SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Cost to register new tire pressure sensors

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-07, 10:51 AM
flash_e_gt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost to register new tire pressure sensors

Can you guys tell me what your steelership charged you to registere your tire pressure sensors? I just got new rims and tires for winter and I need to get mine registered. They said $120 dollars...I'm thinking they are crazy.
Old 11-12-07, 02:10 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just in that position two weeks ago. I took my car in to Lexus to have the TPMS warning light turned off as I had just had new tires and new TPMS sensors installed on new wheels. I had the installs done correctly (right sensors on the correct wheel, etc.) at a local non-Lexus tire shop where I had done business in the past. They mounted the tires and the installed the new sensors (around 30 bucks a tire). The key piece of info is that I remembered that I would need the serial numbers off of the new sensors, and you have to make sure the sensors are on the correct wheel. They are wheel specific (color coded on the sensor). So I wrote those numbers down prior to install, thankfully. When I got to the dealership, they wanted to charge me 2 hours of labor to reset the TPMS warning light. The bulk of that time was for unmounting the wheels, verifying the sensor numbers, and whatever else they could add on. I wasn't buying it. I had already provided that info. All they to had to do was whatever it took to do the reset. After about 20 minute "fact finding" discussion, they finally backed off. Bottom line is, they were talking 2 hours at whatever the their hourly rate is. I would guess $120 sounds about right. Fortunately I didn't have to pay that amount. They also said it was a two hour job because of the runflats. They are tougher to mount and/or dismount due to limited flexibility.

Sorry for the long-winded answer. Hope that helps!

Last edited by moose66; 11-12-07 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Added and corrected text.
Old 11-12-07, 08:06 PM
flash_e_gt
Rookie

I guess I'm going to have to take it in the booty and go get them installed. The thing I don't understand is that we rotate the wheels on these cars. Thus it does not make sense that these sensors are corner specific. I'm sure there is a way to set these up in your garage....but I'm guessing that most Lexus guys have the $'s to just go pay the 120.... which steams my ***.
Old 11-13-07, 05:22 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

I was wondering the same thing when it comes to rotation. I would imagine if you had your tires rotated somewhere other than a Lexus dealership, you would have the TPMS warning light come on. They must also "rotate" the sensors on the computer when they rotate the tires. Sounds like calibration at the dealership is the only alternative. Although I do recall a post or two where members say some local high end tire shops have the equipment to calibrate TPMS sensors. I just didn't have time to research for a local shop in my area. Plus I was having additional work done by Lexus at the same time as my tire swap.
Old 11-13-07, 03:19 PM
4titude
Driver School Candidate

Default Tire pressure sensors

Since your car is equipped with a memory for two sets of wheels (pushbutton in the glove compartment) what about programming that system so that with the button in one position, it recognizes the sensors as pre rotation, and with the second setting, it's set to the tires that have been rotated? I mean, the four codes have been input twice, just in a different place on the car?

Just as an aside, the TPMS system in the biggest PITA this car has. On bad days, I'm ready to get rid of my SC because of them.
Old 11-13-07, 03:42 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4titude
Since your car is equipped with a memory for two sets of wheels (pushbutton in the glove compartment) what about programming that system so that with the button in one position, it recognizes the sensors as pre rotation, and with the second setting, it's set to the tires that have been rotated? I mean, the four codes have been input twice, just in a different place on the car?

Just as an aside, the TPMS system in the biggest PITA this car has. On bad days, I'm ready to get rid of my SC because of them.
Sounds like a good idea. But you still have to have Lexus or someone do the programming. Not a do it yourself job. I still would be interested to know what they do when they rotate.

And as far as the PITA, I think the government is mandating that all vehicles sold in the US have TPMS systems within the next couple of years. So everyone with new vehicles will be in the same boat.
Old 11-13-07, 07:09 PM
flash_e_gt
Rookie

I've rotated my tires myself. no issues with the sensors.
Old 11-14-07, 05:18 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flash_e_gt
I've rotated my tires myself. no issues with the sensors.
That's nice to know. Just assumed it was another one of those "dealership only maintenance" issues to keep the dealership's revenue machine in business. So it still begs the question, why such a big deal about the sensors being location specific when installed, if you can rotate the wheels without an issue with the TPMS warning lamp?
Old 11-14-07, 06:12 PM
flash_e_gt
Rookie

yep, I'm sure in a few years there will be a nice writeup once these cars start getting into the hands of more used car buyers. But for now I'm thinking i'm stuck with the $120.
Old 11-14-07, 06:28 PM
FORDTECH10
Driver School Candidate

Listen The Sensors Are Not Tire Specific Who Ever Tells You That Doesnt Know What They Are Talking About . And I Read Talk Of Color Coded So I Am Assuming You Are Talking About A Coupe In That Case You Dont Need Serial Numbers Just Needs To Be Registered With Scan Tool. And The Dealer Should Only Charge You .7 A Tire For A Coupe Not
Not And Hour .
Old 12-13-07, 09:41 PM
dld542004
Driver School Candidate

Had oil change and registered new winter tire and wheel package purchased from Tire rack. Charged $74 at Lexus dealership.
Old 12-14-07, 01:57 PM
flash_e_gt
Rookie

update: it ended up costing me $99.