SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Thinking of selling my '02 - Tips needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-11, 05:16 AM
Scott R
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking of selling my '02 - Tips needed

So I'm thinking (again) about selling my '02 Black/Saddle with chrome wheels and 89k miles. Everything's in great shape except for some paint chips/minor scratches, and one scuff on the underside of the front spoiler (passenger-side) (didn't quite clear a curb when parking - ugh - but it's not very noticeable unless you look for it). I haven't done the timing belt service yet, but just got an estimate from a local shop (non-Lexus) who quoted me $700-800 (including water pump and various other things), so I'm also debating whether I should do that service prior to trying to sell it.

I'm not excited about dealing with the hassle/stress of selling on my own, and not sure what sort of things I should look out for, but I'm also not happy with a couple of estimates that some local dealers gave me for buying the car outright (e.g., $12,000 range). Based on what I'm seeing on cars.com, there are only seven SC430's out there under $22k within 100 miles of me (Hartford area in CT). All but one has lower mileage than mine, but aren't super low (67k miles is the lowest), and prices range from $16,000-22,000. So, I'm not sure what's realistic, but it seems like I could certainly do a whole lot better than $12,000 by selling it on my own.

I believe a cars.com ad with the maximum number of photos is $55. There are also added cost options for print ads in the Hartford Courant, and I'm not sure what the opinion is on print ads. I don't read the paper, but I know that older people probably read the paper and don't check cars.com. I suspect, though, that the average person considering an older, higher mileage SC430 is going to be a younger person.

As I mentioned, I was already disappointed in what two local dealers had to tell me, but I guess I'm a glutton for punishment, because I'm considering taking it to carmax to see what they say. I recently saw an '02 with high miles on carmax.com (which is gone now) which they were selling for over $20,000, so if they're planning on marking it up that much (and they don't come down on their asking prices), maybe their offer won't be too awful.

I should add that I'm in no particular rush to sell. I don't need the money desperately. I think I just want something different, but I haven't decided yet what that is. So I'm willing to "lose out" on $2,000 (i.e., sell it for $2,000 less than I could potentially get if I was super-patient and dealt with a ton of prospective buyers) if I can minimize the hassle/stress, but I don't want to take too bad of a beating on it (i.e., the $12,000 that those dealers were offering is so low that I'd prefer to just keep it).

Sorry for the long-winded rambling. So any suggestions/tips?

Last edited by Scott R; 05-23-11 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-23-11, 06:40 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott R
So I'm thinking (again) about selling my '02 Black/Saddle with chrome wheels and 89k miles. Everything's in great shape except for some paint chips/minor scratches, and one scuff on the underside of the front spoiler (passenger-side) (didn't quite clear a curb when parking - ugh - but it's not very noticeable unless you look for it). I haven't done the timing belt service yet, but just got an estimate from a local shop (non-Lexus) who quoted me $700-800 (including water pump and various other things), so I'm also debating whether I should do that service prior to trying to sell it.

I'm not excited about dealing with the hassle/stress of selling on my own, and not sure what sort of things I should look out for, but I'm also not happy with a couple of estimates that some local dealers gave me for buying the car outright (e.g., $12,000 range). Based on what I'm seeing on cars.com, there are only seven SC430's out there under $22k within 100 miles of me (Hartford area in CT). All but one has lower mileage than mine, but aren't super low (67k miles is the lowest), and prices range from $16,000-22,000. So, I'm not sure what's realistic, but it seems like I could certainly do a whole lot better than $12,000 by selling it on my own.

I believe a cars.com ad with the maximum number of photos is $55. There are also added cost options for print ads in the Hartford Courant, and I'm not sure what the opinion is on print ads. I don't read the paper, but I know that older people probably read the paper and don't check cars.com. I suspect, though, that the average person considering an older, higher mileage SC430 is going to be a younger person.

As I mentioned, I was already disappointed in what two local dealers had to tell me, but I guess I'm a glutton for punishment, because I'm considering taking it to carmax to see what they say. I recently saw an '02 with high miles on carmax.com (which is gone now) which they were selling for over $20,000, so if they're planning on marking it up that much (and they don't come down on their asking prices), maybe their offer won't be too awful.

I should add that I'm in no particular rush to sell. I don't need the money desperately. I think I just want something different, but I haven't decided yet what that is. So I'm willing to "lose out" on $2,000 (i.e., sell it for $2,000 less than I could potentially get if I was super-patient and dealt with a ton of prospective buyers) if I can minimize the hassle/stress, but I don't want to take too bad of a beating on it (i.e., the $12,000 that those dealers were offering is so low that I'd prefer to just keep it).

Sorry for the long-winded rambling. So any suggestions/tips?
I'd ask for $17,000 and probably be happy with $15,000. Also, I'd have it detailed first to get the minor scratches out. It'll be well worth the $200 or so. I wouldn't bother with the timing belt. Most people won't know to ask. If they do, tell them you'll make them a deal and knock $600 off your asking price. Now is probably a good time to sell. The weather is nice and people are looking for convertibles.
Old 05-23-11, 07:00 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Having sold a couple of vehicles to Carmax their business model restricts what they will do. If you choose to go with them it will be very important to point out everything you think should be considered in their appraisal. Their model is take it or leave it, there is NO negotiating on either side of the deal (buying or selling). What nice is their offer is valid for seven days so it gives you a chance to ponder and get better offers.

In addition, if a car "disappears" off their website you may need to increase the radius of your search, (cars move from site to site freely) or realize if little or no interest is/has been shown in a vehicle, it's off to the wholesaler's auction (especially true on "older" limited market cars). Keep the inventory fresh and cash flow moving.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 05-23-11 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-23-11, 08:29 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Yes, list it at $16,800 (lucky#) and go from there. If the person is too picky & low baller, just tell them to move on. If not, work with them ont he price. The price should really depend on the condition of the car. (interior & exterior) Post few pics & I'm pretty other member can give you a better estimate

Last edited by grabber2; 05-23-11 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-23-11, 05:03 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do autotrader and post it up here, have the car detailed let that be it. As said before if your getting beat up about the timing belt then knock the cost of getting it done off the price. Do you have your quote in writing? That helps- when I sold my Mistubishi Eclipse a few years ago a potential buyer asked me to take the car to his mechanic so I did- he gave it a clean bill of health but mentioned that the tranny would have to be rebuilt or replaced in the next year or so due to leaking I believe.

He gave us a price on that and I told the guy I would take half of that off the car or just have the guy do the tranny work for me and then I would sell the car for more money then I had originally listed it for since I knew that those cars were prone to transmission issues. He guy agreed so it worked out. Now this being said this negotiation stuff works if you list your car around 16000-17000. If you want to sell your car fast list for 14000-15000 and just do not drop the price and it will sell on the fact that the price is low.