SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Package tray stuck in the upright position!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-23, 02:36 PM
jujubinks
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Package tray stuck in the upright position!

Hello everybody, so I have had intermittent problems with the package tray folding out to let the the hardtop open/close. Usually when i want it open i just tap the tray a few times and it seems to work. Last night I wanted to close it but the package tray got stuck in the upright position. Any thoughts on how I can get it closed without closing it manually?
Old 04-13-23, 03:08 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

If you are on the trunk side, I think you can look on the left side of the package tray and see the arm that swings up to push the package tray up. See if you can wiggle it or free it up. It has been awhile since I have worked on one.

Here is a video on how the whole process works, see if you can find out where yours is having problems
Old 04-17-23, 04:02 PM
jujubinks
3rd Gear

Hey thanks for the response Daryl it did help to see the exact motion of the package tray.
Old 04-17-23, 04:22 PM
jujubinks
3rd Gear

I've come to realize that it is probably my package tray motor wearing out. If anyone has this problem in the future, look at the the manual roof close operation. The package tray locks once it is upright at that 80/90 degree angle so to unlock it you have to disconnect the cable on both ends of the package tray (different color on each end). Try jiggling each cable (the side with the black connector doesn't move much so I wouldn't force it but the cable that goes through the beige colored connector moves freely. For me that did the one time trick to close the roof (the package tray closed allowing the hardtop to close. I'tm assuming I moved the motor enough to get the motor brushes freed up. Since then I dropped the top again hoping I fixed it but again the top wouldn't go up so what I've done now and what you can also do is disconnect the cable connectors I previously mentioned and let the package tray back down and then just hit close. That should work and if it doesn't have someone raise the hardtop enough the decompress the hardtop switch (it's a black lever that the hardtop pushes on to let the ecu know the top is down. Good luck!