SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Streaks & Squeaks: Window Streaks & Steering Wheel Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-08, 03:58 PM
Rustito
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Streaks & Squeaks: Window Streaks & Steering Wheel Squeak

I'm had my 2004 for a few months now and am totally loving it. I have a couple of minor (perhaps trivial) issues but a bit bothersome so I'll ask. After a rain and I come out to drive the car (not garage kept) I notice vertical streaks going down the outside of both the driver and passenger windows (after rain has stopped - streaks are light and dry). The worst seems to be where there is a seam in the rubber towards the front corner that seals the top of the window. The streaks are light in color but appear to be coming from the rubber (?) above the windows maybe. It wipes off easially with a wet rag but it is just a pain. Nothing is getting on the inside of the windows and I don't notice this on winshield or back window. Suggestions on the cause of this and fix?

One other thing I noticed recently. When I remove the key and the steering wheel retracts it squeaks - it was not doing this for the first couple of months after I got the car. It is a 2004 - very well kept by previous owner with about 25,000 miles. Since the weather has not been too good I have not driven it much yet - only about once a week. That will change in the spring!!

Thanks for any suggestions on the streaks or squeaks,
Rustito
Old 03-12-08, 10:46 PM
hksnlper
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with my 02 took it into local lexus shop and they Readjusted the steering rack and repackled it with Teflon Lithium Grease from that day on no more steering wheel squeak. Shop charged me $183
Old 03-13-08, 07:32 AM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I noticed the streaking too on my '02 SC. It comes from the rubber seal between the roof and the windshield. It seems to have lessened since I started using 303 Protectant. It seems to have cleaned up the rubber seal and the UV protection is a good idea anyway. You can buy it at the link below.

I did all of my rubber seals around the roof and doors etc. They look much better. True black. With all of the rubber seals around the top and the fact that your car is outside I would recommend doing it to prolong the life of the seals and keep from spending major $$ for replacements.

http://www.consumersmarine.com/modpe...46&cID=FROOGLE
Old 03-13-08, 09:51 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the streaking on my drivers side window. Since I had the window tinted I dont get that now. You could try getting inside the steering wheel and spraying some wd40 worked wonders when my drive belts where squeaking.
Old 03-16-08, 09:05 AM
rclab1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just wanted to comment, those window streaks/grease water marks are very annoying after you've just washed your car or after it rains. Then you put the windows down, then up and all you see are grease/window streaks.....yuck!

anyway we can get rid of this? ?????
Old 03-17-08, 06:03 PM
Rustito
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks all for your input on my streaks and squeaks. I figured these were types of things with relative simple fixes - care is still new to me and you notice each thing and wonder how common a problem this is and how people fix. The care is an 04 and has Lexus certification and warranty so will see if anything is covered - esp. steering wheel mechanism.

Rustito