SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

For OCD SC owners: Gas drainage hose tip

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-15, 04:10 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Default For OCD SC owners: Gas drainage hose tip

Every time after it rains I'd find water puddled in the gas hatch beside the gas cap. I recently found out that the gas hatch has it's own drainage hose. It's just dirt and debris from 20 years that clogs the drain and it's easy and simple to clean out.

Grab a coat hanger (or stiff wire), 10mm socket and ratchet (extender makes life easier), a philips head screwdriver, and pliers.

Remove the 4 philips screws holding the gas cap gasket/housing.

Remove cap then remove housing. This is an optional step but a good idea so you can remove ALL of the dirt, not just some of it. Replace the cap so dirt doesn't get into the tank

Remove the trunk inner liner, remove the CD changer, and the stock amp. Unplug both of those and get them out of the way. (also a good time to clean out that bottom area) Locate the small(er) drain hose that will have a hose clamp on it. Pop that out. Remove the hose completely.

Clean out the hose. Baling wire works fine then blow some water through it to clean it out.

Now find the little hole in the gas hatch. Chances are it will be covered in mud. Get some wire and jam it in there and out the other side.

Then plug the hose back up and blow through it and all the debris will shoot out the other side of the hole.

All done!

Yes, this is a very minor thing, but it bothered me enough to spend 30 minutes to correct it. That is also the reason I labeled this thread "for OCD SC owners only".

Old 04-28-15, 05:11 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You must be talking to me if you said OCD. Good to know. Will do this soon.
Old 04-28-15, 05:43 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Ha.....
My trunk gets wet and I found this hose in the trunk when I got my car. I don't think I have that top section it plugs in to. Where does the top section connect? I think I have to buy that part.
I'm pretty sure this is my problem.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails For OCD SC owners: Gas drainage hose tip-drain-hose-sc400.jpg  

Last edited by Studiogeek; 04-28-15 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-28-15, 09:25 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
My trunk gets wet and I found this hose in the trunk when I got my car.
Same here, only my hose was disconnected at one end (the top, I believe). Lots of water was down in the well, so I'm assuming the metal line that connects the hose to the filler area is able to drain...

When you take the trunk liner out and look up to the right of the hinge, you should see a little metal barb for the hose to attach to. As I recall, I had to sort of stick my head up in there to see where the at-the-time mystery hose was supposed to go.
Old 04-29-15, 09:58 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
Same here, only my hose was disconnected at one end (the top, I believe). Lots of water was down in the well, so I'm assuming the metal line that connects the hose to the filler area is able to drain...

When you take the trunk liner out and look up to the right of the hinge, you should see a little metal barb for the hose to attach to. As I recall, I had to sort of stick my head up in there to see where the at-the-time mystery hose was supposed to go.
The "barb" you are referring to is in picture 4 and 7. There is a hole there so access is not bad at all.
Old 04-29-15, 10:13 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400slide
The "barb" you are referring to is in picture 4 and 7. There is a hole there so access is not bad at all.
I'd have to pull my liner off to look, but I think mine was covered up by stuff. Stereo wiring, perhaps? I know the bundle passes right through that area.