Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tanabe springs idea/help on awd

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-11, 11:33 PM
Charlie088
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tanabe springs idea/help on awd

I can't afford coilovers right now so the next best thing according to cl us the tanabes. Now here's the trick and trust me this never been covered. The trick is my car is awd. Now I want to drop the car so the rear tire is flush but so the front is not on the ground. I say this because I have a very steep driveway to get up. I looked and the df210 drop the front by 2in. Now the nf210 drops it 1.5in. Which would be perfect but it only drops the rear .9 while I like the df210 in the back which is 1.7 I think. I read on cl that the awd cars sit .5in. Higher then the rwd models. Now my question is can I get these springs so it will leave me at 1.5 in the front with the rear how I like it. My main concern is that this is an aggressive drop and the springs will sag/lower so I don't want to be stuck not being able to get in my driveway. Or can I get the nf210 and will they settle to a df210 height over time?
Old 06-10-11, 12:09 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

All springs will settle in after a few hundred miles. Apart from a coil over, I think you will have a tough time getting just the height front and rear you are looking for! Most springs are moderate at the rear and drop the fronts more. I don't think that serves you well.

I say "save up" and get a coil over kit. Look in the classified sections.
Old 06-10-11, 12:33 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I have to agree that the springs are not the most ideal way to drop. They will also sag after 10 k miles.

The next thing I would tell you is to get ready for your car to vibrate at stop lights. AWD GS always have this issue to some degree when dropped. I have a buddy who got rid of his because he could take the vibrations plus all of the other little things that was pissing him off about the car
Old 06-10-11, 05:32 AM
Charlie088
Rookie

Originally Posted by designo
All springs will settle in after a few hundred miles. Apart from a coil over, I think you will have a tough time getting just the height front and rear you are looking for! Most springs are moderate at the rear and drop the fronts more. I don't think that serves you well.

I say "save up" and get a coil over kit. Look in the classified sections.
Yea that's what I was thinking. But I was going to run a 35 tire in the front for better protection now I read on different threads that ppl have minor rubbing with the nf210 and the df210 forget about it. Then goes the whole thing of getting up the driveway. Now with all this in consideration plus my money I was also thinking last night that the nf210 would sag a little and be perfect in all areas for me. But I could be wrong. I know you guys know way more about this stuff. So would the springs do me justice or should I get coilovers. Because I'm thinking It wouldn't be wise to go any lower then a nf drops because of rubbing etc...
Old 06-10-11, 11:44 AM
adrianwong
Driver School Candidate

i have a 2008 gs350 AWD and have studied this issue extensively. ride height, performance and the vibrations were huge concerns for me. by the time i finished reading all that i could....which was months - i already had my modification fund grow from a set of springs to the BC Racing coils. - which is really the only way to go. a lot of people are researching the fact that the vibrations are caused by pitting in the CV buckets which is a whole other issue. but the coils will def put your car height at where you want it to be. do it once, do it right and you'll save a lot more than you waste.
Old 06-10-11, 12:44 PM
Charlie088
Rookie

You guys are right. If I can save up this week and next I can get yhe Megan ez coilovers.
Old 06-10-11, 02:57 PM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by adrianwong
i have a 2008 gs350 AWD and have studied this issue extensively. ride height, performance and the vibrations were huge concerns for me. by the time i finished reading all that i could....which was months - i already had my modification fund grow from a set of springs to the BC Racing coils. - which is really the only way to go. a lot of people are researching the fact that the vibrations are caused by pitting in the CV buckets which is a whole other issue. but the coils will def put your car height at where you want it to be. do it once, do it right and you'll save a lot more than you waste.
Vibrations are not thought of because pitting, its because of the axle angle/stretching of the axle when lowered. The theory is, if the axle is lengthened, it will solve the wobbling issue.

Charlie, with springs, you most likely wont rub. I've had F-sports (which are a lot like the NF210 ride heights) and DF210's and neither of them made my car rub with 20's.

If you are looking for the Megan EZ coils, one of CL's vendors, CircuitMS, stocks them and has great deals. Cheapest I could find on the web...

Oh and I have the Megan's now... they are a good bang for your buck coilover, I recommend.
Old 06-12-11, 10:57 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys!

Indeed, if you need a set Cook, just shoot me a PM
Old 06-12-11, 01:56 PM
Oneflyguy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Charlie088
Yea that's what I was thinking. But I was going to run a 35 tire in the front for better protection now I read on different threads that ppl have minor rubbing with the nf210 and the df210 forget about it. Then goes the whole thing of getting up the driveway. Now with all this in consideration plus my money I was also thinking last night that the nf210 would sag a little and be perfect in all areas for me. But I could be wrong. I know you guys know way more about this stuff. So would the springs do me justice or should I get coilovers. Because I'm thinking It wouldn't be wise to go any lower then a nf drops because of rubbing etc...
Take it from someone like me who started with the NF210's, went to the DF210's and am now on BC Racing Coilovers. Just wait a few more weeks needed to get the funds for the coilovers, you will not be disappointed.

I too went through CircuitMS, and you will not be disappointed there either.
Old 06-12-11, 03:42 PM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
Thanks guys!

Indeed, if you need a set Cook, just shoot me a PM
I already got my set through you.. Thanks for the offer though.