I am looking to install a back up camera in my 2002 SC430 and I was wondering if anyone has some insight? I planned on having a professional install it but after reading a CL thread from a few years on the subject I realized that it may be easy enough for me to do with the NavTool and not as expensive as the expert install ($900+ yikes!).
Some of my questions:
- Has anything new come to the market since that thread (post 2008)?
- Does anyone have suggestions on the model of camera (I would really like a distance grid).
- Would someone with basic knowledge be able to do the install?
- Pictures of/from your setup??
- If it would be best to have an expert install, can anyone recommend a shop in the Fairfax Va area. I have a few quotes but I would rather take it to a referral.
Thanks guys! As a newbie (and very proud) SC owner I really appreciate any input.
The NavTool is still available on Ebay for about $199-299, so that is good news. I am stuck on the camera though, I don't want to spend more than I need to or end up with some POS. Does anyone have a good midrange camera to suggest?
@ Solman - Thanks for the link. I am glad to hear that you have not had any issues with yours over the years. It is a very good thread.
Since you live in Virginia, maybe you could hire Habious for the install. I'm his designated "pass me the tools" assistant. I think we could beat the $900+ install price you were quoted!
Personally, I don't like the "backup frame" type cameras. I went with the "bar type" which is more unobtrusive. This is the one I have ($110) and I'm perfectly happy with it.
__________________ 2006 Lexus SC430 - Smoky Mica Granite with Black interior. MODS: DISABLED Nav data entry lockout when in motion; DISABLED phone entry lockout when in motion; DISABLED "I agree" screen; DISABLEDSeat belt chime ADDED: Remote Functions via Cell Phone; LuxLink; NavTool Backup Cam; Sirius XM Radio; Vais iPod adapter; Blitz cabin filter.