SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Wife has locked my only set of keys in the trunk! What Can I Do??

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-03, 06:30 AM
catsofuk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wife has locked my only set of keys in the trunk! What Can I Do??

I had a locksmith come and was able to unlock the doors (which was not easy since the doors lock right back so you have to be very quick) but when we got inside all power such as the truck latch does not work.
How can I get in the trunk??? Do I need just to order a new key from Lexus and be out $250???
When I bought this SC400 they only had the spare key without the remote for the alarm and keyless entry.

HELP!!
Old 05-13-03, 07:52 AM
lexus_sc400_n20
Pole Position

Ok since your in the car now, pop the hood, take off the negative terminal of the battery for a few minutes, then put it back on and pop the trunk from the inside button.
Old 05-13-03, 08:10 AM
catsofuk
Driver

I have took the negative terminal of the battery for about 5 or 10 min but I think that another problem is the lock that is beside the trunk release in pushed in and locked! I may be SOL??
I have called the nearest Lexus dealer (60 miles away) that another key will be $75.00 and a key with the keyless entry would be $290.00 plus that would have to program it for my car. Could I do this myself??
Old 05-13-03, 08:19 AM
lexus_sc400_n20
Pole Position

yes, but i would pull the switch panel out and pull the wires off and manually touch them, then put the wires back in the switch. save you $$
Old 05-13-03, 02:41 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I locked my keys in the trunk of my SC300 one time. The locksmith came to the house and easily opened the doors. However, the alarm immediately went off and the trunk latch button was disabled.

The only way he found to get the keys... and this may be one for Ripley's Believe It Or Not... was to remove the rear speaker and stick his hand through the hole into the trunk! The keys were actually in my briefcase, so he not only had to reach the briefcase, he had to find the right zipper and remove the keys. If this guy could do that, surely your locksmith can reach in there and get the keys. If not, I'd just pay the money. Wish I had better news, but that's it!
Old 05-13-03, 03:58 PM
2Lexus430s
Lexus Test Driver

Simply remove the back speaker and use a piece of a coat hanger to fish the keys out
Old 05-14-03, 12:58 AM
EvoTuned
Driver

When I was picking up some parts form a salvage yard I accidentally laid my keys in the trunk with the parts and locked it. It took a professional locksmith, myself, and the owner of the salvage yard 5 hours to get in the trunk!!! You cannot pick the high security key locks so he had to use a tool to go under the window of the driver’s door. Then I had to pull on the handle when he unlocked it from the inside before it relocked itself. This of course set off the alarm and disabled the trunk.

There are 2 wires inside the drivers door that if crossed will open the trunk. He had the info in a manual.

Luckily the alarm system resets itself so I had to sit in the car until it reset then we were able to open it. Unfortunately through the course of the day the inside trunk release was locked so he had to tear apart the lower dash to unlock it but hopefully that won’t happen to you. He was really cool about it and said it was a learning experience and charged me $25! Wonder how many locksmiths would do that!?

Good luck!!
Old 05-14-03, 03:26 AM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use to always carry my wallet key with me
Old 05-14-03, 04:54 AM
catsofuk
Driver

Thanks for all the help! I have already ordered another key but I will try to get into the trunk by taking the speaker out. Lexus has told me it might take several days before a key will be in.

Another question......

Can I order a master key for the keyless entry and alarm and have the dealer program it for my car or does it require me buying a whole new unit for the car??

Thanks again!
Old 05-14-03, 02:08 PM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can order a new master key and have the dealer program it. Park Place Lexus in Plano charges $250 to do this. The tech guy just programs the key to your car. You do not need anything else, such as a module for your car. (Unless of course it is broke)
Old 05-14-03, 02:40 PM
catsofuk
Driver

Where is this Park Place Lexus in Plano?? Can this be done without the car and just using the vin number to code the master key??
Old 05-14-03, 03:26 PM
kmn5
Lead Lap

In case anyone is interested,
I have an extra key blank left
$15 shipped.

KN
Old 05-14-03, 04:05 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Dumb keys" only cost $49 list, not $75 or $250. That's all you need to open the trunk. Part # 90999-00220. Should have checked the FAQ first. Carson probably sells them for $40, maybe less.
Old 05-14-03, 07:27 PM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

Talking of keys, when I bought my SC I only got 3 sets, but was missing the fourth. I was wondering if anyone had a picture of the 4th key, the ones I have are the 2 masters with remotes, the 1 vallet key... the one missing is the flat metal key... I think to put in your wallet or something.
Old 05-15-03, 05:02 AM
catsofuk
Driver

One more question............

The locksmith was told that you could get inside the truck by taking out the back seat and there would be a panel behind the seat. This was not the case. Now I can not get the seat belt lose to pull back in front of the seat where I can put it back into place. Where is the seat belt release in the trunk???

Quick Reply: Wife has locked my only set of keys in the trunk! What Can I Do??