SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

The good and the bad all on the same day

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-14, 09:18 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default The good and the bad all on the same day

The good news first. Any SC 430 fan who knows their stuff should know what my plate means. My SC is a 2010, which is the last year they built the SC and made only 329. Hence mine is 1 of 329! That plate came in yesterday and was the first day my plate was on my SC

The bad news--some of you may have followed my story. I've been looking for the 2010 SC for 3 years and finally found it in Texas-I'm in southern cal. I bought it sight unseen and it was delivered with $10k in body damage. Everything you could imagine was there. Hail damage, industrial fallout (?), and dings from carelessness. After 1 1/2 months I got it back and two weeks later, a kid who was in a big hurry passed me on the right (I was in the center lane) and cut it short (intentionally) and caught my right front. He's blaming me for pulling out in front of him from a walmart parking lot. The problem is that I did turn right from the parking lot but the accident did not happen there. It didn't happen there. It happened down about 100 feet or so further down the road. Damages prove it happened the way I said. I was turning right so we were both going in the same direction-my damage is on my rt front and his is on his back left. Hope you can follow that. The better new is no injuries and damage is minor. After being without my baby for 1 1/2 months I hate to lose her again.

Not sure why I can only post one picture from my ipad!
Attached Thumbnails The good and the bad all on the same day-image.jpg  
Old 04-19-14, 09:20 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

Here is the damage. This paint was on her for barely 3 weeks!
Old 04-19-14, 09:46 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Gee you have had your share of bad luck. No one hurt thank god. Anything that can be fixed with money is not a problem . Fortunately your body shop that did the paint still has the correct color available and will be able to make it perfect. I know you must feel snakebite . I can feel your pain. In the end it will all be ok
Old 04-19-14, 09:58 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

solman
boy I tell you. you have had no luck with that car from the start maybe telling you something.
Old 04-19-14, 12:17 PM
mujinzoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with Mr Blister. It's a beautiful car. Best of luck in the future.
Old 04-19-14, 02:00 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

It sure seems to be unlucky to me too. On the other hand, I've been looking for three years and want to make this my life time car. I love the color combination and while I feel it was abused by the previous owner and the dealer was dishonest at the least to being guilty of fraud at the high end, it seems like this car needs me. I will take proper care of her and just because some idiot decides to drive like a moron and actually clips me, I will not give up. I know we've all seen these guys- they cut in and out of traffic and it's just a matter of time before they cut it short and take someone out-I was the someone. The timing and the fact that this type of carelessness did not have to happen will not lead me to give up on my new baby.

Another piece of good news is that while the audio system has built in XM, but there was no antenna. I actually got the sales brochure when the 2010 came out and it said that the antenna was a courtesy and your local dealer could install. It sounded like there was no charge for the antenna but the labor was a bit ambiguous. I took it to my local dealer and they said that was meant for only the original owner and the cost would be $200 for the antenna and $400 for the installation, but I should check with corporate Lexus and see if they would cover it as a courtesy. They said no, but then asked if I would scan the brochure and email it to them. They changed their mind and are paying everything.

I've have had xm and take it out whenever they make an offer for former customers. I now have a letter for $20/5 months which is good for my two cars and my motorhome. I wouldn't be a customer for the Lexus unless the antenna came free.

I'm a happy SC 430 owner and will roll with the punches. As a retired teacher, who still teaches part time, life is good. A little rain on my parade only makes me determined to have a great parade!
Old 04-19-14, 04:02 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I like your license plates. Sorry to learn the bad news. Keep a positive attitude, you walked away from this accident without injuries.
Old 04-19-14, 04:30 PM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

John,

What counts is that nobody got hurt.

BTW, I like your new tires. .

Did the newly chromed wheel survive without getting scratched?

JR
Old 04-19-14, 05:05 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

No damage to the new chromed wheel. The first year with the last year. Don't look 8 years apart. Thanks for all the well wishes, folks. I'm also glad no one was hurt.
Old 04-19-14, 09:07 PM
OBP
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Wow, tough stuff Solman. Hope this is the last of it for you on your beautiful 2010 and things are really smooth sailing from now on.
Old 04-19-14, 10:23 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Oh no! What a disaster! I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that you'll be able to enjoy your new car to the fullest soon!
Old 04-20-14, 02:50 AM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow you really are unlucky. Hope the shop can fix it perfectly so its not noticeable. A good thing about this happening so fast after you got it sprayed is that the "old" color is not faded, so the new bumber and fender should look exactly the same as the rest of the car ;-) And nobody got hurt of'course. Good luck in the future. You got a nice SC there :-)
Old 04-20-14, 03:21 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

John, with all the bad luck you've had it's got to turn around, any day now, any day now. I'm sure it's going to look just great when you get it back from the shop. At least you still your white one to drive while the new one is in the shop. Wishing you all the best from here on out.
Old 04-20-14, 11:38 AM
Lexeffect
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I honestly don't know what to say John. I'm at a loss for words actually. It's gotten to the point my fingers tremble slightly before opening one of your posts, because I simply don't know what else can happen to your SC430. You've done everything in your power to look after it properly. I've been following your SC430 since it left the Ford Dealership, and it seems the only days nothing has happened to it are the days it is getting fixed. I was thinking you were hoping (just a little...) that perhaps your car would have been totaled during the quake when others were falling off the lifts overnight. You could have then written it off and gotten the albatross off your back. I firmly believe however, all mishaps aside, that you and this particular SC430 were meant to be together. Other than myself perhaps, I can't imagine a more caring owner that is more particular about his SC430. WILL IT TO HAPPEN JOHN! MAKE IT CONFORM TO YOUR WISHES! As they say...Everything will work out in the end... If it hasn't worked out, it's not the end. Stay after it John! Happy Easter to you and your family. It is currently 71 degrees where I'm located with a 12 mph breeze. I shall do an extra 'hot lap' around town today for you sir!
Old 04-20-14, 08:18 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

It seems as though the posts now all concentrate on my bad luck. I don't quite see it that way. It's true it could of turned out better, but it can turn out much worse- no injuries! I might also add the ones that are really unlucky are all those folks who never had the opportunity to own one of these great cars. And me, I currently own TWO. Now that's not bad luck and all. But I do thank everyone for their concern and nice words. I bought my first SC 430 in June of 2008 and immediately joined this forum. It has been a gold mine of advice and a great way to meet a lot of neat people who share our common love of the SC. Happy Easter to all those who celebrate it and to those who don't, have a great week.

Quick Reply: The good and the bad all on the same day