SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Impressed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-03, 06:51 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Impressed!

Wanted to close the year with some excitement, plus also wanted to put fresh fuel (with stabilizer this time) since the one in the tank was already 2 months old. What to do with 1/8 of a tank? Yep, time to see if the SC delivers.
The good news is the car easily hit the (soft) speed limiter at 153 (on a closed track, of course ), even at my 4K' of altitude. But the even better news is how it handled at high speed; simply... amazing. Never thought it could feel better than my '03 vette coupe, which required my 2 hands and my undivided attention (the vette was 'transmission' limited to 160 in 3rd gear at redline; 4th dropped rpm to below 4K, and just couldn't pull anymore); I was cruising in the SC by comparison. I could feel it a little 'light on its feet', but was still planted and going straight as an arrow; no problem at all maintaining a 1-lane position. In contrast, the vette felt like it was about to take off, and required constant corrections; it'd have been scary if I didn't have 2 lanes all to myself, although I was still able to maintain a 1-lane position, but with a lot of corrections (vette only has 2 turns lock-to-lock; not good for high speed). The vette did get to that speed quicker though, but I was going deaf with the noise. The SC? I didn't even had to raise the volume on the stereo while cruising at 120, and wasn't even breaking a sweat; hardly any noisier than at 80. At 153 was quieter than the vette at ANY speed. By the way, the tire pressure light didn't light up while cruising at 120 (supposedly lights up at 112 if psi<40 -for non-RF tires-; I was running 33 on my Dunlop RFs), but after the top-speed run was on; went away after I slowed down.
For the top run I turned the radio off. Didn't want to abuse the engine, so I sped up slowly until 5K in 3rd, when I floored it. Forced the upshifts right at redline, since it was only doing 5,500 by itself (lack of 'exercise', I'm sure). Could hardly hear the engine in 3rd (a very nice V8 rumble in the background), and above that just some wind noise. Fourth redlined at 143, but amazingly it kept climbing at pretty much the same pace in 5th, even though rpms went down to 4,600. It hit the limiter right at the 5K mark, and still going strong; had the pedal floored for 15 seconds tops (temperature was 58º). Not bad for a 3,850 lb car with 'only' 300hp, huh?
In summary, I was more than pleased with the car's high-speed performance; never expected it to be that stable... and that quiet. This is my first (out of 4 V-8) Lexus that I run above 130; the '96 SC400 couldn't pull any more, the '98 LS felt unstable (too much lift and too-soft suspension), and the '98 GS4 was plain scary with the shimmy issue that was never 100% resolved. And to set the record straight, I only top out my vehicles once, and only floor them for a gear or two every few months to keep the engine healthy. I couldn't be happier with my baby.

Best wishes for 2004, lady and gentlemen.

JC
Old 01-01-04, 12:15 PM
Phu
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't agree more JC. I've never hit the limiter but I've gotten it up to 135(on a track) and didn't even notice because the car is so stable and smooth at high speeds.
Old 01-13-04, 06:53 PM
braheem
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

I had an '86 Porsche 944 Turbo with a simple 'chip' mod, the car did 170MPH EASILY (speedometer limit) 4th gear did about 145MPH, it was a 4 cylinder with about 260HP.

Everytime I drive a car 10-15 years newer I wonder why they cant beat a simple 944 Turbo with a simple modification in 15 years of trial and error.

The car was so stable I once had it on cruise control at 145MPH on I-95(Florida) for about 3 minutes the only annoying thing about the car at high speeds was that the windshield wipers were halfway up the windshield.

...and before anyone starts, I still think lexus rules (in my old age)

Braheem
Old 01-14-04, 06:57 AM
flatfoot
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JC, Thanks for the great report. It's good to know that our SC's are up to the task. You are fortunate to have a place to run yours. Also it is nice to hear such a first-hand report from a private owner/enthusiast rather than an advertising write up from Lexus. Stuff like this is what makes this forum good reading.

