SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Factory stereo replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-14, 12:26 AM
TheRob32
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory stereo replacement

Hello friends! I have a silver Lexus SC430 and I love it. I just don't love the stereo. I am about to do an entire stereo upgrade to aftermarket. I'm getting a new head unit, amps, speakers, and subwoofer. I don't intend to use any of the Martin Logan speakers, amp, or CD player. I have read up on here a bit, and I learned about the Beatsonic unit that everyone uses. If I do a full upgrade to aftermarket speakers, head unit, and amp, do I still need to spend the money on the Beatsonic unit? I'd much rather not spend the money on it if I don't really need it. If I do decide not to spend the money on the Beatsonic unit, what functions would I lose? I plan on getting everything professionally installed at a local shop. Thanks for your help!
Old 09-18-14, 01:41 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

From what I understand, you'll lose steering wheel stereo controls, and the navigation (whose electronics run through the stereo).

But, I'm speaking anecdotally. Others who have more experience with the Beatsonic module can speak to more detail.
Old 09-18-14, 01:50 PM
editordz
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TheRob32,

I just did what you're asking. I replaced everything, every speaker, amp, head unit, etc. You definitely don't need the Beatsonic, it integrates with the existing ML amp. I did not successfully get steering wheel controls to work (used AXXESS ASWC-TOY-LEX), but everything else is like night and day and works great. Took me two weekends and a couple of evenings after work.

-Dan
Old 09-18-14, 03:23 PM
loveslexus
The Dog Whisperer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What component speakers (6.5") fit depth wise in the front doors?
Old 09-18-14, 03:31 PM
editordz
Rookie

I put in the Rockford Fosgate T2652-S T2 Power 6.5-Inch Component Speaker System which fit nicely.
Old 09-18-14, 06:13 PM
TheRob32
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Habious
From what I understand, you'll lose steering wheel stereo controls, and the navigation (whose electronics run through the stereo).

But, I'm speaking anecdotally. Others who have more experience with the Beatsonic module can speak to more detail.
That navigation is old anyway. I never use it. I can do without the steering controls too.

Originally Posted by editordz
TheRob32,

I just did what you're asking. I replaced everything, every speaker, amp, head unit, etc. You definitely don't need the Beatsonic, it integrates with the existing ML amp. I did not successfully get steering wheel controls to work (used AXXESS ASWC-TOY-LEX), but everything else is like night and day and works great. Took me two weekends and a couple of evenings after work.

-Dan
Did you have to buy any other wiring harnesses besides AXXESS ASWC-TOY-LEX? A shame it doesn't allow steering controls to work since that is exactly what the product says it is meant for lol.

I know you said everything else works, but does that include the motorized door? I don't know why, but I really like that thing!

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-18-14, 07:15 PM
pvong713
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheRob32
That navigation is old anyway. I never use it. I can do without the steering controls too.

Did you have to buy any other wiring harnesses besides AXXESS ASWC-TOY-LEX? A shame it doesn't allow steering controls to work since that is exactly what the product says it is meant for lol.

I know you said everything else works, but does that include the motorized door? I don't know why, but I really like that thing!

Thanks for the help!
So let me get this straight, with the AXXESS ASWC-TOY-LEX can I plug this with an aftermarket stereo with my ML AMP. I don't care about the stupid steering wheel I never even use it even when I do have the orginal factory.
Old 09-18-14, 09:38 PM
editordz
Rookie

Originally Posted by TheRob32

Thanks for the help!
Yes, I agree about the harness, I only purchased it for the steering wheel control, and it didn't work. I didn't buy any other harnesses, I simply spliced into the existing harness. Since I was replacing everything, that wasn't an issue. As for the audio door, yes, it works. The one for the navigation doesn't at the moment, but I didn't try to get that to work in the first place (I have removed all the navigation components in the trunk and use the new head unit for nav). I'm reasonably sure I could get it to work if I put my mind to it.

Good luck!
Old 09-18-14, 10:01 PM
editordz
Rookie

Originally Posted by pvong713
So let me get this straight, with the AXXESS ASWC-TOY-LEX can I plug this with an aftermarket stereo with my ML AMP. I don't care about the stupid steering wheel I never even use it even when I do have the orginal factory.
No. The AXXESS ASWC-TOY-LEX only connects the steering wheel controls to an aftermarket stereo, not any of the other connections (power, antenna, audio, etc). And at least in my case, that didn't even work. To fully integrate an aftermarket stereo into the existing ML audio system (head unit swap), you'll need the Beatsonic adapter (which incidentally also includes steering wheel controls).
Old 09-18-14, 11:30 PM
JJsRX350
Driver School Candidate

If you plan on replacing everything (the factory radio, the factory amp and the speakers) you DO NOT need any radio interface. Don't spend your hard earned money on something you don't need. A radio interface is only needed if you ONLY replace the factory radio and plan to use the factory amp and factory speakers. The best steering wheel interface on the market is the Metra/Axxess. They are flawless. I have installed over 75 (SW1).
Old 09-19-14, 01:34 AM
TheRob32
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by editordz
Yes, I agree about the harness, I only purchased it for the steering wheel control, and it didn't work. I didn't buy any other harnesses, I simply spliced into the existing harness. Since I was replacing everything, that wasn't an issue. As for the audio door, yes, it works. The one for the navigation doesn't at the moment, but I didn't try to get that to work in the first place (I have removed all the navigation components in the trunk and use the new head unit for nav). I'm reasonably sure I could get it to work if I put my mind to it.

Good luck!
Happy to hear the you could get the audio door to work. I'm going to make sure the shop I use gets everything working that should be working. I might still try and get the steering controls to work though. Maybe I'll have better luck there.

Originally Posted by JJsRX350
If you plan on replacing everything (the factory radio, the factory amp and the speakers) you DO NOT need any radio interface. Don't spend your hard earned money on something you don't need. A radio interface is only needed if you ONLY replace the factory radio and plan to use the factory amp and factory speakers. The best steering wheel interface on the market is the Metra/Axxess. They are flawless. I have installed over 75 (SW1).
That radio interface is overpriced. A new head unit won't even cost me over $400. Hopefully this job isn't too complicated for my local shop. I have had some bad experiences with these shops over the years. This one has been around a long time so hopefully they know what they are doing.