SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Pre- Purchase questions for Tuesday.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-09, 11:15 PM
ERicincal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre- Purchase questions for Tuesday.

Question:

I took the car that I am going to buy out today for a 30 minute test drive. Its a 2005 with just under 40K miles. Everything was in great working order and was in great condition. There were 2 things that I noticed. Can you tell me if this is normal, or something wrong with this car?

1. there was a slight whistle coming from the just behind the A pillar (drivers side), sort of like if you slightly crack the window. It was ever so slight, but being that the car was so quiet, I noticed it. Do you guys hear a slight whistling? Does this mean that the rubber seams need to be replaced or is this normal?

2. At freeway speeds (65+mph), I noticed a slight higher pitched hum and a bit irregular sounding. I see that the car has the run flat tires on it. I have read that people hate these things and I wonder if that hum is from the tires? or possibly from the transmission? Again, the car is super quiet, and I am REALLY straining to find fault with it, but I did in fact notice the sound. Your thoughts?

Any other last minute things I should look for? I already gave my deposit and a Lexus dealership is going a pre-purchase inspection on Monday.
Old 06-14-09, 06:13 AM
Jackalope
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ERicincal
Question:

I took the car that I am going to buy out today for a 30 minute test drive. Its a 2005 with just under 40K miles. Everything was in great working order and was in great condition. There were 2 things that I noticed. Can you tell me if this is normal, or something wrong with this car?

1. there was a slight whistle coming from the just behind the A pillar (drivers side), sort of like if you slightly crack the window. It was ever so slight, but being that the car was so quiet, I noticed it. Do you guys hear a slight whistling? Does this mean that the rubber seams need to be replaced or is this normal?

2. At freeway speeds (65+mph), I noticed a slight higher pitched hum and a bit irregular sounding. I see that the car has the run flat tires on it. I have read that people hate these things and I wonder if that hum is from the tires? or possibly from the transmission? Again, the car is super quiet, and I am REALLY straining to find fault with it, but I did in fact notice the sound. Your thoughts?

Any other last minute things I should look for? I already gave my deposit and a Lexus dealership is going a pre-purchase inspection on Monday.
Nope. No wind noise. Haven't ever heard of a Lexus with wind noises.

Run-flats transmit road noise into the cockpit. Think of them as solid rather than air filled....because that's more or less what they are.
Old 06-14-09, 07:05 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have some wind noise with my RX, but not with the SC. The pre-purchase inspection should reveal any problems with the trans. You're right about SC owners hating their run-flats, probably the most discussed component of the car. Just look how many threads are created to discuss wheels and tires. Good Luck with your purchase !
Old 06-14-09, 10:40 AM
Jackalope
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep. The eternal question, put up with the road noise or lie in the mud to change a tire.
Old 06-14-09, 02:26 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Actually, quite a few SC owners have the wind noise issue. The dealer will tell you that it is wind noise from the mirror. I disagree and feel that it is the seal between the roof and the A pilar. There is another thread here in this forum that discusses the slight wind noise, though you are the first I've heard refer to it as a whistle. My '02 has the wind noise also and I haven't been able to narrow it down to the cause and the dealer told me that it is normal for the SC430.
Old 06-15-09, 06:25 AM
Jace_91
Pole Position

you dont hear the whistle when your riding with the top down, lol..

Its a great car, besides for a few times when you;ll hear a bit of noise you'll love it. a low miles 05, seems like a great purchase !
Old 06-15-09, 09:38 AM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ericincal,

mine does not have wind noise. the irregular sound and pitched hum is probably from the semi-worn RFT's.

are u in socal or norcal?

If you're in norcal, hit me up and i might be able to show you my ride to see the difference.

peace...
Old 06-16-09, 12:02 AM
ERicincal
Driver School Candidate

Well, the Lexus dealership gave the car a clean bill of health. I brought it in for a pre purchase inspection. The tires are brand new evidently, so I am a little worried about the slight buzz, but I plan on picking up the platinum warrenty, so I guess everything should be ok. I was told by the Lexus dealer that the rear bumper looks like it was painted though. No damage, just cosmetic touch up. I didnt see it when I looked for it, so it looks like a pretty professional job.

Im going to miss the 6 speed in my miata and the quickness of it. (I was pleasantly surpised to be able to keep up with my friends M3.) I am hoping the refinement of the SC430 should make me simply forget the Miata
Old 06-16-09, 03:04 AM
coupdabill
Driver School Candidate

Default Wind noisre

It's from the mirror, just fold the driver-side mirror in to see the noise goes away when you do this. Good luck