SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

" Guess What?", Followed By A Peep And A Whiff......................

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-01, 03:36 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile " Guess What?", Followed By A Peek And A Whiff......................

After the REAL Call with the:"Guess What - Your New SC arrived today!" from the Selling Dealer, I tooled over and checked it out. All I can say is: "WOW - What a Car!"

The Salesman carefully pulled it out of a New Car Line Up, and started it up for me, inviting me to slip in behind the wheel. I'll admit that I had been holding my breath on how the Saddle Interior would really look with the Black Onyx, even though the fold-out pictures of this combination grabbed my attention in the SC Brochure, but the "Real Deal" is a Winner!

The Opulance, the Elegance, and Heightened Look of Luxury all throughout the Interior, just blew me away! And the rich smell of all of that German Badon Custom-Made Leather, makes a XK8's Connally Leather seem like hand-me-down seating materials.

I wrote Checks, presented Credit Cards, signed all of the Papers in a kind of daze, still somewhat under the Spell of this captivating World Class Automobile, and that Special Time in your life when your own "Ultimate Dream Car" is finally there in front of your eyes, after so many (almost Nine) months of waiting, and so many dollars placed so willingly on the table!

If I had previously thought that I had recieved the "Royal Treatment" from the L-M folks who delivered my Black / Tan / Black Hadtop Convertible Miata ($25 K in '91), and the '95 & '01 Black / Tan BMW Hardtop Convertibles, nothing prepared me for the "Private Country Club" atmosphere that all of the Management, Sales, Parts, and Service people have bestowed upon me, from the first day of Order way back in March, on through today. These LEXUS people really are a cut above the rest, and treat their customers as if they also are, as well!

Following a week of an Annual Conferance that requires my attendance running our Hospitality Suite, my first LEXUS and my New SC 430 is to be "presented" to me one week from today. What a LOOOONG Week this will be!

The Dealer has agreed to keep the white plastic protective covering on the car until just before the Pre-Delivery Prep, install the 3-Trumpet Air Horns in front of the radiator, Gold Coat the "L" on the Engine, install Gold Plated "L's" from LEXUS on the Front Hood & Rear Deck, Gold Plate the "L's" on all four Wheel Disks and replace the 10 Hex Nuts on each Wheel Cover with Gold Plated ones from Lexus, Debadge the "LEXUS" and "SC" from the Deck Lid, Turn Off the Flashers when the Key Fob is used to Lock / Unlock the car, and put as close to 300 miles on the car as is possibe. Now these are Really Nice Guys, and have displayed as much Enthusiam and Passion for this New Car Experience as I have! (When's the last time that THAT has happened to any of us?)

Once I get the New Car, I've planned a 400-500 round trip to Columbus, Ohio, on back country roads where limiting the Break-In Speeds to 55 mph won't seem so much of an impatient hassle. An over night at the Columbus Hilton (Finally got to use those Free Points!), perhaps a succulant Steak or Maine Lobster Dinner at Engine House No. 5, and a return trip home on Sunday, hopefully with the Top stowed, and Faith Hill "Busting Out" of the Mark Levinson 240 Watt Sound System, the Sun in my face, and the wind in my Hair. Does it get any better than this? (DON'T wake me, if I'm dreaming!)

Next Stop will be back to the Dealer for the first 1,000 Mile (+/-) Service, drop the Break-In Oil out and replace it with probably Castrol's Best Synthetic Oil, for the trip down to Florida mid December. Hopefully I can run all the way down and back in the Run Flats, but have the Five additional dedicated OEM Wheels with Dunlop's Winter Sport II's mounted on them, just in case this excellant Fall Weather goes "South" with me. I figure that if I can just make it down past Nashville with the Run Flats, I'll gamble that I can make it safely back up from Florida to Atlanta mid January, for the return trip home. And, guess who has a Dealership within 2,000 feet of the Atlanta Hilton Towers on the North East side of Atlanta, who could have my dedicated Winter Tires UPS'd to them by the time I hit Town, in case I need them to plow back home to Indiana? Surely this was Fate, having me make an Over Night Reservation in a strange City, that was practically next door to a Lexus Dealer?

The Gods are kind and continue to smile down on me, and I consider myself very blessed.

So little time, so many layers of ZAINO to put on!

The Gleaming Black Oynx Prized Jewel of Lexus's Fleet, is about to be born, and delivered!

"LEXUS - THE ULTIMATE LUXURY / PERFORMANCE DRIVING
MACHINE!

Last edited by WJSOLOMON; 11-24-01 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-25-01, 06:42 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Solo -

Looking forward to seeing pics of your car with the gold plating. Just out of curiosity, why did you want the dealer to put the first 300 miles on? I wouldn't have wanted anyone but me breaking in my car...
Old 11-25-01, 08:59 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Thumbs up "THE FIRST THOUSAND MILES ARE THE HARDEST!"

