SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Trouble With Tinting Front 2 Windows

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-02, 10:29 PM
E-Universe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble With Tinting Front 2 Windows

I'm having trouble with tinting the front 2 windows in my car. The back 3 (the rear window and 2 rear side) tinted fine. But I'm having big problems with the front 2. For some reason, water bubbles always form. I realize that it takes time for the moisture to dry. But after a week or so of not opening the windows to let the tint stuff dry, water bubbles form.

I did my windows at a really reliable place. My last car was tinted there too and everything turned out great. It's just that with the SC front windows I'm having trouble with.

The guy at the garage who did the tint for me is confused as well. He said this had never happened before. He re-did the front 2 windows again last week, but it's still the same. Almost everything dries up, but leaves a whole bunch of little water bubbles on the windows. It's really annyoing.

The guy is telling me to give it another week to see if it takes longer for my car to dry. If it doesn't he'll have to take off the tint for me.

Anyone having problems? Or is it just me? The garage guy says it might be the front windows having some UV coating or something that causes the front windows to not dry correctly. But he says he done tons of cars with UV protection and it's all fine.
Old 10-10-02, 01:49 PM
RodF
Pole Position

I had mine tinted right after I bought it. 1 1/2 years and no problems or bubbling.
Old 10-10-02, 04:02 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The front windows are supposed to be "water repellant". I assume that's on the outside...is it possible there's a coating on the inside as well ????
Old 10-10-02, 07:28 PM
E-Universe
Driver School Candidate

what % is your tint? My back ones are 25% I think, and the front ones are 60%. Could it be the percentage that is causing the problem? Cuz the 25% ones tinted fine, just the front 2 25% tints are having problem
Old 10-10-02, 08:02 PM
RodF
Pole Position

I'm not absolutely sure but I think it is 30% reflective titanium tint.
Old 10-10-02, 10:13 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only two things I can think of is that maybe they dip the windows, they are water repellant and they are factory tinted (greenish haze) Also try another tint, maybe its as simple as that, I doubt the percentage would affect it (for those who dont know 30% allows thirty-percent of the light to shine through. Another thing may be to clean the inside windows with rain-x pre-cleaner.....its sort of like bug and tar remover for windows. Lastly, have him remove the door panels to properly do it. Places should do it this way, but they never do because it takes time. It allows you to get lower on the tint and into the door area. Also allows for the sguigy to reach further down. Hope this helps.

Try using lumar tint. One last thing, I used to work at a place that did tinting. I hope you are not be over critical of the tint...some tiny bubbles will appear regardless of what you do. I had 15% on my Supra and 5% in the rear it was dark to say the least, but their were tiny bubbles spread about with lots of light and close inspection. Obviously if the bubbles are large though its a different story
Old 10-10-02, 10:48 PM
JerseySC
Rookie

I tinted my SC right after I leased it. To this date (knock on light birdseye maple) I have not had any problems with any of the windows. It could be the tint you are using. My local tint shop www.tropictint.com used Llumar window film and charged me $180. The % of tint means nothing with regards to the bubbling.
Old 10-11-02, 03:12 AM
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

E,

Where are the bubbles forming? Are they forming close to the bottom near the rubber weather stripping? If so, the pressure from the weather stripping might be causing this to happen. If it is all over, then you got me stumped as well.

MAC
Old 10-11-02, 03:56 AM
E-Universe
Driver School Candidate

nope, it's overall. The first couple days, the moisture evaporated really fast. But after about 4-5 days, things begin to slow down. The unevaporated moisture leaves moisture bubbles. Kind of looks like waterspots.

This problem stumped the guy who tinted my windows too. He never seen this happen before. The rear windows are pefectly fine. The rear ones all dried out within 3 days, but the front 2 are really screwed up.