New Tires/Sooner than later

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-13, 05:55 PM
townsville
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by Lex07
Thanks for the info on the compressor and other options! My car now drives normally again...the inflation issue was the problem!!! No need to switch out my brand new tires..just needed some air...WOW!!!
Y'all are better than the techs this time for sure...and now you know I'm from Texas but a big thank you to all who helped me as I was really stumped and did not know what to do! Problem solved and new friends made!!!
Dear Lex07, Greetings from down under again. Good to hear all is OK. How on earth the tech who drove your car said it was OK is beyond me. As mentioned, I used to be a tire fitter and apprentice mechanic. I am fussy about my SC430. When people tell me everything is fine, but you know it is not, stick to your guns and ask on this forum. Like you, I am indebted to the helpful people here. I give a special mention to Bacardi.
Old 03-09-13, 02:09 PM
Moondog
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I too bought the Mazda RX-8 spare tire on Ebay. It cost $165, that included shipping. It was brand new. It does fit snugly down in the well. I hope to not have to use it!
Old 03-09-13, 05:12 PM
Lex07
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Australia!! Yes, actually your post gave me the courage to not settle for the "stock answers" I kept getting...I went in and told them about the 29psi and they argued my gauge was incorrect...they took it out and checked it against theirs and it was spot on...then another excuse was made and when I quoted the info i got from the Club Lexus forum, the service manager made disparaging remarks about it...not one real admission of their error and this was after two other issues on my 30k check-up being messed up a week before...I am switching to a different Lexus dealership whcih is much further away after six years because something is just not right.....but then JR mentione the TPMS needing re-setting and it dawned on me, they had not gone off at 29psi so I am grateful for the reminder and also for the instructions on how to do it from him! ALL of you have been GREAT!!! My beloved car is a pleasure to drive again!!!
Old 03-09-13, 05:20 PM
Lex07
Driver School Candidate

To JR (FLYCT): This was a great reminder for me as it had not dawned on me my TPMS system did not even alert me at 29psi...so thank you for the reminder AND the instruction on how to re-set it...looks like lots of us will use this info!! And my little SC is now a pleasure to drive again..it IS smoother and less jarring...more "glide in the ride" and lots less bump, for sure! So to end the story....it seems these brand new Michelin Pilot Super Sports are not going to be put on craigslist after all like the service guy advised...they will be staying on my car for miles to come!!! and I will also be using your GREAT info on the compressor and spare alternatives...THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH for EVERYTHING!!!
Old 03-10-13, 08:48 AM
LexiTwo
Driver School Candidate

Default Sumitomo HTR+

Recently I purchased a 2003 430 with Sumitimo HTR+ tires on it. The tires are fairly new, and a can of compressed air is in the trunk where the spare would normally be. I believe this arrangement was sold by the original owner's dealer. According to Consumer Reports these tires are similar to Michelins except they don't last nearly as long, and Michelin are more expensive. I would have choosen Michelins had I had the opportunity, I notice a fair amount of road noise and wonder how this compares to Michelins. I have Michelins on a ES350 I own, and they are much quieter than the Sumitomos on the 430. Am I expecting too much?]