The reason for having the Dealer put on 300 ++ miles or so, prior to taking Delivery this next weekend, was to try and comply with Owner's Manual Instructions on page # 228, under the "BREAK-IN PERIOD" Section, which suggests that for the future economy and an estimated longer life for my car, I should not drive over 55 mph for the First 1,000 Miles.

In addition to as many miles as the Dealer can get on it until Delivery, I plan on putting 600 - 700 miles on it, prior to driving straight to Atlanta and then on to Florida, towards the end of December. Can you imagine how darn LONG of a trip that 1,200 miles would be, at 55 mph, and being passed by every Volvo, Saab, BMW, Audi TT, Mercedes, and XK8 Convertibles along the way? That would really be hard to take, as well as listening to close to 24 continous hours of early Maria Carey, Eagles, and Faith Hill CD's.

Besides, that will give the Dealer a chance to scope out all the required adjustments (like the Top and the Visors) while it's still under their care, and prior to my having to discover and gripe about them on the way back to their shop.

In addition, I've made my Salesman, the Parts Manager, the Service Manager, and my assigned Service Technition pretty Happy Campers, being able to take the car home and impress their family, friends, and neighbors.

I can deal with a "Honey Moon" with some qualified experience under the belt, so to speak............

Old 11-26-01, 05:46 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Congratulations, my fellow SC430 owner! And thanks very much for your advice on wheels and the gold package.
(see https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=26795)

I have some great news of my own. My SC430 in Midnight Pine and Saddle arrived on Friday morning, and I drove away in it at 7:30pm THAT DAY! I hate shopping on the day after Turkey Day, but I made a huge exception this year!

Prepped and ready to go, I pulled the 93 SC400 in Jade Metallic into the service bay for some side-by-side pics. I wish the lighting was better. As I tooks them, I suddenly realized that I wouldn't see my old friend, still beautiful after 5.5 years of service to me. It certainly wasn't easy -- the two cars just can't be compared without insulting the other, and I wasn't about to do it.

Just as I got behind the wheel to pull out of the drive, a downpour started, after a perfect day in Dallas! Just like Texas weather, it rolled in with very little warning. Did the old SC400 make a deal with the devil to thwart me, or was someone upstairs reminding me to be patient, that this special purchase will have plenty of sunny days without its top, and to be careful? Either way, I drove home slowly and a bit nervous. The honeymoon would have to wait.

I've only put 85 miles on it since, running errands like nothing was different from any other day. I did find it difficult (read: impossible) to keep it at 55 or less. I have to admit, it seemed so smooth and comfortable at 85 -- I admit I was surprised several times after looking down at the speed-o-meter. Not recommended for the first 1000, so I've got some more adjusting to do than re-adjust my rear into the new leather seats. Fortunately, I still haven't stomped on it to see what it'll do. I do love it, and feel like I'm coddling it for now, just as it is for me.

It had its first bath last night -- can't drive it to work dirty, especially after driving in the rain. I decided to leave it as it is -- no chrome wheels, no gold package, at least for now. I am quite satisfied with the mixed shine of the wheels, and WJ is right -- the chrome can be a distraction, especially from the large accents on the side-view mirrors. Hey, I can always change my mind! In the Spring, I'm going to put Huper Optik clear tint on it. An amazing demo of cutting out solar heat, and the almost clear tint is a nice plus. Most of all, it's ceramic-based, not metallic. Much better for the GPS and cell phone (headset-equipped, of course).

Manufactured in October 2001, I could still hear the rear amplifier fan blowing. Not sure if it's on their list of things to fix -- still waiting for Lexus.com to update my vehicle list. If I have any concerns, it's one I didn't expect. The Mark Levinson system, while very clear, is a bit tinny for my tastes. I hate tweaking top-notch stereos with only 3 wide frequency ranges to work with. It seems more powerful than my SC400's Nakamichi, but not as warm. Maybe it's the music I'm listening to, much heavier than your typical Lexus owner: Saliva, Creed, etc. Some of them are admittedly poorly mixed -- something I can research from the hundreds of other CDs I have of all music types.

My last surprises, and I'll stop this rambling (for now). First, the Midnight Pine should probably be called Pine Midnight -- it is VERY dark. It takes an exceptionally bright day to see that it's at all green without getting right up to it or catching a stray photon from the right angle. Still beautiful, and the compliments are only beginning. Second, the high-beams are not HID, at least by their color. I'm not sure if this is typical for HID systems -- not a big deal. Maybe some PIAA lamps to brighten them up a little. And to finish with a cool thing, cranking it up in the garage and watching the headlamps auto-level is pretty cool. I didn't even know it had that feature!

And so the romance begins....
Old 11-28-01, 12:54 AM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Thumbs up "AND SO THE ROMANCE BEGINS"

Thank you for for your kind words, and supportive considerations. I appreciate them, as well as your genuine "Romantic Love Affair" with this Classic Piece of Art.

