SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What Tires NOT to buy

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-11, 04:09 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

I have had the DWSs for about a year and a half and have about 18,000 miles on them and have never had a problem.
Old 07-30-11, 06:20 AM
John61
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iolmaster
I have had the DWSs for about a year and a half and have about 18,000 miles on them and have never had a problem.
Wow that sounds great, I wish I had your luck with these tires. As I stated in my post Tirerack is sending me 2 replacements that I should have next week. Another trip back to the dealer to have them mount & balance with there road force balancer and I will give them another try. I really want to keep the tires for a number of reasons (great price, all weather capabilities, 50,000 mile tread life warranty, etc.) wish me luck???

Thanks for your feedback

Enjoy the rest of your summer!!
Old 07-30-11, 01:36 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Avoid Bridgestone and Firestone...those tires suck!!!
Old 08-01-11, 09:35 AM
britjunkie
Driver School Candidate

I've had the tires on for @ 2 weeks and about 100 miles, no problems at all. I'm still very impressed. Sorry you are having trouble. Hope the replacments fix it. BTW about 15 years ago I had a GM product that couldn't be balanced. GM tried to get me to buy new tires. I called Detroit and got the runaround. When I mentioned "arbitration" they folded. Turned out the tires had been recalled for being out of round! And they wonder why people don't buy thier cars!
Old 09-04-11, 07:23 AM
John61
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by John61
Can you tell me about how many miles you have driven on the Conti's?? I have just put them on my wifes 06 to replace the Dunlop RF and I have had nothing but problems for the second day they were on the car.

Strange vibrations that seems to change slightly
Had them balanced 3 times in 10 days and they are still not right
Car pulls off to the right and it did not do that with the Dunlops

I bought them from Tirerack and they are sending me 2 replacements for free to mount and balance to see if that fixes the problem. Customer service person said I could have tires that are out of round?? Even my wife that never complains about anything agrees that the car rides and feels like there's something wrong. I agree that the price was great but if I can't get this resolved I would not even want these tires if they were free. Anyone else out there in cyber land having issues with there DWS'S please chime in.

Thanks for listening
Well after 3 attempts to balance and live with the conti DWS'S I'm done. Set all 6 back to Tirerack for a refund under the 60 day test drive (hope they live up to there promise ) 2 were found to be out of round per dealer roadforce balancing machine and imo something was wrong with at least 1 of the other 4 as the car just did not ride right. Put a set of Toyo Versado LXll and all is good. Car is now rock solid up to 85 mph and does not pull off to the right any longer. I will not be buying another set of Conti tires again as this is the 2nd set I had issues with. I will update after my cc is refunded and let everyone know if they lived up to there promise. Hoping the Toyo's contine to make my SC a pleasure to drive.
Old 09-19-11, 10:39 AM
britjunkie
Driver School Candidate

I just got back from a 3200 mile trip from Salt Lake - Seattle - Pacific coast highway- San Diego - Salt Lake. Contis performed very well. They do need to be warmed up in the morning for a few miles to get the overnite flat spots out, but after that they are fine. The right front tire now seems to be out of balance at 85- 90 mph. I'll check it out to see if that's it or it's become out of round. Nice trip, rediculous car for 85000 miles. I'm so impressed that I'll be looking for the new version!
Old 09-19-11, 08:27 PM
crankshaft
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by John61
Can you tell me about how many miles you have driven on the Conti's?? I have just put them on my wifes 06 to replace the Dunlop RF and I have had nothing but problems for the second day they were on the car.

Strange vibrations that seems to change slightly
Had them balanced 3 times in 10 days and they are still not right
Car pulls off to the right and it did not do that with the Dunlops

I bought them from Tirerack and they are sending me 2 replacements for free to mount and balance to see if that fixes the problem. Customer service person said I could have tires that are out of round?? Even my wife that never complains about anything agrees that the car rides and feels like there's something wrong. I agree that the price was great but if I can't get this resolved I would not even want these tires if they were free. Anyone else out there in cyber land having issues with there DWS'S please chime in.

Thanks for listening
Make sure you get an alignment from a reputable alignment shop.
Old 09-20-11, 11:07 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I drifted in from the LS forum as I have a 04 LS430. Plan on putting on the new Goodyear comfortred Touring. Friends and family sale and rebate got em for 100 bucks a piece. Rated ahead of MXV4's(my current tire I have been happy with) and number one in grand touring all season category at TR. Hope I do not regret it. I had the regular comforttred on when I bought er 100 k ago and had a lil wobble at 35 I could not get rid of, but otherwise it was a good quiet tire. 144k on the ls brakes tires oil changes nothing else.Knock Knock
Old 09-23-11, 01:36 PM
lakestreet
Driver School Candidate

Default i've always liked sumitomo htr iii

good bang for the buck
Old 09-26-11, 05:56 AM
crankshaft
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by PHML
Avoid Bridgestone and Firestone...those tires suck!!!
Certain styles, YES......but they do make some great tires.....do your homework in research, that's the answer!
Old 09-26-11, 02:50 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just put on Michelin's for 900 Bucks. My car drives like new, and I have a 60K warranty. Based on my usual wear out at 15K miles, my real cost should be around $400 bucks. Very happy with these tires.