SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Navtool Installed with Back Up Camera. DIY Inside with Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-11, 06:20 PM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SteadyEddy
Thank you! Thank you! I don't think I had one wire right. I guess that's why it didn't work. Now I'll get it right and it still won't work cause I blew it up. I knew something wasn't right cause I never could get the red light on the navtool to light. I did have power at the gray wire. I didn't check for power on the yellow-red wire to see if there was power when I put it in reverse. Tomorrow I'll try again, when my legs and my back have recovered.
Again thank you much, for the info and the quick response. This forum has the greatest members. IMHO
no worries.. I know exactly how you feel because I went thru the same crap.. My issue was that I didnt get the camera when I put it in reverse. Turned out that I didnt have a solid connection between my blue wire and the yellow wire with red stripe.. It took me 2 days to get it right
Old 05-19-11, 02:38 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

VIPNISS,It works it works. Again thank you. I'm sure glad you answered. It's amazing, when the right wires are connected to the right wires. Everything just falls into place. Nothing to these installs. lol Hope the instructions for the luxlink are clearer than the ones for the navtool and camera. My camera had nothing, or if it did I didn't understand it.
Thanks again

Originally Posted by VIPNiSS
no worries.. I know exactly how you feel because I went thru the same crap.. My issue was that I didnt get the camera when I put it in reverse. Turned out that I didnt have a solid connection between my blue wire and the yellow wire with red stripe.. It took me 2 days to get it right
Old 05-19-11, 05:57 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

ahh i wanna do this one of these days... hey VIP what kind of camera did you buy?? it looks very stealth i like it
Old 05-19-11, 08:39 PM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SteadyEddy
VIPNISS,It works it works. Again thank you. I'm sure glad you answered. It's amazing, when the right wires are connected to the right wires. Everything just falls into place. Nothing to these installs. lol Hope the instructions for the luxlink are clearer than the ones for the navtool and camera. My camera had nothing, or if it did I didn't understand it.
Thanks again
no problem! I am glad you got it working! feel super accomplished huh?
Old 05-19-11, 08:40 PM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mIStaSC
ahh i wanna do this one of these days... hey VIP what kind of camera did you buy?? it looks very stealth i like it
I forget the exact model number but it is made by Boyo.. Boyo Slim Mount camera
Old 05-20-11, 03:46 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPNiSS
no problem! I am glad you got it working! feel super accomplished huh?
I'm ready to put a big S on my chest and start wearing a blue cape. lol Wait!!I can feel my head still swelling. None of my hats fit anymore!! lol
Good thing the top goes down!
Old 05-20-11, 09:20 AM
Sapherynth
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VIPNISS and Mistasc the model number is VTL375 (black) or VTL275(chrome). I have the black one.
Old 08-11-11, 02:14 PM
djmichel
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VIPNESS, many thanks for all the photos and help...just ordered my Navtool today, $175. What path forward did you run the video line, down the side of the car or under the front seat thru the center console. Which way is easier? Thanks again for all the photos. I take it you had a wiring diagram for the 12 volt and ground out of the Nav plug that you tapped.
Old 01-27-12, 03:55 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Tip of the hat to VIPNiSS...excellent DIY instructions.
Old 05-29-13, 10:24 AM
chrisv78
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks to VIP. Just the instructions I have been looking for, and a great camera recommendation. Great looking job -- too bad you're not still in TX!
Old 06-24-13, 12:51 PM
chrisv78
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the way you set this up. I do have a question - were you able to pull the grommet that you cut up into the trunk or did you disconnect the license plate lights and feed it out the license plate access? Also, how big of a hole did you drill for access by the bolt hole? Thanks.
Old 05-16-14, 10:57 AM
watson4664
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Backup camera install

I have attached a file showing the installation procedure for the newer Navtool unit. I just installed a camera on my 2008 SC430 a couple of weeks ago and thought I would document it for other forum members.

Love the camera and it gives me much more confidence when in tight situations.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Installation Procedure.pdf (3.12 MB, 1068 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by watson4664:
leexed (01-26-19), txs (10-26-19)
Old 05-16-14, 12:03 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by watson4664
I have attached a file showing the installation procedure for the newer Navtool unit. I just installed a camera on my 2008 SC430 a couple of weeks ago and thought I would document it for other forum members.

Love the camera and it gives me much more confidence when in tight situations.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.
That is some write up. You could write this up for the camera co that sell the cameras
Old 05-16-14, 12:11 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Watson, great write up on the trunk tear down and the NavTool install. Just wondering why you chose to use the terminal strip? That really looks complicated. Also since it's exposed could it cause some future problems? I just used T-taps from Home Depot to tie in to power, ground, and reverse, and felt that it used less wires and connections. If you had to put ring terminal on each wire, I felt like there's more room for error or lose connections. Also, it is quite strange that you don't get any power when in reverse from that wire in the harness. That strikes me as so odd. I didn't check for voltage on my install from this Yellwo/Red wire but just went with the directions and it worked luckily. Anyway, I just wanted to get your insight. Thanks.
Old 05-16-14, 02:08 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ShawnOk, i would have to agree with your concern on the terminal strip. I have installed hundreds of these devices (terminal strips) in electrical panels and where there is a lot of vibration you need to take the necessary precaution that connections could work their way loose if not properly tightened. If you just look at how Lexus engineers cars, most if not all electrical terminations are insulated and/or isolated to prevent shorts. It's good practice to cover/tape contact points that are energized to prevent potential shorts. Just my two cents worth!

Quick Reply: Navtool Installed with Back Up Camera. DIY Inside with Pictures