SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

oil?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-11, 05:12 PM
charlievet
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just changed my engine oil to Mobil 1, 5W-30 (6 qts due to oversized filter) and oil filter to Canton Racing # 25-462 (3-1/4" dia x 6-1/4" L x 3/4-16 threads) with a replaceable synthetic filter element that filters down to eight (8) microns up to 20,000 miles of street use. I would not go 20K miles, but at 10K, filter elements I've changed on my Corvette were still clean! As this is the first time synthetic oil is being used in this SC430, I chose Mobil 1 (API Group III) based upon price (about $40.00 @ AutoZone or Advance Auto during their monthly oil sales). After a few thousand miles, I'll drain the Mobil 1 and add Red Line (API Group V oil). Thanks!

PS: deathstar: Red Line and Amsoil DO NOT recommend any 5W-20 oils for any year SC430 and they (arguably) produce some of the "best" US oils available (API Group V and IV, respectively).
Old 07-24-11, 06:20 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

[QUOTE=deathstar;6556951]I am not sure about the SC since I just bought it, but My 2010 TL got 3 MORE MPG highway with penzoil platinum and 5 MORE MPG highway with Castrol EDGE over dino oil.

You are kidding right? If that were true nobody would use regular oil anymore.
Old 07-24-11, 07:54 PM
deathstar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=iolmaster;6557068]
Originally Posted by deathstar
I am not sure about the SC since I just bought it, but My 2010 TL got 3 MORE MPG highway with penzoil platinum and 5 MORE MPG highway with Castrol EDGE over dino oil.

You are kidding right? If that were true nobody would use regular oil anymore.
not kidding, dino oil 24 mpg hwy, pennzoil platinum 27 mpg, Castrol EDGE 29 mpg hwy. same driving conditions back and forth to dealer on interstate 64 for oil changes. Additionally other Acura forum members report that Castrol EDGE gives better mileage than pennzoil platinum. Also, I have always used BP ultimate exclusively. I am a Kurt Busch fan so you can believe I am not a BP fanboy, I would love to say Pennzoil gives better mileage at least in my Acura TL it did not. However, I have never tried Pennzoil Ultra.
Old 07-25-11, 09:11 AM
iolmaster
Racer

[QUOTE=deathstar;6557237]
Originally Posted by iolmaster

not kidding, dino oil 24 mpg hwy, pennzoil platinum 27 mpg, Castrol EDGE 29 mpg hwy. same driving conditions back and forth to dealer on interstate 64 for oil changes. Additionally other Acura forum members report that Castrol EDGE gives better mileage than pennzoil platinum. Also, I have always used BP ultimate exclusively. I am a Kurt Busch fan so you can believe I am not a BP fanboy, I would love to say Pennzoil gives better mileage at least in my Acura TL it did not. However, I have never tried Pennzoil Ultra.
Very interesting. Why is that we never hear any independent and I stress independent, studies to back up claims like that. The reason we don't hear about it because there aren't any.
Old 07-25-11, 12:24 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With same weight oil, dino or synthetic don't make a difference on mpg at operating temp.

Only during cold startup, synthetic has a clear advantage.
Old 07-25-11, 01:39 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Cold weather and extremely hot weather. Degradation on hot temps and lubricity on cold weather.

Ok now: LUBRICITY as in oil in our cars not anything lewd.
Old 07-25-11, 03:28 PM
deathstar
Driver

it is possible that break in period had something to add, that said, it does state in my 2010 prius handbook that if 0W20 synthetic is not used gas mileage will suffer. another benefit to synthetic is that it never has breakdown or even has a chance to sludge.
Old 07-25-11, 05:40 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

However, contamination and acidity change to the oil still happens to synthetic and that's why synthetic oil needs to be changed regularly, though at a longer interval.
Old 07-26-11, 12:40 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

I personally haven't heard/seen any independent study showing synthetic oil increases mpg.

But with some claims on this forum, I decide to use synthetic for my next oil change to see if there is any difference in mpg. My current cumulative mpg is ~23 mpg in my daily 100 miles commute to and from work. That's about all I do with my 2002 SC430 currently at 53.6k miles, so this should be a very good consistent test. Last oil change was done at Lexus dealer with dino oil about 5k miles ago.

