SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Oxygen Sensor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-09, 04:00 PM
baboya96
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Oxygen Sensor Replacement

Has anyone replaced one of these in their SC? Check engine light came on which evidentally set off VSC/VSC Off switches as well. Took it to a local lexus dealer and I was told my rear oxygen sensor needs to be replaced. I'm told this is located behind passenger seats which would of course require them to be removed. Hence, longer labor. I was also told there are (2) sensors all together. Car is out of warranty so I paid approx $400 for this repair. $250 on parts and $150 on 1 1/2 worth of labor.

First time ever finding something like this. I'm sure I can't be the first one.
Anyone had same type of repair and if so, at what year and mileage? (not sure whether these relate but I figure the older the car, more parts needing to be replaced.)

Thanks
Old 09-27-09, 05:14 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

I have an '02 and mine was replaced about 1 1/2 years ago. I don't know whether it was the front or back or both as it was done under warranty.
Old 09-27-09, 08:41 PM
baboya96
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Harold57
I have an '02 and mine was replaced about 1 1/2 years ago. I don't know whether it was the front or back or both as it was done under warranty.
You must have an extended warranty if it was covered 1 1/2 years ago when your car is 2002 model. Lucky.
Old 09-28-09, 01:47 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

O2 sensors go bad.... every car experiences it. as for our SC's the rears are pretty easy to get to, you can probably get it done in 20-30 min if you know that you're doing.
Old 09-28-09, 05:57 AM
scorpio74
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

First, try to locate where the O2 sensors are. That'll give you the difficulty level of how long it would take.
Don't make the same mistake I did two days ago. I paid 45 bucks to replace the fusible link in the engine bay. I wish I did my search first.
Good luck.
Old 09-28-09, 08:27 AM
baboya96
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lexiss_sc430
O2 sensors go bad.... every car experiences it. as for our SC's the rears are pretty easy to get to, you can probably get it done in 20-30 min if you know that you're doing.
If that's true, I sure 'overpaid' at the dealer... charging me for 1 1/2 worth of labor. I'm told it's located behind the rear passenger seats and if it truly takes someone 20-30 mins to remove those... he must move real fast.
Old 09-28-09, 09:33 AM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Back Seats are about 10 minutes, 10MM,13MM and 14MM wrenches if I remember.
8 bolts and then just two more if you want to remove the side panels.

The image is thanks to Habious, he taught me and it was very easy.

Last edited by norman52; 09-28-09 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-28-09, 11:37 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That’s laughable that they said its behind the back seats, the only thing being the back seats is the gas tank, rear axles, and mufflers.

We have 2 sets of O2 sensors, one set upstream (before the catalytic converters) and one set down stream (right after the cats). Now the 1st set of sensors is located right on the headers, and the second ones are about a foot behind those. If you kneel and look about a foot behind the front wheel you will see the rear O2 sensors.

Long story short whenever you go to the dealer you are going to over pay, its just how dealers work, if they were in the business of cutting you a deal then they wouldn't be quite profitable.
Old 09-30-09, 11:21 AM
JohnMD
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Oxygen Sensor and Malfunction Indicator Light

My MIL just went off and I have read it is probably the oxygen sensor. And might as well replace both whlie you are at it. How do you turn off the MIL? And can any competant mechanic replace the oxygen sensors? Hate to get ripped off my lexus again. Mine is an '02 with 75k.
Old 11-14-09, 06:13 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So are the O2 sensors a part of the drive train. I would have thought these would be apart of the 7 year 70k warranty.
Old 11-14-09, 06:36 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmalik00
So are the O2 sensors a part of the drive train. I would have thought these would be apart of the 7 year 70k warranty.
The CPO warranty is for internal engine components. These O2 sensors are part of the emissions system which is not covered past the original factory warranty. The exhaust system is also not covered.
Old 11-14-09, 06:43 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Bon
The CPO warranty is for internal engine components. These O2 sensors are part of the emissions system which is not covered past the original factory warranty. The exhaust system is also not covered.
Can I change my answer? After carefully examining the Lexus CPS warranty it is an exclusionary bumper-to-bumper warranty. The exhaust and emissions systems are not specifically excluded so they are covered.
Old 11-15-09, 04:20 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bon
Can I change my answer? After carefully examining the Lexus CPS warranty it is an exclusionary bumper-to-bumper warranty. The exhaust and emissions systems are not specifically excluded so they are covered.
Thanks Bon, can anyone cosign this? I love my mechanic but if Lexus can pay for this, they need to pay for it.
Old 11-15-09, 06:29 AM
scdroptop
Forum Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

bigmalik-

I have the CPO Warranty. The way I have always understood both the CPO and the ESP's (Platinum Warranty is the one I owned my my 02 SC, 3/75k no deductible) is that this WOULD be covered.

