseless, feels like it needs lubrication?
Old 08-23-13, 10:27 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

I have the same problem. Of course, it will never perform for the dealer, or else they just won't test correctly (as I describe it). There was a poster last year, I believe, that said that he sprayed it with WD40 and the noise went away. That squeal is awful for sure. I used leather treatment on a rag, wrapped it around the column and see sawed it back and forth as far I could get it and that seemed to work once for me. The last time I tried it though, it didn't work, though I may not have been as thorough that time.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Old 08-23-13, 11:22 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
I have the same problem. Of course, it will never perform for the dealer, or else they just won't test correctly (as I describe it). There was a poster last year, I believe, that said that he sprayed it with WD40 and the noise went away. That squeal is awful for sure. I used leather treatment on a rag, wrapped it around the column and see sawed it back and forth as far I could get it and that seemed to work once for me. The last time I tried it though, it didn't work, though I may not have been as thorough that time.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Hi Harold and Prasher

Yes, I posted that I used WD40 to get rid of the (screeching rather than grinding) noise as the column extended.
I sprayed some on a cloth and just wiped it around the top of the column and it has never returned since.
Hope this helps.

Best regards
Steve
Old 08-23-13, 01:39 PM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Or a spray lithium grease. Tends to hold up better than WD40 under most circumstances.
Old 08-23-13, 04:29 PM
thombiz
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Steve, Mine does it too! So I'm going to give your solution a try. Thanks for the info!
Old 08-24-13, 07:08 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by thombiz
Steve, Mine does it too! So I'm going to give your solution a try. Thanks for the info!
Your welcome Bob, hope it works for you too.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-24-13, 09:06 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

I thought that it was you Steve who had posted the info, but was too pressed for time (lazy) to look it up. So did you wipe it around the column at the top where you can reach it while sitting up in the driver's seat or did you wipe it around the column in the footwell (requiring you to lay on your back with your arms around the pedals)?
Old 08-24-13, 01:24 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by Harold57
I thought that it was you Steve who had posted the info, but was too pressed for time (lazy) to look it up. So did you wipe it around the column at the top where you can reach it while sitting up in the driver's seat or did you wipe it around the column in the footwell (requiring you to lay on your back with your arms around the pedals)?
Hi Harold

I am in the 'lazy' group too. Life is too short!!!!!!

I wiped the area below the dials on top of the column which is easy to get at. If I remember correctly (and I suffer from short and long term memory loss these days!!!) there is a cowl that rubs on the top of the column and makes the squealing noise as the column extends. My noise started when I cleaned the area with a damp cloth so I presumed there should be some sort of lubrication to stop it and WD40 worked a treat. I didn't give it much thought at the time that it could be a common problem.

Cheers
Steve