SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2002 SC430 Navigation Door

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-12, 01:48 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Your issue since its intermitent its unlikely its fuses unless its a loose fuse. It seems more like a motor going bad or else the connector to the motor could be loose. When it started to work again was it while you were driving and perhaps you hit a bump? Or did it start working when you turned car off or on?
Old 01-19-15, 02:15 PM
bobster99
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am hoping if I bump this back up I will get some feedback as to what to try next.
Over the weekend the Navigation Unit stopped tilting and since it won't tilt back the door won't close.

The unit turns on just fine but the screen won't move in or out and of course, if it doesn't move back in, the door won't close.

I have pulled the unit out and it appears that I have power at all connection along and when I hit tilt or close I hear noises like the motor is trying to move for a couple of seconds but that is about it.

I pulled the unit out and the motor seems to be ok, it is free and there isn't anything broken... I did try puting power to the motor and nothing.

I am looking for suggestions.

One of the posts alluded to a cheap fix (like just a motor replacement) but sadly I am unable to find this fix in a search here.

Any suggestions?
I might be able to find a work around since I like Waze a whole lot better but It would be nice if it worked as intended.
Old 01-19-15, 04:33 PM
aym001
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lucked out

I found one of these cars in the junk yard which had the navi unit in there. It opens and closes, as I tested before I bought it. I got it as a spare just in case something happened to the one in my car, but if you are interested you ca have it for what I paid for it..200.00. I figured it was a good deal since I seen the unit on ebay for 5,000. macspeed704@hotmail.com for faster response.
Old 01-19-15, 04:37 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I remember years ago one cl member found a place to get the motors.
Old 01-19-15, 04:43 PM
aym001
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?

idk I new here, but isnt it two motors...one that operates the door and another the tint?
Old 01-19-15, 05:56 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default It's the switch connection

I think it's just the connector to the button. Several times I have opened up my center console shifter plate to install aftermarket items. If the connection between the button and connector is not tight the door won't function.

Try taking out the center wood bezel. Start with the seat heater control switches and everything easily dissassembles. Look for the connection wire and housing and the switch. Jiggle it and make sure it is firm. I am almost certain this is the problem. PM me if you need help, and definetly try before you take to the stealership or buy parts!!
Old 01-19-15, 06:18 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

the motor are almost imposable to find. the cl member had found some and that was end of it. you can not get the motors from lexus.
Old 01-22-15, 11:06 AM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBrett
I think it's just the connector to the button. Several times I have opened up my center console shifter plate to install aftermarket items. If the connection between the button and connector is not tight the door won't function.

Try taking out the center wood bezel. Start with the seat heater control switches and everything easily dissassembles. Look for the connection wire and housing and the switch. Jiggle it and make sure it is firm. I am almost certain this is the problem. PM me if you need help, and definetly try before you take to the stealership or buy parts!!
..so Lex that connector is down near the seat warmer connector or at least in that area? I too am dealing with this issue & have had it for about a year now. I've been inside the dash & had the unit out, but it seemed to be on the track.When it went into Sewell for airbag recall, I asked them to check it out for me & they forgot to look into it. I'm not driving it daily now, so I might try to go through the system again & see if i can figure it out...thanx for all the suggestions CL members
Old 01-30-15, 01:55 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

please help. I cannot locate a thread that shows or explains the sc430 upper center dash disassembly.

Thank you in advance!
Old 01-30-15, 05:46 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
please help. I cannot locate a thread that shows or explains the sc430 upper center dash disassembly.

Thank you in advance!
What are you trying to gain access to The radio, Navigation , navigation heater air cond control more info would be helpful
Old 01-30-15, 07:45 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mrblister
What are you trying to gain access to The radio, Navigation , navigation heater air cond control more info would be helpful
Thank you for your reply. I was pulling the navi screen. I finally located a YouTube video that provided enough information.

Also, some of you may be interested in this...I do believe I have located the navi screen servo motors. The picture is posted here, but I will repost the part number, RF-370c-15370
Old 01-30-15, 01:36 PM
kjcole
Lead Lap

So if you have the assembly removed, apply 5 V DC to the motor and see if it powers up. If it does, then you need to figure out why it isn't getting power (sorry for being Mr. Obvious here).
Old 01-30-15, 02:22 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I applied power to each motor, the door motor functioned properly but the tilt motor was intermittent which leads me to believe one of the three phase winding groups is bad.

Sometimes the motor would take off, then it would stay "locked" and other times it would start then act like it ran out of gas.

Since I have a source for motors, at least one if not both will be replaced.
Old 08-05-15, 06:14 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
I applied power to each motor, the door motor functioned properly but the tilt motor was intermittent which leads me to believe one of the three phase winding groups is bad.

Sometimes the motor would take off, then it would stay "locked" and other times it would start then act like it ran out of gas.

Since I have a source for motors, at least one if not both will be replaced.
Hey Buddy, did you ever figure out how to get your nav door to close? Mine just stopped working the other day! Thought it was a fuse because I was wiring back up sensors but the fuse is fine... Let me know what you think
Old 08-05-15, 07:12 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBrett
Hey Buddy, did you ever figure out how to get your nav door to close? Mine just stopped working the other day! Thought it was a fuse because I was wiring back up sensors but the fuse is fine... Let me know what you think
After learning much more about these, I would first pull the unit and check all of the screws on the sides of the unit and make sure the door is still in the track.

The door off the track and loose screws are the most common problem...

I ended up replacing the unit because it had multiple issues, bad screen, broken screen frame and it would not close the door or tilt the screen.

Last edited by Bgw70; 08-06-15 at 01:41 AM.

Quick Reply: 2002 SC430 Navigation Door