SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Sc430-blue/ecru 43k/$21000

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-14, 09:50 AM
Buggeroff6
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sc430-blue/ecru 43k/$21000

HI, I am on short sanity with all the b.s on car ads on the net, but naturally, I go for the bottom feeder price in my fav. colours, being blue/eccru. There's one on Cars.com and autotrader.com which is said 21KUSD for 43K. Looking around, it seems like no other car is quite that low priced w.o about 30K more miles. I called Select Auto Group in PA and they had a crappy cell connection, but only admitted the car needing new tires (run flats apparently run out). There is so much to check out, even if I went NUTS tomorrow and drove out there (6+ hrs. from BOS, MA). I can't find a "get an independent inspection" as Ebay sometimes sub-lets ads for. Is anyone remotely familiar with this vehilde or seller? I have been seeing TWO identical Infiniti G37 convertibles on ebay which are apparently lemon law refunds which DON'T EVEN SHOW UP AS REBOUGHT/RESELLING on Auto Chump. I know that's a newer car, but jeesh, it is really impossible to mash up whether this car is a post bash up or other things. My family thinks I'm nuts to go that far for a car...they'd prefer me getting a Camry Solara Convertible-ewwweeee!
I was thinking I might go on FRI.....any quick suggestions appreciated, or you can send direct to hoistup@comcast.net.
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1
Old 06-12-14, 04:36 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

What year is this blue/ecru SC430 ? With 43K miles, the rfts are definitely in need of replacement if they were OEM fit. Never heard of Select Auto in PA though.
Old 06-12-14, 05:11 PM
Lexeffect
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 2002 Lexus SC430 you are looking at seems to be in very good condition. All panels line up, leather is perfect, license plate never screwed into front bumper etc... However, I found another on Autotrader that might deserve your attention as well. 2003 SC430 Blue over Ecru leather, 35,225 miles for $22,991.00 @ Autonation Nissan, Irving Texas. Both are very nice. However, you could go up one year and shave off 7,923 miles for roughly the same price with some negotiating. The 2003 also has nicer chrome TRD wheels and no license plate ever mounted as well if that interests you. Give them both some thought.
Old 06-12-14, 09:46 PM
mohrd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geez, that's a tough one. 6 hours away...can you make it a couple day trip and get it checked out? Seems to have had the same PA Title for years but, it was never serviced at a Lexus dealer? And, where was it between '06 and '11? As there was no renewals during that time according to the CarFax.

Main question is what is your "real" budget. You are looking at a 12 year old car that needs at least new tires. Do you have some extra $ aside just in case? Any used vehicle is a gamble. If you've got the means and it's not breaking the bank, go have a look. Think about that 6 hour drive back. You can get acquainted.
Old 06-13-14, 04:04 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexeffect
The 2002 Lexus SC430 you are looking at seems to be in very good condition. All panels line up, leather is perfect, license plate never screwed into front bumper etc... However, I found another on Autotrader that might deserve your attention as well. 2003 SC430 Blue over Ecru leather, 35,225 miles for $22,991.00 @ Autonation Nissan, Irving Texas. Both are very nice. However, you could go up one year and shave off 7,923 miles for roughly the same price with some negotiating. The 2003 also has nicer chrome TRD wheels and no license plate ever mounted as well if that interests you. Give them both some thought.
great advice! I would take the Texas car.
Old 06-16-14, 08:01 AM
Buggeroff6
Pit Crew

Default Thanks people!

Hey, thanks for the replies!
-I saw the Texas car, one year newer, on the web, but I have very negative views of cars sold in FLA, TX and NH, where there is no substantial buyer “lemon law”. It is also about the furthest away short of CA to go from Boston for one (PA was bad enough)!
-I “managed” to convince the Select Auto GROUP car salesman to have my car driven 15” over to Tompson Lexus for a “used car inspection”. I hope I end up with relatively minor stuff, but right now I believe the rotors and or brakes are rumbling far too excessively, the tires have plenty of tread-but I can change em’ at home, and there are a lot of “non warranty code repairs” showing up in the LExus Owners’ web site.
I am kind of a wimp, so supposing the brakes/rotors and a few other cost to repair things are necessary, any suggestions on how to “barter it” with seller? His comment in general was, “Hey, if it’s’ something that will need work six months down the line, like an upper tie rod, that’s not something to fix”. I am paying $200 for the inspection, so should I tell him he HAS to replace any immediate sub-standard component like brakes or (?_other?), or he reduces the car price by line items and I pay for the work?
Any suggestions appreciated.
BONUS: SALES P.R from Tire Rack or ?: I see Bridgestone Pole pos. run flats are tested along with Michelin R.F’s. So many of you have changed out of rft’s, yet the article on T.R makes hoopla about how suspensions tuned for RFT’s will handle better and be MORE like conventionals than ever before…sure! Are they “spinnning” what they’re selling or what?
Old 06-16-14, 08:10 AM
Buggeroff6
Pit Crew

I am trying to throw the Lexus owners service history onto the attachment board...it's a little tricky, and there are a couple pages it won't let me fit on!
Attached Thumbnails Sc430-blue/ecru 43k/000-screen-shot-2014-06-15-at-4.34.13-am.png   Sc430-blue/ecru 43k/000-screen-shot-2014-06-15-at-4.33.38-am.png   Sc430-blue/ecru 43k/000-screen-shot-2014-06-15-at-4.32.57-am.png   Sc430-blue/ecru 43k/000-screen-shot-2014-06-15-at-4.32.11-am.png   Sc430-blue/ecru 43k/000-screen-shot-2014-06-15-at-4.31.09-am.png  

Old 06-16-14, 08:18 PM
Lexeffect
Driver

I don't see anything out of the ordinary according to the service sheets provided. It seems it has been maintained properly throughout its life. I would buy it with confidence, knowing there are some things that might need attention simply because of the fact the car is a 2002. I've seen service history on cars with 50,000 miles on the clock and only 5 or 6 entries in ten years...
Old 06-18-14, 05:40 AM
Buggeroff6
Pit Crew

Well the Lexus inspection supoosedly sh I owed car in good shape but for a motor mount and windshield sprayer obstruction. WHat I still have concern about was the fact that I heard the run flats be a LOT louder in some kind of noise when brakes were applied. I did this on 30mph roads, having already heard the louder rotational sound (but no shaky steering or weird handling) when in normal motion.
If its the frts, why does hitting the brakes, even gradually and gently, make the noise louder, if the pads and rotors are said to be ok? Is weight shift enough to do this? Are non run flats actually quieter in braking? Its surprising to me that brakes weren't culpable. The tires aren't from 02 and seem to have plenty of tread-is this 'just the way it is'??
Old 06-18-14, 03:54 PM
Lexeffect
Driver

Generally any 'chuffing' noise when applying the brakes can be attributed to the brake pads. They will do this only temporarily when new until the pad 'seats' properly. After that, no noise should be heard. Any rotational sound and or pulling left or right can be a result of warped rotors. With new pads and rotors brakes can be applied softly and gently or full force without any sounds and or pulling. Weight distribution will have nothing to do with this. Pertaining to your question regarding run flat tires- Traditional or run flat tires will have no bearing on noise during breaking. You should hear minimal noise if any when applying the brakes on these cars regardless of year if set up properly.