SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

CD jammed

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-12, 11:26 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default CD jammed

2002. Changer is stuck with the CD 5 carrier half-ejected. CD is out, but changer rejects all commands, gives error 3, blah blah. No amount of pounding the sides is fixing this. This was preceded by occasional errors whenever the changer finished playing cd 4 and transitioned to cd 5. Those were solved by jarring the side of the console. So, I suspect a mechanical fault in the carriage mechanism.

1. Has anyone disassembled and repaired? (I have 5 cds still in there, as well)
2. If I go the Beatsonic route with a new head unit as recently documented here, are the Pioneer units that are shown in the great write ups by Bob and Solman (with or without nav) still the best choice?

Kelly
Old 07-25-12, 01:38 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

A new DBL DIN head unit is a personal choice. I was, and still am, happy with my choice since I did not want to pay extra for the NAV component like Solman chose to do. My GEN 4 NAV does what I want. Instead, I added SAT radio, which I thoroughly enjoy. Whatever you choose, the issue will be clearance for the radio door, i.e. protrusions from the front of the radio which would prevent the door from closing properly.
Besides the install PDF I wrote on my 2012 conversion. I also posted a second PDF on removing the radio's face plate, including photos of tearing the radio apart. You'll find it here: Tearing your SC430 Radio apart --- scroll down to POST # 15 in the thread MandyFig added more photos a few posts later.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 07-25-12 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-25-12, 02:38 PM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

My cd player recently "ate" a cd, and didn't even recognize it. I unplugged the unit for a few min and then it ejected just fine after re-plugging it in. It's like it got confused or something. Anyways, that's worth a try if you don't want to spend the money to go with aftermarket stuff. **shameless plug** PM me if you want a beatsonic kit for cheap
Old 07-25-12, 02:47 PM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks, Bob. I still have the original NAV (updated map media) and it does fine. When it doesn't I have a smart phone which has some great navigation apps. I think I'll go for the same HU as you chose (prices are in the mid-$300's for it now). I"d think about moving up to Gen 4 NAV unit but that's a lot of work and $$, correct?

Good pix on removing faceplate so I can get my CD's out! I see no reason (despite the $$ for the Beatsonic and new HU) to retain the stock HU. Gonna miss the cassette player (not). Suppose it's time for me to start writing CD's to my phone and join the 21st century.

Kelly
Old 07-25-12, 07:15 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

The gen 4 upgrade is a straight swap, but you'd need new map media for the gen 4 unit. There is at least an hour or two of labor getting the trunk apart and back together. If you're happy with what you have and your smart phone I'd say stay with it.
You know some day...those cassettes and that player will be worth, well..er. a... sumpthin. I betcha a museum of 80's tech may be interested.