SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

roof drive motor failed

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-12, 02:11 PM
dbcolli
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default roof drive motor failed

I just left the dealer and was shocked that they diagnosed my roof failure as an open in the roof drive motor LH circuit the error code is B2504. Now the shocking part is the est cost to repair is between 5 and 8 grand. My car is 2002 in great shape with 105k miles. Any one else with this problem, I told the dealer this maybe a hartop car from now on.

Don
Old 06-18-12, 02:36 PM
VVTiBob

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Yep, but mine was covered by extended warranty which paid $5500 after they sent their own tech to verify the failure. This is a labor intensive repair, if indeed, it is the problem. Others have had errors similar to this only to discover the drive cable had slipped off its guide and once it was properly reseated, and a battery reboot of the affected position and switches it worked fine once again.
I specifically remember a quote from my dealer when they told me mine had failed...the only time they'd seen a failure was when the car had been in a collision. Well mine had not been, but the warranty company verified the failure so I suppose they can wear out.
Old 06-18-12, 02:42 PM
VVTiBob

This may be a good thread to read through: Retractable-top-issue-resolutions
Old 06-18-12, 03:07 PM
VVTiBob

Did a little checking in the 2002 FSM regarding the 2504 error:
The manual says the detecting condition for a 2504 error
"When the slide roof control ECU allows the roof drive motor (LH) to operate the circuit is open.
Or the motor lock current (more than 10A) is not detected even when the roof panel reaches an either end."

The trouble areas for a 2504 error are as follows:
1. Sliding roof drive gear assembly LH
2. Sliding roof drive gear assembly LH circuit
3. Sliding roof control ECU assembly

Can you be more specific about what the roof does or does not do? Were all fuses checked? We're the cable guides inspected ?
I don't want to get your hopes up, but it may, or may not be as bad as your being told. But if it is the LH motor failure then it could be like mine. But for the sake of argument let's say it the roof ECU...well new the part 89720‑24010 lists around $1400 but xvipers has the same part used for $295 and it's a plug and play DIY install.
Old 06-18-12, 04:07 PM
dbcolli
Rookie

When I tried to open the roof all was normal the trunk lid went up the package tray went up I could hear the latches release on the winshield but that is as far it would go until I gave the roof a hand push above the rear view mirror then the top went into the trunk like normal. When I tried to close the roof the roof would not move from the trunk until I would give the roof a lift with my hand a couple of inches then it would close like normal. Sounds .like fuses and cables are ok but maybe the motor has a dead spot on it or bad switch. whatever happens it sounds expensive. I did see the motor on ebay for $299 but getting it installed is another problem.

Don.
Old 06-18-12, 07:04 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
The trouble areas for a 2504 error are as follows:
2. Sliding roof drive gear assembly LH circuit.
Of the three, that is the cheapest -- wonder exactly what is involved in the "circuit."

Originally Posted by dbcolli
maybe the motor has a dead spot on it or bad switch..
From a logical point of view, that makes the most sense. I just went through your pain (see this thread). In my situation, a switch had contact while the top started to move, but then lost contact during movement, which caused the top to stop. Of course, the dealer wanted to replace everything, they always do.

It seems very significant that your top works fine, except in the fully closed or fully open position. It's not like your motor is totally fried. Maybe the ECU is just getting a faulty report from a bad sensor at that position..
Old 06-19-12, 09:25 AM
iceman14
Driver School Candidate

I also have a problem with the roof, but not all the time. It sometimes doesnt seat at the end of the cycle when opening but i turn the key off then back on and i hear it catch and the light on the dash goes out. Anybody else have this problem?
Old 06-19-12, 09:48 AM
lugnuts
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sensors can really be a pain.....
Old 06-20-12, 05:32 AM
dbcolli
Rookie

Just an update, I took the car in to the dealer for the first time last friday and was told they reflashed the motor or something to that effect and cycled the top at least 5 times with no problem and I happily paid the $96 diagnostic fee and went home which is 80 miles away. s soon as I got home I tried to lower the top to see if it still works and darn if tt hung up again once the top was in the trunk.The followning Monday I took the car back to the dealer and then they said its the roof motor is defective. So i declined the repair and am going to another dealer hoping for some better news asecond opinion could not hurt.. I stil wonder how did it cycle times 5 times if the motor is in fact defective.

