SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Passenger Airbag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-13, 04:18 PM
Idaho430
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC430 Passenger Airbag Recall

Wondering how many on here have received notice of a factory recall for a defective passenger airbag on our SC's? Our 2002 was called in and the dealer said they wouldn't know if the recall applied until they completely disassembled the interior dash/trim/console!

Last edited by Idaho430; 10-31-13 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-13-13, 06:18 PM
barncat
Lead Lap

Check recent forum topic on the recall. A lot is explained there. Use the search engine for (sc430 airbag recall.)
Old 10-13-13, 08:08 PM
SC43052
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In this case I wouldn't blame Lexus, I would blame the dealer.

What a bunch of bone-heads. Ahead of your visit they know the exact work to be done, and they know exactly which part will be needed. Why would they schedule the work without the part being in stock. And then try to leave you without a car for 10 days! Unbelievable. After you get your car back I would write a letter to Lexus.

I may never take mine in after hearing horror stories of things not working after they are done putting the dash back together.
Old 10-14-13, 05:46 AM
Idaho430
Rookie

Originally Posted by SC43052
Why would they schedule the work without the part being in stock.
Yep...basically my point. They claim they never know when an individual car rolls in if it will require the fix so it doesn't make sense to have the parts on hand. Seems like they could figure there will be at least some vehicles that will need it though.

Originally Posted by SC43052
I may never take mine in after hearing horror stories of things not working after they are done putting the dash back together.
This occurred to me as well but I wasn't going to drive around with a malfunctioning airbag. My wife is often in the passenger seat and I couldn't live with that with a clear conscience. Hoping they get it right.
Old 10-14-13, 07:40 AM
momssc
Driver

[QUOTE=Idaho430;8185863]Wondering how many on here have received notice of a factory recall for a defective passenger airbag on our SC's? Our 2002 was called in and the dealer said they wouldn't know if the recall applied until they completely disassembled the interior dash/trim/console! We left the car with them for the day and didn't hear back until almost closing time. When they did call they said that our vehicle did indeed have the malfunctioning part and that it would take approximately 10 days to get the part in! They would have to keep the car the whole time because it was actually illegal for them to return it w/o the airbag properly working. They were going to leave us hanging but we fought for (and eventually got) a loaner for the whole time, but the whole thing seems a bit screwy to me. Why would Lexus recall a part and not readily make it available to dealers? [/QUOTE

After you get the car back, can you post your build date that is on the sticker on the door jamb?THX
Old 10-14-13, 07:54 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I called to book an appointment to take my wife's 2003 in for the airbag recall, they scheduled it about 10 days later to allow for the part to be in stock when I came. As it turned out, we didn't need to have the sensor replaced. But this is what the dealer should have done for you.
Old 10-14-13, 10:44 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

I put my experience in the second link on the recall.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...4-sc430-7.html
Old 10-15-13, 03:55 AM
Moondog
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I did get the notice and took my car in last week. The dealer here in Atlanta was very kind and apologetic that it would take so long. The did say that Lexus would not send the part until needed. I took my SC in on Saturday and they said it would not be ready until Wed/Thur of the following week. The initial check took about 1 hour. I drove off in a loaner/courtesy car that they quickly offered. They called yesterday (Monday) to give me an update.
Old 10-16-13, 05:51 PM
Idaho430
Rookie

Latest word from the dealer is that the part will take two full business weeks to even arrive in town! Right when the sweet fall weather has just hit here. Sunny and and mild out and my convertible is sitting in a garage somewhere completely torn apart!
Old 10-16-13, 06:33 PM
PATLESS
Driver School Candidate

Default airbag recall?

Took my 02 in yesterday and they said they would do it the next day. I have an rx to enjoy in the meantime. I asked them to write on the invoice that my SC had a perfect dash with no blemishes, and everything worked perfectly, they did. Called today and was told it would be done Thrusday. The service adviser also said that the dash did not have to come out, they are able to do the work from under the dash??? Has anyone else heard this, or are they trying to get away with something. Very interesting, will post an update
Old 10-17-13, 03:35 PM
Idaho430
Rookie

Latest update....THE PART IS BACK ORDERED ALL OVER THE COUNTRY. More bad news on what is turning out to be a major debacle.

