SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Performance Stats & Features : 2001 thru 2005

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-04, 09:50 PM
mikeo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Stats & Features : 2001 thru 2005

I am going to buy an SC430 and am curious about the differences in the car by year (performance & features). Can someone tell me what the primary differences are through out the production of the car? what is the best year to buy if I purchase used. Should I wait for the 2005? any major changes coming that anyone knows about?
Old 08-02-04, 12:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_library.html

that's all you need

performance wise, it's been the same since 02 i believe
Old 08-02-04, 06:06 AM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

The above post is correct. From what I know (as an original '02 owner), the engine ans suspension have remained unchanged, so there would be no performance difference between any two SC430s..

As for features, the only changes I know of are that the NAV system was made standard about 6 or 9 months into production, (and the "spoiler" may also have been made standard) so that it is possible to find an '02 without a NAV system, but they are very rare. An "OnStar" type phone-in-for-help-and-advice system was made an option at one point, and may still be an option, but almost nobody signed up for that. The audio system remains unchanged and is one of the best in any car. There may be tire differences, but the big choice remains run-flats or spare tire, take your pick. The bushings were upgraded to improve the ride, but that option was made available for free to all owners, so most cars should all be the same now in that respect.

Finally, the pie pan wheel covers can be replaced with an optional cover which gives a five spoke look. I did this myself and think it's a great way to improve one of the most disliked styling features of the original car.

It would be very difficult for anyone to identify the year of manufacture from just looking at the car, or even from driving it. As far as I know, there are not even any new colors available (although some interior/exterior combinations were added or removed, I can't recall).

No one knows when any significant changes are going to be made, although a search here will give you lots of speculation.
Old 08-02-04, 06:41 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I belief the seats can be reclined a little further for the 04 model right ? Other than that, they haven't really upgraded this car since it's introduction in spring 01. This car should be due for a refresh/upgrade but unfortunately we haven't heard anything from Lexus yet.
Old 08-06-04, 10:33 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

A few things to add:

1. Spoiler and run-flat tires are still options to this day, but ALL cars come with them; go figure. Wheel locks, trunk mat, and cargo net are 'port' options, but I understand all cars come with them as well.

2. Nav became standard in '03.

3. The 'on-star' option, called 'Lexus link', was only available in '03.

4. Only difference for '04 was indeed seats slide and recline all the way back now. If it wasn't for this new feature, I wouldn't have my car now. Interior choices have been the same since day 1.

5. The 'star' caps were made optional in '04 as well.

6. You CAN TELL what year the car is: look at the VIN on the lower left portion of the windshield, and identify the 10th DIGIT. That's the model year. Oh, and that's for ALL vehicles, by the way. A few american manufacturers used to use letter codes in years past, but I understand that's not the case anymore.

7. The first SC model is officially an '02, not '01. However, the SC was an 'early release' '02 model, and was in production for over a year. That's why there're a lot more '02 produced than any other year.

Apparently, '05 cars will be identical as well. The new PB edition will be black/red. The only 'surprise' could be the 6-sp tranny (or very soon), since Lexus has standardized engine and transmission changes within a production year so far; that was the case with the 5-sp tranny and 4.3 V8 engine, which first appeared in the LS, and were then made standard on the other V8 models.

That's certainly good news the car is not changing, especially for us '04 owners.

Have a great weekend ahead people.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-06-04 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-15-04, 08:01 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by ELP_JC
A few things to add:

1. Spoiler and run-flat tires are still options to this day, but ALL cars come with them; go figure. Wheel locks, trunk mat, and cargo net are 'port' options, but I understand all cars come with them as well.

2. Nav became standard in '03.

3. The 'on-star' option, called 'Lexus link', was only available in '03.

4. Only difference for '04 was indeed seats slide and recline all the way back now. If it wasn't for this new feature, I wouldn't have my car now. Interior choices have been the same since day 1.

5. The 'star' caps were made optional in '04 as well.

6. You CAN TELL what year the car is: look at the VIN on the lower left portion of the windshield, and identify the 10th DIGIT. That's the model year. Oh, and that's for ALL vehicles, by the way. A few american manufacturers used to use letter codes in years past, but I understand that's not the case anymore.

7. The first SC model is officially an '02, not '01. However, the SC was an 'early release' '02 model, and was in production for over a year. That's why there're a lot more '02 produced than any other year.

Apparently, '05 cars will be identical as well. The new PB edition will be black/red. The only 'surprise' could be the 6-sp tranny (or very soon), since Lexus has standardized engine and transmission changes within a production year so far; that was the case with the 5-sp tranny and 4.3 V8 engine, which first appeared in the LS, and were then made standard on the other V8 models.

That's certainly good news the car is not changing, especially for us '04 owners.

Have a great weekend ahead people.
Very good information here! Look like someone did his homework
JPI