SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

HID bulb replacement hints

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-11, 04:58 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Received 292 Likes on 174 Posts
Default HID bulb replacement hints

Yes, it CAN be done without pulling the bumper, fender and entire headlight assembly.

I just completed a HID bulb replacement on my 02 SC430. Took about two hours and included a copious amount of swearing. It is a PITB process that is largely done by braille. Sausage fingered individuals should not even try. The clearance is very small - just enough to get your hand into position.

if you google search agains "sc430 headlight service manual" you will find a pdf of the headlight service procedure. I largely followed those instructions, but I have a few hints...

1. Do the passenger side first. Removing the air cleaner gives you some ability to see what you are doing. That lets you learn the process before you go do the driver side "blind".

2. The service manual did not mention a few wires that are present. The leads for the amber indicator light stretches tight across the HID moisture cap. You need to pull the amber indicator bulb assembly first. Fortunatley, that is a simple twist and pull. Once the amber lamp was free, I disconnected its harness and set the bulb aside in a safe location.

2b. A pair of wires were physically attached to the HID cover. These make it extremely difficult to maneuver the cover, particularly when putting the cover back on. I ended up physically detaching those wires from the cover permanently. Made life a lot easier and will make replacing the HID bulbs simpler next time.

3. The HID bulb socket easily detaches. The wire spring bale is hinged and won't fly away when you get the two ends free. Those are freed with a squeeze and pull movement. You can do one side at a time.

4. Make certain the spring bale is swung out so it does not impeded placement of the new HID bulb.

5. Because you are doing most of the bulb insertion blind, it is difficult to avoid touching the quartz jacket to something. Practice with the old bulb first. Once in place, you gently rotate the bulb until its notches allow it to seat. You can feel that pretty easily.

I used the "MAXLUX HID Xenon Bulb D2C (D2S/D2R) 5000K" bulbs obtained via amazon. Yes, that price is indeed for a PAIR of bulbs. I thought it was for a single bulb due to the low price and ended up with four bulbs.

The new bulbs light up much brighter than my aging 02 HID bulbs. A slight bluer than the OEM Lexus bulbs, roughly the same color as the HID's on the Aston. Longevity is, of course, yet to be evaluated.

Success. It can be done, but I guarantee a lot of colorful language during the process.
Old 03-26-11, 08:15 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

You mean you came from the top, squeezed your hands into the little space. Got scrapes and bruises I suppose. I have been looking at that possibility. I need to tap into the signal lights to run my wires for the side repeaters I want to put in.

It is possible then.
Old 03-26-11, 08:22 PM
scdroptop

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

+1 yes, can be done and several have documented it on here including me. I did the DRL mod on both my SC's from the top-minimal hand cutting and no removal of any trim pieces on the drivers side on my 2nd time . I did break some of the $.70 clips so I bought about ten of them just in case down the road.

I got excited when I read your post because I thought you were about to school us all on how to do the side marker bulbs or the 168 series or fog lights WITHOUT dropping the bumper or going in through the fender wells! I don't think it's possible. I can get to the low and high beams but not the side 168 bulb in the headlight housing. If I could just make that one LED that would be great!!!!

I may have to bite the bullet and pay the dealer to drop the bumper, do the fog lights, side markers and 168 driving lights all at once and be done with it! LOL

Thanks for the write up!

PS-to help with the cut up hands/fingers, use surgical gloves or dishwashing gloves (good grip and you can touch the bulbs too)
Old 03-27-11, 05:55 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Received 292 Likes on 174 Posts

No, sorry it was just the low beam HID's. For something that has been reported successful previously, it sure doesn't show up easily via searching the forum.

BTW, when adjusting vertical headlight aim, counter-clockwise = aim higher.
Old 03-08-12, 05:56 PM
tnovak
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cannot find the: "sc430 headlight service manual". Anyone know where I can find it? Thanks. Tom
Old 03-08-12, 06:58 PM
tuterz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

2 hours? Took me 2 hours to drop the front bumper and replace hid fogs. Could have easily done the headlights at the same time. I think it might be easier to drop the bumper.
Old 03-09-12, 12:34 AM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tuterz
2 hours? Took me 2 hours to drop the front bumper and replace hid fogs. Could have easily done the headlights at the same time. I think it might be easier to drop the bumper.
Very true, I bet it would take you less than an hour next time you drop the front bumper.
Old 03-09-12, 05:13 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 156 Posts

I did my 06 from the top about 6 weeks ago and I will confirm what the OP stated. Especially the swearing! I will never try it again.
Old 03-09-12, 12:27 PM
mandyfig

I can vouch on what can be done coming from the top. I had scrapped hands when I tapped into the signal wires for my side marker lights. That's only pulling the signal light connector and putting it back on.

The DRL's are much deeper.
Old 03-12-12, 06:07 AM
tnovak
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bumper came off easier than trying to get my hand behind the light assembly.
Old 03-12-12, 03:38 PM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by tnovak
The bumper came off easier than trying to get my hand behind the light assembly.
You are probably right.
Old 04-10-14, 07:30 PM
bobster99
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bumping this up just because I just finished changed my HID headlight bulb. I found what seems like a deal on Amazon, just over $35 a piece. I heard a lot of negative reviews about the off brand China bulbs and I didn't want to have to change the bulb on this side twice,

I did try these instructions listed here and just remove the headlight bulb on the driver side without removing the headlight unit. I think it might have worked but the rear cover for the headlight bulb was stuck on. I may have had the cover loose but the rubber o-ring was so dry that it took a screw driver to remove the cover.

These postings imply that you have to remove the bumper cover completely but I was able to remove the headlight assembly by removing the grill, about a half dozen bolts holding the inner fender and under body cover. This was enough to pull the bumper cover just out of the way to remove the headlight.

Here are some screen shots from the service manual I found somewhere on the web that will make this job a bit easier for the next guy
Attached Files

Last edited by bobster99; 04-10-14 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 04-10-14, 10:52 PM
pvong713
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by talwang
Very true, I bet it would take you less than an hour next time you drop the front bumper.
Very true i can do it in 30 mins all is unscrewing bolts first time took me two hours