I am not an expert by any means, but if I were in Vegas I would bet that you are covered. Don't take my word on it though, or Bon's...go to the dealer or call them yourself. It couldn't hurt. Based on the exclusionary coverage it appears that it is covered. It's not a wear and tear item and it's part of the electrical or engine (not sure how they would classify).

If you have more than one dealer and you don't like what one dealer says, take it to the other. You always have the Lexus Customer Service Dept that you can write after the work is done to try to recoup the money if you have a case.

They SHOULD cover it...make an appt Monday and see.

Here is what it spells out on the CPO site found at http://www.lexus.com/cpo/overview/wa...#underWarranty

Warranty Coverage
The Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty is actually better than some new-vehicle warranties. It's an extensive limited warranty, technically known as an "exclusionary warranty." Starting on your date of purchase, it offers the same coverage and privileges new-car buyers receive. To see what is and isn't covered, view the list below or visit your Lexus dealer for complete details.

This warranty also provides a complimentary loaner car, Roadside Assistance[1] and Trip Interruption Service coverage as described in the Stellar Coverage.

It is valid for three years or 100,000 total vehicle miles from your date of purchase, whichever comes first.

No deductible. Repairs made under this warranty will be at no cost to you.

This warranty covers any repair or replacement of components that fail under normal use due to a defect in materials or workmanship except as set forth under "Exclusions."
•Engine
•Transmission
•Final Drives and Axles
(Front-Wheel Drive)
•Rear-Wheel Drive
•Steering
•Brakes
(Excluding Rotors and Pads)
•Fuel System
•Cooling
•AC and Heating Systems
•Electrical
•Computer
•Restraint Systems
•Accessories and Controls
•Wheels
The following components are specifically excluded from coverage under the Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty:

Standard Upkeep Items:
accessory drive belts, batteries, filters, fluids, heating and vacuum hoses, lines and tubes, tires, spark plugs, windshield wiper blades (rubber component).

Wear and Tear:
Examples include brake pads, rotors, shoes and drums and manual clutches.

Body and Interior:
bumpers, carpet, chrome, dash cover and pad, door trim, handles, fabric, glass (including windshield), headliner, hinges, interior and exterior trim and moldings, cupholders, ashtrays, covers and vents, lightbulbs, nuts, bolts, clips, retainers and fasteners, paint, rust and corrosion damage, seat covers, shiny metals, weather stripping.

Accessories:
any non-Lexus accessories or modified components, including but not limited to wheels, radar detectors and cellular phones.

Other:
any component which has not failed, but that a repair facility recommends or requires to be replaced, repaired or adjusted.

Warranty Term Glossary
This glossary is designed to clarify any questions you may have regarding your Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty.

Administrator
The company that authorizes and pays the repair facility for the repair work on your vehicle. The administrator works closely with the repair facility to make sure your claim is handled properly. (See: Warrantor)

Bumper-to-Bumper
Also known as "factory coverage" and refers to the type of coverage the factory provides on a brand-new vehicle. This is the best and most comprehensive coverage available and is technically known as an "exclusionary warranty." In this type of coverage, EVERYTHING IS COVERED EXCEPT THE ITEMS EXCLUDED. A list of excluded items is provided and should be read carefully. This is the distinction between "named component" coverage and "exclusionary coverage." You should not assume that just because it is called "bumper-to-bumper" that it is true "exclusionary coverage". The true "bumper-to-bumper," "exclusionary coverage" has the following terminology: "Repairs on all assemblies (components) and parts are covered with the exception of those items listed in the exclusion section of this contract." (See: Under Warranty and Exclusions.)

Consumable Items
The parts not covered under any warranty such as: tires, batteries, clutch plates and wiper blades. (See: Exclusions)

Deductible
The maximum amount you must pay the repair facility for work when your vehicle is being repaired, regardless of total cost.

Eligibility
After a stringent inspection, the classification of a vehicle and the type of coverage that can be applied to the vehicle. A vehicle is typically fewer than eight model years old with fewer than 100,000 odometer miles to be eligible for certification, Lexus Certified Pre-Owned vehicles must be fewer than six model years old with fewer than 70,000 miles.

Exclusionary Warranty
The most comprehensive extended warranty available. Some manufacturers refer to it as a "bumper-to-bumper" policy. This particular policy lists the components of your vehicle that are not covered under the warranty. If a part or component is not listed, then it is covered under an exclusionary policy. (See: Under Warranty)
Old 11-17-09, 01:24 PM
bandcamp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my O2 sensor replaced a few weeks ago on my 03. Lexus did not charge for the replacement of the 02 sensor nor billed the company that I purchased by third party extended warranty from. I took it for what it was and didn't want to raise any red flags by asking probing questions.

Quick Reply: Oxygen Sensor Replacement