Flatfoot
Old 01-14-04, 09:26 AM
JCtx
Racer

It's my pleasure guys.
As a comment, there's no more impartial people than me (maybe the same, but no more) here, since I don't believe in any kind of loyalty or attachment to any brand or model of vehicle, which is basically a pile of metal and plastic I buy with my hard earned money, and I expect my money's worth. I give credit where's due, and criticism as well.
Having said that, I left Lexus after buying my last 2 cars in '98 (LS and GS4), because I saw their quality declining, evidenced by the increasing number of problems I had with each newer model I bought. The worst was the GS, with numerous recalls, TSBs, and many problems, some of which were never resolved (the shimmy, and a creaking roof that required rewelding reinforcements and possibly repainting the car -I obviously refused).
Anyway, I ventured to other 'premium' brands, and the disappointment was even greater. Then I start doing the research on the SC, and I find the car has ZERO recalls, and only 2 very minor TSBs. I was going to go back to Lexus anyway, but I was extremely happy to find a manufacturer that really strives to get better, and really cares about its customers. Unfortunately, profitability will always be a necessary evil, and will constantly be in the way, but the 'new' Lexus I found was beyond my expectations. Everybody makes mistakes, and Lexus probably rested in their well-deserved laurels at that time, but they learned their lesson in this competitive world, and came back kicking a$$.
Finally, testament of the last paragraph and my 'test', is how well built and how stable the car is; it feels like no other Lexus ever did. For me, a perfectionist and an enthusiast with no brand/model attachments, to say this, should make Lexus proud of their accomplishments. As a complete package, there's nothing out there better than Lexus, and I'm proud to be the owner of one of the finest vehicles out there.

Take care gentlemen.

JC
Old 01-14-04, 03:27 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Impressed!

Originally posted by ELP_JC
This is my first (out of 4 V-8) Lexus that I run above 130; the '96 SC400 couldn't pull any more
JC
I'm surprised. I shut my '95 SC300 5MT down at 140 on I-90 coming back from Ohio.
Old 01-14-04, 04:32 PM
JCtx
Racer

Default Re: Re: Impressed!

Originally posted by technics
I'm surprised. I shut my '95 SC300 5MT down at 140 on I-90 coming back from Ohio.
I was too. I never felt I had a V8 on that car, especially with that transmission. I remember the 5M SC300 posting better numbers than the SC400, which supports your statement. Also remember my car had 260hp, a 4-sp auto, was heavier than yours, and I live at 4,000' of altitude. It was one of the most beautiful cars I've had, but was a big disappointment in the performance department.
Later.
Old 01-14-04, 06:27 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: Impressed!

Originally posted by ELP_JC
I was too. I never felt I had a V8 on that car, especially with that transmission. I remember the 5M SC300 posting better numbers than the SC400, which supports your statement. Also remember my car had 260hp, a 4-sp auto, was heavier than yours, and I live at 4,000' of altitude. It was one of the most beautiful cars I've had, but was a big disappointment in the performance department.
Later.

Hmmmm, it's a different story now though
Old 01-14-04, 07:12 PM
JCtx
Racer

Want to discuss SC400s? Go buy one first. And then do it on the SC300/400 board.

This is an SC430 board; go pick a fight somewhere else.

Moderator, can you take care of this guy?

JC
Old 01-14-04, 08:19 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Are you serious? Moderator take care of this guy?
I think you misunderstood my post. Pick a fight? With a fellow SC owner?

Let me clarify:

I was simply saying now that you have the SC430 instead of the 400 the story has changed. Meaning you are satisfied with the performance of the SC430 as you stated in the first post of the thread. In other words the performance of your SC430 is greater than that of your previous 400, and my 300 i.e. - "the story has changed". I was not trying to start anything and don't have a need to. If you look at my history on this board you'll see I'm not one to start fights, especially on the Internet. Before you go call for help from the moderators and point the finger you should make sure you thoroughly understand what the other person is saying. Talk about uptight, sheeesh. Simple misunderstanding. "Buy a 400"?

If this is how you react to a compliment, then I'd hate to see a reaction to an insult.

Last edited by Technics; 01-14-04 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-15-04, 01:24 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by technics
Are you serious? Moderator take care of this guy?
I think you misunderstood my post. Pick a fight? With a fellow SC owner?

Let me clarify:

I was simply saying now that you have the SC430 instead of the 400 the story has changed. Meaning you are satisfied with the performance of the SC430 as you stated in the first post of the thread. In other words the performance of your SC430 is greater than that of your previous 400, and my 300 i.e. - "the story has changed". I was not trying to start anything and don't have a need to. If you look at my history on this board you'll see I'm not one to start fights, especially on the Internet. Before you go call for help from the moderators and point the finger you should make sure you thoroughly understand what the other person is saying. Talk about uptight, sheeesh. Simple misunderstanding. "Buy a 400"?

If this is how you react to a compliment, then I'd hate to see a reaction to an insult.
JC, technics is right. You REALLY need to calm down.

First, you chastise the members in the SC430 forum for not answering one of your posts when most of us had absolutely ZERO constructive input, then you go after Technics for insulting you when his comment was actually meant as a compliment. And what exactly did you mean by telling him to go post on the SC300/400 forum just because he doesn't own an SC430? I've owned an SC300, an SC430, and 2 GS300's, so I feel that I have a right to give input on any forum I want... even if it's the LS430 forum. Technics has the right to do the same.

I've been posting in CL since 10/02, and rarely have I run into people on the SC430 forum who post just to stir up trouble. Don't assume everyone is out to get you. For the most part, we're all here for some good-spirited chat about the cars we love so much. Lighten up!