NavTool Video Interface Unit Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-08, 07:22 AM
ynctypes
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up NavTool Video Interface Unit Group Buy

Hi All,

Just want to let those that don't know, NavTool is offering a group buy on their video interface unit, we could get it for as low as $135, if there are 19 more people... see link below:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=388353
Old 11-13-08, 07:29 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

I am in MD too. who are you getting to do the install?
Old 11-13-08, 08:23 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmalik00
I am in MD too. who are you getting to do the install?

It's not too bad. I put mine in. Hardest part was installing the backup camera. The Navtool module itself isn't bad...one pigtail connector, a group of ground wires, a switched 12V+, and a reverse-sensor lead.
Old 11-13-08, 10:28 PM
moomoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this unit will be plug in the trunk next to the nav unit? in the glove compartment?
Old 11-14-08, 05:49 AM
Habious

Originally Posted by moomoo
this unit will be plug in the trunk next to the nav unit? in the glove compartment?

Goes in the trunk. Plugs into the back of the Nav unit with the DVD-ROM drive under the trunk liner.
Old 11-14-08, 02:38 PM
moomoo
Driver School Candidate

Wow that is really easy then. thanks

BTW for the back up camera, if i use a license plate type camera, what is recommended and where is the best place to drill the hole? or do i have to drill a hole? about the 12V+ where can i tap into that?

Thanks
Old 11-15-08, 07:19 AM
Habious

Originally Posted by moomoo
Wow that is really easy then. thanks

BTW for the back up camera, if i use a license plate type camera, what is recommended and where is the best place to drill the hole? or do i have to drill a hole? about the 12V+ where can i tap into that?

Thanks
I used a license-plate camera. I go into detail as to where I got it in this thread here...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=331293

(Page 2, post 17)

I drilled a small hole i the bumper for the wire. it's behind the plate so you can't see it unless there's no plate on the car. Actually, you have to drill a hole in the license plate itself as well as the bumper, to get the wire fed through properly.

You also have to drill a small hole inside the car (the rear "firewall", for lack of a better term)...the back panel of the car, where the spare tire sits.
Old 11-29-08, 09:33 AM
Mangoshot
Driver School Candidate

Default VaisTech & NavTool interfaces with Centrafuse CarPC

I have been reading the dialogue about the VaisTech & NavTool interfaces with Centrafuse CarPC and am impressed with the knowledge base that has allowed me to learn about upgrades to my Lexus SC430. A couple of questions/comments; I understand that the Vaistech includes on-screen software. If so, why use the Centrafuse CarPC system? Also, how much does the NavTool cost?

Lexus SC430, Twilight Amethyst
Old 11-30-08, 03:28 PM
Habious

Originally Posted by Mangoshot
I have been reading the dialogue about the VaisTech & NavTool interfaces with Centrafuse CarPC and am impressed with the knowledge base that has allowed me to learn about upgrades to my Lexus SC430. A couple of questions/comments; I understand that the Vaistech includes on-screen software. If so, why use the Centrafuse CarPC system? Also, how much does the NavTool cost?

Lexus SC430, Twilight Amethyst
Mangoshot, I think there might be some confusion on your part.

Vaistech = Allows you to have an auxiliary audio input(s) with the factory stereo
NavTool = Allows you to have an auxiliary video input(s) to the factory navigation screen

The Vaistech and Navtool interfaces don't do anything on their own; they ALLOW you to hook up external devices to the factory audio and video system.

You could hook up a portable DVD player to the audio and video input; this would let you hear the DVD audio through the factory stereo and see the DVD on the navigation screen.

You could hook up a CarPC (running Centrafuse or some other program) to the audio and video inputs and watch movies, listen to mp3's, listen to satellite radio, etc.

But, the Vaistech and Navtool interfaces don't make any sounds/produce any video on their own...they just give you options.

SOME the Vaistech interfaces have on-screen software. The version for the SC430 does not.

The NavTool interface is usually around $200. With the group-buy (see the link in the first post), it could go as low as $135 for the SC430 version, if enough people sign up (right now it looks like it's about $150).
Old 12-08-08, 07:55 PM
ynctypes
Driver School Candidate

Habious,

I was looking at the table that came with the navtool package. it looks like one of the wire coming off the unit is suppose to tied to the "hand brake"... the table shows that the dvd video 1 output will activate only if hand brake is applied and the toggle switch is in the right position.

did you tie that wire to the hand brake as instructed or do you just tap it in to some wire that always has 12v? it'd suck if we could only watch dvd while in parked and hand brake is on.
Old 12-09-08, 06:17 AM
Habious

Originally Posted by ynctypes
Habious,

I was looking at the table that came with the navtool package. it looks like one of the wire coming off the unit is suppose to tied to the "hand brake"... the table shows that the dvd video 1 output will activate only if hand brake is applied and the toggle switch is in the right position.

did you tie that wire to the hand brake as instructed or do you just tap it in to some wire that always has 12v? it'd suck if we could only watch dvd while in parked and hand brake is on.

It's been a long time so, the details are a hair foggy. Short answer, yes, I tied this to a permanent spot so it ALWAYS works. However, I thought it was looking for a ground (that's the part I'm fuzzy about).

Since I use the NavTool to display the output of my CarPC, it has to work while the car is in motion.

EDIT: Found the instructions for the NavTool in another thread and it verified what I thought....

"Connect green wire found on the Cardemand unit to the handbrake and 2 white wires to ground. All three wires needed to be grounded in order for Video 1 to be activated. "

Last edited by Habious; 12-09-08 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-09-08, 04:11 PM
ynctypes
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the response, habious. i am kinda confused about what they mean by connecting the green wire to the "handbrake" then later says it needs to be grounded...
Old 12-10-08, 06:56 AM
Habious

Originally Posted by ynctypes
thanks for the response, habious. i am kinda confused about what they mean by connecting the green wire to the "handbrake" then later says it needs to be grounded...
What they WANT you to do is connect it to a contact that is grounded ONLY when the parking brake is applied. That way, you can't switch to the aux video input while you're driving.

Most people just connect it somewhere that's ALWAYS grounded, so you can switch to the aux video input whenever you please.
Old 12-24-08, 09:50 AM
w0ggy
Rookie

In case anyone is interested, there is another groupbuy up for the NavTool:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...group-buy.html