SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Oxygen Sensor Spacer Mystery/Enigma

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-15, 06:55 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Oxygen Sensor Spacer Mystery/Enigma

Recently I had PPE headers installed. I love them, but I got a CEL for P0430 and P0420 for reduced catalyst efficiency. I hear this is common. Yesterday I put on O2 sensor spacers and and getting a P0161, meaning that on the passenger side no voltage is being detected.

I already bought new O2 sensors, and they should arrive this afternoon. Aside from defective O2 sensors, does anyone have an idea why I am getting a P0161 with O2 sensor spacers? My thought is that the sensors are just really old and need replacement.,,
Old 05-13-15, 07:29 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

when you add headers an exh. upgrades. your opening up the exh. this also can lean the exh. FiveO makes a match set of injectors for this call them. lexus just installed pass. side 02 light was on. light is now out no problems now. lexus will clear the 02 sensor light problem.
Old 05-13-15, 07:49 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Are you saying the FIveO injectors account for the new higher airfliow and lean condition and will eliminate the check engine light?
Old 05-13-15, 08:16 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

yes call them tell them what you done they no there ******
Old 05-13-15, 08:19 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

if the car leaning out
Old 05-13-15, 10:13 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

My other toy car is a 2000 Trans Am with the LS1 5.7L V8 and I subscribe to LS1tech.com. the guys over there do a tremendous amount of mods and there are plenty of threads about the cars producing emission codes after these types of modifications. They say their cars are usually taken to a tuner who makes adjustments to the PCM etc. I believe these changes may stop these codes from showing up.

I also remember reading about certain types of O2 sensors that will simulate an output of a properly working O2 sensor. These O2 sensors keep the PCM happy.

I am only passing on what I have read because my Trans Am is stock...

Last edited by Bgw70; 05-13-15 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-13-15, 12:29 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the tips I will check out that forum if my new O2 sensors still throw a code. I'm actually using O2 spacers, aka O2 simulators as well. But I know there are also chips that are simulators which is more complicated but could be a next step..
Old 05-15-15, 05:59 AM
memokc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 Simulators

I too am looking for some O2 spacers for my 07 GX 470. I bought from my bossand it was his wife’s ONE owner special ordered with EVER option you could get on it with only 98K miles on it and it is in MINT condition and everything works perfectly. That was until I was driving it one day and I got the Christmas tree lights the VSS Trac and the CEL and the other light that comes on along with those light so I bought a new OEM gas cap from Toyota and unhooked my negative battery cable for 30 minutes and lights were gone. Fast forward, I have filled up with three to 4 full tanks of gas drove it from OKC to Dallas and back NO lights, I thought YES, this is fixed until a couple of days ago, I was already in a bad mood about work and BAM I look down at the dash and the F-ing lights are back on! I mean they were off for probably close to a month or longer! So yesterday I took it to an independent shop (supposed to be a very honest shop that only works on Japanese vehicles) yesterday and the tech (who has worked there for over 30 years) tested it and drove it with a lap top monitoring the engine got back from his test drive I could tell by his face it wasn’t going to be good news and he said codes PO430 & P0420 were the codes and said my truck in fact drove awesome (like it does) and this was nothing that would ever leave me stranded and said that my O2 sensors all checked out completely fine and that I needed ALL FOUR catalyst convertors and that would run around $4000.00 for OEM to have it where the lights wouldn’t come back on, SCREW that! I got this truck for an awesome price and like I said it drives AWESOME but I am not about to dump $4K into it to have the light never come back on, I am just real picky and don’t like stupid annoying dash lights being on and I was told about O2 spacers to keep the lights from coming back on, I am new to O2 sensors and I live in OKC so we don’t have emissions testing so could someone please tell me how many downward O2 sensor spacers I would need for my 07 Gx470, I bought this to flip so I am not putting $4K into it! When I was told $4000K I truly thought I was going to be sick to my stomach but he said that I could drive the truck forever and that Lexus O2 sensors perimeters were just SUPER sensitive! If anyone could help me out on this I would greatly appreciate it, because I want to get this fixed ASAP! Lights are off now because he cleared the codes but who knows for how long?? Thanks in advance!![/FONT]
Old 05-15-15, 06:42 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Google O2 simulators and see what you learn...

I have a P0430 on another car and I just ordered all four O2 sensors for $110 from rockauto.com. They are the Denso brand. I will swap them first before I swap out a catalyst.

Rockauto lists a new catalyst for $250 for your vehicle...shop around and save some money! Make the purchase then find an exhaust shop to install it for you.

Last edited by Bgw70; 05-15-15 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-15-15, 06:48 AM
memokc
Rookie

The tech said that all of my O2 sensors were fine and in in proper working conditions. TRUST ME, I was hoping he was going to say it was just an O2 sensor.
Old 05-15-15, 06:53 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by memokc
The tech said that all of my O2 sensors were fine and in in proper working conditions. TRUST ME, I was hoping he was going to say it was just an O2 sensor.
Google those codes and learn how they show up. Also, read my previous post again...get a second opinion...ask for options. It's like visiting the doctor...second opinion.
Old 05-15-15, 07:01 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Mechanics are bad people...

There are a couple fixes you can try, They are highly disputed, but on the other hand they have worked for many:

1. If you have not done aftermarket headers with increased airflow, a P0430 and P0420 just means you Cat is operating below 95% efficiency. You can put Seafoam in a vacuum line and it WILL clean the Cats. I saw this trick on a Scotty Kilmer video. I would not beleive it for myself, but when my mechanic looked into my Cat when installing PPE headers, he said the Cat looked like brand new. He had never seen a Cat this clean in a 13 year old car. The only explanation I can think of is the Seafoam I ran to clean the Cat.

2. You can try oxygen sensor spacers. I just installed them yesterday along with the O2 sensors post Cat and the OBD reader did not return a code. If no p0430 and p0420 returns it is problem solved. You must try this too before spending $4000 on the advice of a bad mechanic.

Many people put spacers into cars with no Cats at all, and no code is returned!!

By the way, only the first pair of Cats influence the emissions. I hope this bad person didn't suggest replacing all 4.

3. There are also lots of high flow Cats you can buy for less than $100 each. My mechanic said these work better than OEM due to newer technology. If you are in the DC Metro area, I can give you his number.

Please try these options before spending $4000. Also, feel free to message me anytime!

-Lex
Old 05-15-15, 07:09 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Here are spacers I just installed yesterday:

Amazon.com: 2 Pack O2 Sensor Spacer Adapter Extender: Automotive Amazon.com: 2 Pack O2 Sensor Spacer Adapter Extender: Automotive

Let me know if anyone needs help or a DIY....
The following users liked this post:
tasformwoo (08-03-17)
Old 05-15-15, 08:48 AM
memokc
Rookie

Thanks Lex, everything on my truck is stock so if the aftermarket spacers will work that is great, I just done want the lights to come back on down the road. Yes he said that I needed to replace ALL four CATS. I have read mixed reviews on using Seafoam, not saying that it doesn't work. I just want this fixed because like I said, the truck runs AMAZING!

Last edited by memokc; 05-15-15 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-15-15, 09:17 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

This is a very, very bad mechanic.

It is impossible for the second set of cats to influence you check engine lights since they are located AFTER the sensor. Codes P0430 and p0420 read decreased efficiency for the primary cat. Ask anyone. You have ran into a very dishonest mechanic...

If you are handy you can install the spacers yourself. And why listen to what others say about Seafoam? Most of those people have not used it for themselves. Try it for yourself and see..

Quick Reply: Oxygen Sensor Spacer Mystery/Enigma