Don
Old 06-20-12, 07:36 AM
VVTiBob

Sounding more and more like, or similar to, Johnny's roof problem, an intermittent bad, or worn out out switch. The trick will be to isolate it.
Old 06-21-12, 06:30 AM
dbcolli
Rookie

I am going to another dealer this afternoon as a friend had her roof fixed by this dealer a few days ago and it was the package tray motor was found at fault and was fixed for $1700. Hope I csn get the same results or better. In fact anything under 5 to 8 grand would be better.
Old 06-21-12, 01:44 PM
dbcolli
Rookie

I was just called by the second dealer and they came up with the same diagnosis, its the LH drive motor. I told him I was sitting down and to give me the repair cost. Would you believe its $1695 as compared to the 5 to 8 grand dealer #1 wanted. They gave us a IS 250 as a loaner to boot and said it will done maybe by tomorrow but no later than Tuesday. It paid well to get a second opinion..
Old 06-21-12, 02:52 PM
VVTiBob

Sounds like that's a dealer to appreciate...but let's wait till everything is back to good working order before sending off a letter of appreciation to Lexus Corporate.
Old 06-21-12, 02:53 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by dbcolli
I was just called by the second dealer and they came up with the same diagnosis, its the LH drive motor. I told him I was sitting down and to give me the repair cost. Would you believe its $1695 as compared to the 5 to 8 grand dealer #1 wanted. They gave us a IS 250 as a loaner to boot and said it will done maybe by tomorrow but no later than Tuesday. It paid well to get a second opinion..
That's great news! Definitely ask for the old part back. If might be useful to someone else in the forum. I guess I don't trust dealers. If your problem was the switch, they are still gonna replace the motor since they ordered it.
Old 06-28-12, 03:28 PM
dbcolli
Rookie

Update ...Picking the car up tomorrow.$1624 sure beats 5 to 8 grand .. This will be my delear from now on !!
Item Pay Type Item Status Concern Correction
01 Customer Pay Done CODE B2504 - LEFT SIDE ROOF DRIVE MOTOR - OPEN CIRCUIT. - INTERMMITENT STOP ON MIDDLE WHILE OPEN OR CLOSE. NOTE:RECOMMEND TO REPLACE DEFECTIVE MOTOR FIRST AND CHECK FOR ANY OTHER PROBLEM. REPLACED DRIVERS SIDE ROOF DRIVE MOTOR, VERIFIED PROPER OPERATION OF CONVERTABLE TOP AFTER REPAIR
24 Customer Pay Done PROVIDE RED CARPET TREATMENT - NEW OR INACTIVE CUSTOMER - HERE FOR SSC PROVIDE RED CARPET TREATMENT
25 Customer Pay Done TECHNICIAN MUST DOCUMENT MILES OUT WHEN SERVICE IS COMPLETED MILES OUT:105753
26 Customer Pay Done "L"PASS - AUTOMATED VEHICLE RECOGNITION SYSTEM IDENTIFICATION LABEL HAS BEEN APPLIED TO VEHICLE. "L"PASS - AUTOMATED VEHICLE RECOGNITION SYSTEM IDENTIFICATION LABEL HAS BEEN APPLIED TO VEHICLE.
50 Complimentary Car Wash Done PERFORM WASH & VACUUM AFTER SERVICE PERFORMED COMPLIMENTARY WASH AND VACUUM
51 Customer Pay Done CUSTOMER STATES THE COVERTIBLE HARD TOP NOT WORKING CORRECTLY AT TIMES. INSPECT/ADVISE..GETS STUCK..CUSTOMER GETS OUT AND PUSHES ON TOP THEN IT WORKS.. SEE OTHER LINE FOR REPAIR

Amounts Due
Customer Pay: $ 1,624.32

Quick Reply: roof drive motor failed