Now I am looking at either Mobil 1 5W30 or Royal Purple 5W30 (both available from Amazon). Which one should I use for this test? Or, which one most likely will increase mpg?
Old 07-26-11, 01:04 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Can not go wrong with either one.
Old 07-26-11, 01:51 PM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

it is possible that break in period had something to add, that said, it does state in my 2010 prius handbook that if 0W20 synthetic is not used gas mileage will suffer. another benefit to synthetic is that it never has breakdown or even has a chance to sludge.
Don't like to disagree but that is incorrect. Any oil can sludge as a lot of it is to do with engine design. DI engines regardless of make tend to suffer with sludge.

Additionally, all oils breakdown.

If you really want to learn about oils, join BITOG
Old 07-27-11, 05:59 PM
deathstar
Driver

Originally Posted by harleydjce
Don't like to disagree but that is incorrect. Any oil can sludge as a lot of it is to do with engine design. DI engines regardless of make tend to suffer with sludge.

Additionally, all oils breakdown.

If you really want to learn about oils, join BITOG
dude, I am former USAF AVIONICS MASTER LEVEL 7 TECHNICIAN/JET ENGINE TECHNICIAN for KC-135-R TANKERS. I hate to pull rank on you but I know a thing or two about synthetic oil. That's all the Air Force uses, period. For a reason, IT DOES NOT SLUDGE AND WE NEVER HAD TO REPLACE IT, EXCEPT FOR PM'S, WE JUST ADDED IT. DINO OIL IS GARBAGE. PERIOD. KEEP USING IT, I DON'T GIVE A RATS A$$.

okay, off my soap box now.
Old 07-27-11, 07:52 PM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

dude, I am former USAF AVIONICS MASTER LEVEL 7 TECHNICIAN/JET ENGINE TECHNICIAN for KC-135-R TANKERS. I hate to pull rank on you but I know a thing or two about synthetic oil. That's all the Air Force uses, period. For a reason, IT DOES NOT SLUDGE AND WE NEVER HAD TO REPLACE IT, EXCEPT FOR PM'S, WE JUST ADDED IT. DINO OIL IS GARBAGE. PERIOD. KEEP USING IT, I DON'T GIVE A RATS A$$.

okay, off my soap box now.
Chill.

Your qualifications are not germane to the discussion. When you become a Tribologist, let me know. ALL oils breakdown.

Suggest that you try BITOG and learn a thing or two.

BTW. Actually you can't pull rank on me. In the Military I was an Officer!

Last edited by harleydjce; 07-28-11 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-28-11, 06:26 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Guys, I think we had this discussion before with the same individual. He doesn't seem to get the fact that the demands of a jet engine are not the same as an SC430. There is no question that applications like that are more demanding than ours. That does not translate into, it is better, for our application. Just because a jet engine or race car needs a certain level of technology does not mean it will do anything other than drain your wallet for us. I am certainly not questioning his qualifications as an engine mechanic. Until I see independent documentation of synthetic being better for our engines in normal operation or the price comes down to the point to make it cost effective, I'm sticking with regular oil.
Old 07-28-11, 07:31 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by iolmaster
Guys, I think we had this discussion before with the same individual. He doesn't seem to get the fact that the demands of a jet engine are not the same as an SC430. There is no question that applications like that are more demanding than ours. That does not translate into, it is better, for our application. Just because a jet engine or race car needs a certain level of technology does not mean it will do anything other than drain your wallet for us. I am certainly not questioning his qualifications as an engine mechanic. Until I see independent documentation of synthetic being better for our engines in normal operation or the price comes down to the point to make it cost effective, I'm sticking with regular oil.
Yeah. I agree. He just doesn't get it. Synthetics are more resistant to temperature extremes and can last longer than regular oil (you guys in the US have some strange definitions of what constitutes Synthetic oil as there are multiple Groups of oil) and are specified increasingly by manufacturers in their desire to extend service intervals but even then they are not "permanent" oils. Oils do wear out. Once an oil gets to a TBN of about 2 it is done and needs to be replaced.

LOL at the "outranked" comments in his last post!

Quick Reply: oil?