I'm working throught a Week-Long Annual County Government Conference here in Indianapolis, hosting a Hospitality Room that so far has sent the last dog to their Rooms at 4:00 AM. Talk about "Sleepless In Seatle"........not even close!

But the Light at the end of the tunnel this week will be Saturday, when I am presented with my Black / Saddle Chariot of the Gods - the stunning new 2002 SC 430!

The momentum and "Rush" of realizing that the first day of the rest of my life begins at week's end, is So Invigorating, and causing me to be filled with excitement, in anticipation of it all!

How can I stop myself..........why would I want to?

Solo-1

Last edited by WJSOLOMON; 11-28-01 at 12:57 AM.
Old 11-28-01, 08:28 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The first pics

As I said before, the lighting was poor, but here are some pics:
http://www.theantigeek.com

A friend gave me some web space.
When I get my (5MB) space up, I'll post some pics.
And HOPEFULLY some nicer ones where you can see some green!

For now, we've got wintery weather in Dallas.
Rain today, and below freezing tonight.
I did the schmuckly thing and asked a co-worker for a ride tomorrow.
Again, ANOTHER sign that either the SC400 is pissed, or God says "be patient". I think I'll heed the not-so-subtle advice.

Oh, the Huper Optik site (for those interested): http://www.huperoptik.com

In the latest of my opinions and insights, I offer this. WJ, I know you've had a BMW and a Miata (correct?), and that the Lexus experience is new to you. Your comments about the royal treatment you've gotten is something I've gotten used to with Sewell Lexus in Dallas. Expensive, yes, but worth it for the peace of mind alone.

In my opinion, the SC430 is a sport-luxury car, not a luxury sports car or a sports car at all. Those who complain about road feel and steering response isn't completely inaccurate. To me, my SC400 was all about luxury with a sporty feel. The SC430, as Lexus passionately pursues perfection, is even more of an improvement in this area. Despite the easy-going driving I've been doing, the SC430 (as it is with the LS430) is what I've called "an uneventful driving experience." It's not a negative term to me: the drive is so smooth, with an enormous amount of control and precision, that there are no instances where your eyeballs bulge with a resounding "YIKES!". Even in the 2 emergency maneuvering situations in the SC400, the response was so predictable and controlled, I couldn't believe how smooth it was, and that I actually avoided an accident!

More as the break-in period wears down, and the integration with the new beauty grows. My first road trip: Waco next week. I'm sure it'll be as comfortable and enjoyable as the SC400 was on a highway drive. Watch out ears, here come the corners of my mouth!

Thanks to all. It's nice to have other enthusiasts who appreciate the info & share in the excitement of a REAL Ultimate Driving Machine.

Last edited by antigeek; 03-06-02 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-29-01, 12:13 AM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Thumbs up "KIND COMMENTS FOR A WORLD CLASS CAR"

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
WOW! Sounds great, keep posting your reviews!
Thanks, SKL, for your kind words of encouragement, and ackknowlegement for such a wonderful World Class Car, as the SC 430 truely is.

My rememberance of the '91 Miata Hardtop Convertible was that it was a heck of a lot of car for the money, but not one that easily lent itself to trips over 100 miles, especially with the Top down. Yet this little Black "Mickey Mouse Shoe" had the best short-throw stick shift of anything out there! The other thing that simply amazed me was the up-grade on the Stereo that featured the Head Rest Speakers that permitted you to run Flat Out with the Stereo Cranked up, and with very little distortion at High Speed. Quite an accomplished little '60 Style Roadster!

The Bimmers were different - dried feeling leather seats and visors right off of the bat, and a Stereo System that really distorted and sucked, compared to the Miata at half of the price.

But the road-handling and control of the 325and 330 were the best out there, unless you planned to drive it accross Country for 10 - 12 hours, and your butt was less than 30 years of age, assuming that you outfitted it with the "Sport Package". If you enjoyed turning into a "Class A" personality behind the wheel of an "Ultimate Driving Machine", those BMW's were in a Class by themselves. For pure "Racing Excitement between point "A" and Point "B" - the BMW Automobile is the one to drive the fastest in!

In my everyday life, I've driven 16 new BUICK PARK AVENUE ULTRAS with BUICK'S Optional Sport Package, and understand the compromise of High Speed Performance Driving, over a long day behind the wheel (350-400 miles), as opposed to the BMW's concept of "InYour face Driving" rather than the High Speed Touring with a Boulivard Cruiser, like the SC 430 promises to be.

For driving Cross-Country over 10 - 12 hours, I'm thinking the SC 430 will be more readily able to stand alone, not only in regard to High Speed Performance in the turns and straightaways, but relaxed long-term travels on the Freeways, in terms of 10-12 hours periods of time, than anyting available in it's Class!

SC 430 - "Born to Lead".
"Built to Last!"

SOLO-1

Last edited by WJSOLOMON; 11-29-01 at 11:16 PM.