Patless-The dash must be pretty completely dismantled to swap out the inflator. I have seen mine sitting in the dealer's garage and believe me it is not just the glove box that comes out for the repair (to check if they need to do the repair yes...but not the repair itself.)
Old 10-23-13, 01:35 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Dropped my car off today in regards to the recall at Eskridge Lexus in OKC, and they gave me 2014 RX450 loaner with less than 200 miles on it. They won't actually be able to check my car out until tomorrow morning to see if the inflator actually needs replacement. If it will take more than a day then I will keep the loaner til it's completed as I live about 100 miles away from the dealership. Luckily they have the part in stock so if it does need replacement they will start right away. I had to fill them in on my modifications, especially about the media player and wires that run through the glove box and near the shifter for my audio integration. Hopefully they won't destroy anything in the repair. As recommended, I took photos and video of the entire interior and instrument cluster to show no Check Engine Lights exist, as well as that all the interior parts are functional and no tears or scratches to the leather or side panels. I showed them the slight "bubble" I have forming on the dash (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...sh-bubble.html), and they said they will try to fix it while they have the dash apart. Tech said he's never seen anything like it before. Tech asked if the top still works. Apparently they have to drop the top to remove the ENTIRE front dash, center console/radio, and side pillars if it actually needs the repair. He said they've done two other recalls already. Anyway, I will update as I find out more. Fingers crossed that they don't destroy my baby.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 10-23-13 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-24-13, 11:58 PM
lexie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the best technician to work on this recall is the AC technicians specialize in replacing the ac evaporator since he has to remove the whole dash to get to the evaporator.
Old 10-25-13, 09:35 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Dropped my car off today in regards to the recall at Eskridge Lexus in OKC, and they gave me 2014 RX450 loaner with less than 200 miles on it. They won't actually be able to check my car out until tomorrow morning to see if the inflator actually needs replacement. If it will take more than a day then I will keep the loaner til it's completed as I live about 100 miles away from the dealership. Luckily they have the part in stock so if it does need replacement they will start right away. I had to fill them in on my modifications, especially about the media player and wires that run through the glove box and near the shifter for my audio integration. Hopefully they won't destroy anything in the repair. As recommended, I took photos and video of the entire interior and instrument cluster to show no Check Engine Lights exist, as well as that all the interior parts are functional and no tears or scratches to the leather or side panels. I showed them the slight "bubble" I have forming on the dash (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...sh-bubble.html), and they said they will try to fix it while they have the dash apart. Tech said he's never seen anything like it before. Tech asked if the top still works. Apparently they have to drop the top to remove the ENTIRE front dash, center console/radio, and side pillars if it actually needs the repair. He said they've done two other recalls already. Anyway, I will update as I find out more. Fingers crossed that they don't destroy my baby.

Best of luck to you. I am on the fence on this one.
Old 10-25-13, 04:58 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

So the dealership ended up not doing the "pre-check" for the replacement as they had promised even though I had schedule a month in advance. I even dropped the car off a day earlier so it would be there on the morning of the scheduled day so they could start right away. They didn't call me til 5pm on the scheduled day to say they hadn't gotten to it yet. They got to it the next day after I had to spend an extra night at a hotel in OKC ($80/night) rather then drive the 200 miles home just to come back the next day if I didn't need the recall. They called me the next morning to tell me that my car did not need the replacement and that I could pick it up anytime. I asked if they repaired the little "dash bubble," to which the service adviser said they did. I had also asked them to look into the windshield sprayers as they weren't spraying very well and were probably clogged. When they called me, they told me that the dash bubble was repaired and the clogged washer heads would cost $80 in labor. I said forget it and I would just use a needle to clear them. I went to pick the car up and tested all my mod's which were still functional, but the dash bubble was not repaired. I was pretty disappointed. Anyway, I guess that's the end of that. Two days wasted in OKC, $80 in hotel bills, no recall needed, and no repair of the dash but I did get a topped off gas tank, comp car wash, and the loaner even though I only put 30 miles on it. Go figure.

Quick Reply: SC430 Passenger Airbag Recall