SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430, 2006, LCA #2 question , inner tire wear....

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-11, 09:50 AM
scdroptop

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

IMO I would for sure. I only dropped mine 1.5 in the front and 1.25 in the rear and my numbers were WAY off after having the car perfectly aligned at one time after I installed my 20's.

In just a short time of being mis-aligned, I had cupping on my rear tires!
Old 12-06-11, 12:19 PM
bacardi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

scdroptop
Check out K-MAC their kits will make any car on the money. The front Stage 1 strut adjuster kit and the rear bushing kit
Old 12-06-11, 12:31 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Camber kits aren't always an option once you're lowered. I went with more aggressive offsets on my new wheels. Now they barely fit without rubbing. If I were to correct the camber, they would rub. As it is, I still get about 25,000 miles. Which is good enough.
Old 12-06-11, 12:41 PM
bacardi
Lead Lap

liquid
check out k-mac strut adjuster front camber kit. that will do it. check it out.
Old 12-06-11, 07:15 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts
Default What are the "correct" specs for a stock alignment...?

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Yeah us guys with a drop and aftermarket wheels/tires (especially larger with staggered) have no chance.

I pushed mine to the max at the alignment shop and they weren't even close. I do subscribe to Liquid's summary analysis of the nature of our cars. If you want to go to great lengths to try to correct, then buying an unlimited alignment at shops like NTB for you might be worth chasing. At a certain point in your hunt for excellence sometimes you have to learn just to pick and choose your battle. I have owned over 30 sports cars in my lifetime and I've just realized recently that you can't change (or at least too much) the basic DNA of cars. You can try...but the more you try, the more frustrated you get. Kinda like trying to change your wife...LOL

Back to the OP observation/question: I'd venture to say you have nothing wrong with your control arms or bushings and get your new tires with confidence and get a good alignment (or alignment package as aforementioned) and enjoy that new ride! Post some pics too please!
Great advice regarding trying to modify stock cars...... since there are multiple guidelines on what optimum alignment specs should be, is there a common suggestion that I should give my alignment tech ? I will leave the SC stock. Thanks

Last edited by Lexicon1; 12-06-11 at 10:22 PM. Reason: addendum
Old 12-07-11, 09:04 AM
robsvdp
Pole Position

Lexicon1, where in CA are you? I had the same problem with my stock '06 with runflats, went to Western Tire in Burbank and they set the alignment as close to neutral as they were comfortable and put non-RF tires on -- 12k miles later, my tire wear is perfectly normal
Old 12-07-11, 11:52 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

I have owned over 30 sports cars in my lifetime and I've just realized recently that you can't change (or at least too much) the basic DNA of cars. You can try...but the more you try, the more frustrated you get.
Kind of like trying to teach a pig to sing. The process will only frustrate you and hack off the pig.
Old 12-07-11, 05:21 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Default What are the target parameters for a wheel alignment ?

Originally Posted by robsvdp
Lexicon1, where in CA are you? I had the same problem with my stock '06 with runflats, went to Western Tire in Burbank and they set the alignment as close to neutral as they were comfortable and put non-RF tires on -- 12k miles later, my tire wear is perfectly normal
Hi Rbsvdp,
I live in southern Orange county Calif.
I am going to get a lifetime alignment somewhere after I get the new Continental DWS tires installed.
1)Would someone give me specific instructions on target alignment for the SC430?
2) What is the reason that some folks can get very close to optimum, and some cant ? I assume its due to worn parts.

Thanks guys
Old 12-07-11, 05:41 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Default A Great subject for another thread......wise words

Yeah us guys with a drop and aftermarket wheels/tires (especially larger with staggered) have no chance.

I pushed mine to the max at the alignment shop and they weren't even close. I do subscribe to Liquid's summary analysis of the nature of our cars. If you want to go to great lengths to try to correct, then buying an unlimited alignment at shops like NTB for you might be worth chasing. At a certain point in your hunt for excellence sometimes you have to learn just to pick and choose your battle. I have owned over 30 sports cars in my lifetime and I've just realized recently that you can't change (or at least too much) the basic DNA of cars. You can try...but the more you try, the more frustrated you get. Kinda like trying to change your wife...LOL

Back to the OP observation/question: I'd venture to say you have nothing wrong with your control arms or bushings and get your new tires with confidence and get a good alignment (or alignment package as aforementioned) and enjoy that new ride! Post some pics too please!
Hi SCdroptop,
I was thinking about your comment "At a certain point in your hunt for excellence sometimes you have to learn just to pick and choose your battle. I have owned over 30 sports cars in my lifetime and I've just realized recently that you can't change (or at least too much) the basic DNA of cars. You can try...but the more you try, the more frustrated you get." There are so many folks that purchase cars and need to modify them to make them different than they were designed for...however, as you say , you cant change the basic DNA, all cars have limitations , you cant make the SC430 handle like a Porsche, however, we try.
The topic would be a great one so as to understand that there are limitations for what we want our cars to be. I was looking at a Porsche Cayman as a second car , and, as far as I am concerned, for me, this would be optimum for handling and speed capabilities. Yet, I see so many on the Porsche forums needing to extract performance above and beyond what the stock Cayman offers. Any comments welcome, or , this may be a good alternate thread.