SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Oxygen Sensor Spacer Mystery/Enigma

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-15, 08:04 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by memokc
Lex, apparently I am not understanding you, I AM listening to you, that's the whole purpose of me replying to a thread about O2 spacers?There is no way in hell I was even remotely going to pay $4K for ALL new CAT's. I wanted to get feed back from people like yourself that have used the O2 spacers, that is the route I am going to go, just needed to know how many I need, I need to purchase? I totally appreciate your suggestions and I am going to use the spacers so I don't ever see those dang lights again for BS for those CAT codes. Thank you Sir
Hey Buddy, sorry for my grumpy response. I just get so mad when bad mechanics prey on unsuspecting consumers... And this is quite an extreme case where this jerk is saying you need to replace secondary cats to get rid of you CEL although it is impossible for the secondary cats to return a code since they are AFTER the sensor. Really terrible..
Old 05-16-15, 11:38 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

I have now driven several miles with several engine startups and the computer has not detected any faults. The Evap is not a fault but only an incomplete test and should clear soon.
I am now confident the new O2 sensors corrected the P0430 code. Many will say this is rare.

Old 05-16-15, 12:27 PM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know you can run real-time O2 sensor diagnostics with with the Techstream? I kinda found it by accident messing around the other day. Connect and go to OBDII Connection with the car running and it will run O2 sensor graphs.

Originally Posted by Bgw70
I have now driven several miles with several engine startups and the computer has not detected any faults. The Evap is not a fault but only an incomplete test and should clear soon.
I am now confident the new O2 sensors corrected the P0430 code. Many will say this is rare.

Old 05-16-15, 12:33 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Good point and thanks for reminding me but I was sharing my situation with my Trans Am. I know cars are different but the p0430 is similar amount cars. I was trying to make a point to the guy with the LX470. Although the it is likely that he has bad cats, that is not always the case.
Old 05-16-15, 12:39 PM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahh I forgot it was your T/A. Hmm...I wonder if Techstream would work on a non-Toyota in OBDII mode?

Good point and thanks for reminding me but I was sharing my situation with my Trans Am. I know cars are different but the p0430 is similar amount cars. I was trying to make a point to the guy with the LX470. Although the it is likely that he has bad cats, that is not always the case.
Old 05-16-15, 12:44 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I should give that a try because that would really be great if it worked in that mode.
Old 05-16-15, 12:58 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

My evap is incomplete as well, I guess you are saying it takes some time to detect.
Old 05-16-15, 01:42 PM
memokc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone ever use the CEL O2 simulators from bigdaddiesgarage.com? It says they will eliminate the P0420 and P0430 codes and the CEL lights? Just looking around the Internet and wanted to see if anyone has used them with any luck?
Old 05-16-15, 02:26 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Anyone ever use the CEL O2 simulators from bigdaddiesgarage.com? It says they will eliminate the P0420 and P0430 codes and the CEL lights? Just looking around the Internet and wanted to see if anyone has used them with any luck?
Yeah I'm running something similar. That's just an o2 sensor with a little screen. My spacer/simulators seem to be working and have yet to return a CEL
Old 05-16-15, 03:30 PM
memokc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBrett
Yeah I'm running something similar. That's just an o2 sensor with a little screen. My spacer/simulators seem to be working and have yet to return a CEL
Brett, how long have you been running yours?
Old 05-19-15, 10:32 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

My evap is incomplete as well, I guess you are saying it takes some time to detect.
Is your evap status ready yet? If so, how long did it take?
Old 05-19-15, 02:30 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Is your evap status ready yet? If so, how long did it take?
Hey Lex, I did drive the T/A around 60 miles and I would guess about 15 start cycles after I did the last code reset.
The EVAP INCOMPLETE is still present and I will need to do a little research on how long that one will need before it finishes a cycle of monitoring.
I most likely will not have an answer for you for a few more days because that car is my weekend toy.
I see you have the stereo/GPS issues worked out! Good job!
Old 05-19-15, 02:43 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Lex,
Google evap system monitor inc and you will find plenty of information on that test. In short, there is a sequence of events the car must perform to make the test happen...
Old 05-19-15, 06:58 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Lex,
Google evap system monitor inc and you will find plenty of information on that test. In short, there is a sequence of events the car must perform to make the test happen...
Hey Buddy, just checked my obd2 scanner and now all my tests are complete and no codes. Fingers crossed the combo of new o2 sensors and spacers did the trick and hope that the p0430 and p0420 will not return. As for my naviks install, I still haven't figured out the camera but the gps and naviks are powered up. Getting closer and will write complete DIY for everyone when finished..
Old 05-19-15, 07:01 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Brett, how long have you been running yours?
I think I have been running the new spacers and sensors about five days. It's hard to establish a baseline because I keep unhooking battery for other work. But it's been two days since unhooked, and just got all clear on obd2 today with no codes and tests complete. Really nothing to lose running spacers, as long as you sensors will come off and not seized

Quick Reply: Oxygen Sensor Spacer Mystery/Enigma