SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 passenger airbag recal 2nd letter

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-15, 10:48 AM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SC430 passenger airbag recal 2nd letter

Just received the 2nd letter from Lexus asking to take the SC430 to dealer for the passenger airbag recall. Letter says it will take 2 hrs.

Last time I went and the dealer checked my 2002 SC430 saying I was fine. Now I heard all the airbags will be replaced.
Old 04-02-15, 12:32 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

I think that they extended their recall list to include more items than they originally had listed. I got the impression from them that if you've already had the recall done that there is not more to be done though. However, that may depend on the car rather than my experience.
Old 04-02-15, 01:41 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

http://www.lexus.com/recall/index.ht...ehiclesSection

TORRANCE, Calif., June 11, 2014 — Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. today announced that it will re-notify owners of certain vehicles involved in an April, 2013 safety recall for the front passenger airbag inflators installed in several models. Toyota is modifying the remedy procedure.

The 2013 recall remedy involved inspection of the front passenger air bag, and, if equipped with an affected inflator, the inflator would be replaced with a newly manufactured one at no charge to the owner.

Toyota has determined that the involved serial numbers provided by the supplier were incomplete, and did not include all of the potentially involved inflators.

For vehicles which were inspected and did not receive a replacement inflator, Toyota will re-notify the owners and replace the inflator with a new one.

For vehicles which have not received the 2013 recall remedy previously, Toyota is changing the remedy from "inspect and replace the inflator if it is involved" to "replace the inflator with a new one."

The involved vehicles were equipped with front passenger airbag inflators which could have been assembled with improperly manufactured propellant. Improperly manufactured propellant could cause the inflator to rupture and the front passenger airbag to deploy abnormally in the event of a crash.

Approximately 766,300 vehicles in the US were covered by the 2013 recall, including vehicles that were previously inspected and already received a replacement inflator. This recall involves certain Model Year 2003-2004 Toyota Corolla, Corolla Matrix, and Tundra; certain Model Year 2002-2004 Sequoia; and certain Model Year 2002-2004 Lexus SC 430 coupes.

Owners of vehicles subject to this safety recall will receive an owner notification letter by first class mail.

Detailed information is available to customers at www.toyota.com/recall, the Toyota Customer Experience at 1 800-331-4331, and Lexus Customer Satisfaction (1 800-255-3987).

Last edited by rudyH; 04-02-15 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-02-15, 07:04 PM
grahamw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation SC430 passenger airbag recall

I had the recall letter.
So I took my car to the local Lexus repair garage, they loaned me a new IS 300 hybrid (nice car, but tooo expensive).
All smiles and helpfull.
Got a phone call, it seems before they can take the dashboard out, they have to remove the steering column. While doing this, the centre of the column droped into the outer and they could not get it out. Only solution was a new colomn, which Lexus would not pay for.
So my free replacement airbag recall check cost me over £1300 and as an added bonus, the speakers in side the dashboard now rattle.
The excuse for me having to pay up was that Lexus say that this fault in the column often occurs when the car has had a front end crash. Not since I owned it and the main dealer service never suggested anything wrong. I had 2 choices, pay for the new column, they would fit it as part of the recall actions, or arrange to have the car picked up and sort it myself as the dashboard and sterring coloum are not on the car and it is un drivable.
Nice cars, but crap Lexus service.
my advice, if the car is more than 5 years old, only have the seroius recalls done and use a non franchaised service agent for the annual servicing, lot cheaper and no gain in useing Lexus main dealers.
Old 04-02-15, 08:06 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Now should I have the inflator replaced? Really hate the idea of taking apart the dash.
Old 04-02-15, 10:34 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for posting this info. I checked the VIN for my '04 and found it is not part of the recall.
Old 04-03-15, 12:19 AM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

I got mine done by Sydney City Lexus, perfect job no rattles or squeaks from the dash board and everything works. They even gave a 12 warranty on the workmanship and parts.
Old 04-03-15, 12:29 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by grahamw
I had the recall letter.
So I took my car to the local Lexus repair garage, they loaned me a new IS 300 hybrid (nice car, but tooo expensive).
All smiles and helpfull.
Got a phone call, it seems before they can take the dashboard out, they have to remove the steering column. While doing this, the centre of the column droped into the outer and they could not get it out. Only solution was a new colomn, which Lexus would not pay for.
So my free replacement airbag recall check cost me over £1300 and as an added bonus, the speakers in side the dashboard now rattle.
The excuse for me having to pay up was that Lexus say that this fault in the column often occurs when the car has had a front end crash. Not since I owned it and the main dealer service never suggested anything wrong. I had 2 choices, pay for the new column, they would fit it as part of the recall actions, or arrange to have the car picked up and sort it myself as the dashboard and sterring coloum are not on the car and it is un drivable.
Nice cars, but crap Lexus service.
my advice, if the car is more than 5 years old, only have the seroius recalls done and use a non franchaised service agent for the annual servicing, lot cheaper and no gain in useing Lexus main dealers.
Hi Graham

Welcome to CL, good to see another Brit on here.
Sorry to here of your problems with the recall.
I can only say that I had my recall done at my local Lexus dealer last year and it was a faultless experience. Although my car is heavily modified, I have always used them for my serviceing and annual MOT for the nine years I have owned the car and they have always given me excellent service.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-25-19, 08:51 PM
Crashxxx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some damage done to my car by Lexus when replacing the airbag

Hi there,

I have recently taken my car to a local Lexus dealership in Sydney and when I got the car back I noticed that the wood panel in the dashboard was cracked. They agreed to replace it.

What I then noticed is that the back cover of the driver seat (the plastic cover at the back that goes along the whole seat) was pretty much off. It was hanging by one clip. Looked as if they just tear it off, breaking other clips.

The question is - does anyone know what exactly is involved in replacing the faulty Takata airbag? Do they have to get inside the driver seat as part of the process (e.g. replace an occupancy sensor) ?

I am sure that the cover was not like this before they worked on the car.

Thanks!
Old 09-25-19, 11:49 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by Crashxxx
Hi there,

I have recently taken my car to a local Lexus dealership in Sydney and when I got the car back I noticed that the wood panel in the dashboard was cracked. They agreed to replace it.

What I then noticed is that the back cover of the driver seat (the plastic cover at the back that goes along the whole seat) was pretty much off. It was hanging by one clip. Looked as if they just tear it off, breaking other clips.

The question is - does anyone know what exactly is involved in replacing the faulty Takata airbag? Do they have to get inside the driver seat as part of the process (e.g. replace an occupancy sensor) ?

Thanks!
No, I don’t think the seat has anything to do with the airbag recall. They just replace the faulty inflator, which is inside the dashboard.
Old 09-26-19, 05:36 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I think somebody damaged the trim, how, we will never know. Try to file a claim.
Old 09-29-19, 01:57 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Crashxxx
Hi there,

Thanks!
there are two screws and two clips holding it in place. This has happened to me along with several others. If the clip is broken, you will need to replace the part.