SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Advice needed on removal of interior trim near driver

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-12, 10:15 AM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Advice needed on removal of interior trim near driver

I'm fitting some rear parking/reversing sensors.

I've decided to put the display for this (which is quite small... an LED display that shows distance/direction to obstacle etc) on top of the rear view mirror (the photo-chromatic one, not the outside "side" mirrors).

I've taken the Mirror assembly off and the reading light dome cluster... no problem. The LED display cable has now been threaded to follow the current wiring from the Mirror and I'm not stuck! Help!

I want to run that cable to it's control box in the boot/trunk.

The route I want to take is:
1. From the Rear View Mirror...
2. To the Reading Light Dome Cluster...
3. Inside the trim, along the top of the windscreen, in effect behind the sun visors....
4. Down the drivers side A Pillar...
5. ???? not sure... underneath the Kick Plate probably, under the rear carpet, under the rear seats...
6. Through the rear bulkhead into the boot/trunk following an existing wire.

Questions:

A. How to remove (I only need to loosed/peel back to be honest) the trim which meets the top of the windscreen (aka where the sun visors are). There are some fabric covered plastic push clips which I've taken off already... clearly a lot more is needed.

B. How to remove the Drivers A Pillar trim (if considered a seperate step to #A... again I just need to peel back tbh).

C. Any advice on the route to take from the drivers A Pillar to the rear bulk-head (aka the boot/trunk, I'm thinking #5 currently but happy to hear alternatives) and please accompany with instructions/diagrams on how to remove trim along this route.
Old 08-27-12, 08:27 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

From the A pillar there is a wire bundle raceway under the door sill. The rear seat cushion (bottom) pulls up and out front the center front of each sitting position. The wire can run along the underside of the seat back, you may want to loosen or remove two bolts. There is a rear firewall pass throught port on the passenger side...wait.... Is all this reverse for right hand drive cars????
Old 08-28-12, 01:40 AM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
From the A pillar there is a wire bundle raceway under the door sill. The rear seat cushion (bottom) pulls up and out front the center front of each sitting position. The wire can run along the underside of the seat back, you may want to loosen or remove two bolts. There is a rear firewall pass throught port on the passenger side...wait.... Is all this reverse for right hand drive cars????
Yeah, that's why I said "Driver" rather than left/right.

I can whip out the rear seats (as opposed to the backs) easy enough having seen many posts about that. I guess if I did that I'd know where the wire bundle raceway headed (from the pass through port) and could work it backwards from that with little effort.
Old 08-28-12, 05:08 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

You may want to look at this thread: Luxlink install more specifically posts 92 and 116. (pages 7 & 8) Both posts have PDFs attached to them that contain detailed DIY info about taking the car apart. Should be the same for yours, just reversed for the right hand drive version.
Old 08-28-12, 09:53 AM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Thanks Bob, I've downloaded the two PDF's and had a quick glance, will study them in more detail this evening. Some good stuff there about the rear seat removal and some of the wiring paths towards the back of the car.

Now I need to sort out the front bits... A Pillar, Kick Plate etc... Do you have a PDF that covers the kick plate/carpet? And even more importantly PDF's that cover the overhead trim (near top of windscreen/sun visors)?

Also I could really do with some help on the topic of the rear bumper cover removal (see my post https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...per-cover.html) too :-)
Old 08-28-12, 12:47 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

Hi Scarletti

Few photos that may help you.

I had to run a battery cable to the trunk when I installed my air suspension and ran it the way Bob said.

Can't help you with the A pillar, but from there:-
Unclip the front side panel in the foot well.
Remove the passenger side (UK) kick plate and fold back the carpet to expose the main wiring harness. Unclip the rear side panel and either follow the main harness into the trunk or take it through the centre cable entry.

Hope this helps.

Best regards
Steve
Attached Thumbnails Advice needed on removal of interior trim near driver-dsc_3040a.jpg   Advice needed on removal of interior trim near driver-dsc_3039a.jpg   Advice needed on removal of interior trim near driver-dsc_3095a.jpg   Advice needed on removal of interior trim near driver-dsc_3038a.jpg  
Old 08-28-12, 01:18 PM
Scarletti
Pole Position

That's great, should be quite useful indeed!

MOT in a couple of days (and SC has been SORN'd for 2 years) so busy busy getting it ready... esp. sorting out the exhausts.

Hopefully will get to the cabling on the w/e.

Cheers!
Old 09-10-12, 10:30 AM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Well, the original garage I'd lined up for the MOT was messing me around causing a delay in getting a booking, so booked elsewhere a week ago and it passed this afternoon. phew!

I had planned on replacing all 4 Discs/Rotors over the next few months anyway, however the MOT inspectors comments may mean doing it a little sooner.

Another interesting comment was the Inspector had to re-check the exhaust omissions and his test gear... he thought there was something wrong when they all read as zero as he didn't think a Lexus would be that good at this age :-) (The Lamda sensor was replaced 7k miles ago which may have something to do with it).

Ended up taking the Heat Shield off completely, apparently it's only their to comply with Japanese regulations and it's a "useless piece of aluminium" according to the proprietor of the Garage I used.