newbie & question about "roaring" noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-07, 09:08 AM
lilwyde
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie & question about "roaring" noise

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I recently purchased an '02 SC430. I've been having her for about a month. I thought I needed brakes because I keep hearing a hard to describe noise; it sounds something like the noise your rotors make when you need new brakes, you know like a "grinding" or "roaring" noise that sounds like it's coming from the front or front wheels. I took it to Firestone and they checked it out and said that my brakes and rotors are fine - a lil worn but I still have a lot of miles left B4 i need to replace anything.

I hear this noise whenever I step on the brakes or if i take my foot of the gas to decrease my speed/it's hard to describe/it's not loud/and to the untrained ear, it sounds like brakes grinding.

I do have runflats, not sure if that has anything to with anything, just trying to give you as much info as I can.

Also, how can u tell if a speaker is blown? I have my bass set on 2, but on certain songs, i can hear a bit of a rattling in my left front speaker (the bigger one). It doesn't happen on all songs, just the ones with a lot of bass.

Oh, last question, if i decided to get regular tires instead of the run flats, where would i keep the spare

P.S. can't tell if you know this or not, but i'm female and no NOTHING about the mechanics of a car - so please be patient and kind

can anybody help me?
Old 03-15-07, 11:33 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome to your first post. Most of the questions you asked have been answered and a search will review those.
On the noise, sounds to me like the tires. Some tires produce such a horrendous noise that one swears the bearings are bad. I had this on my SC300 and the mechanic said I needed new front wheel bearings. Ended up, I changed tires and the noise went away. I would look at that first before digging deeper since you already had the brakes checked out.