SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Is it time to retire my SC?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-15, 06:19 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

I feel it really depends on what you ultimately want and expect from the SC and how difficult it is to achieve that goal. I think when people keep things simple and semi-affordable it is very much a bargain GT cruiser or GT sports car that lasts and lasts (if you take care of it).

ANY high mileage used older vehicle is going to need a few major repairs but few such cars were designed as well as the SC over twenty years ago such that it still feels basically modern with such generally good reliability. There are several other timeless and bulletproof models out there from many manufacturers but it's not a terribly long list of used cars that check all those boxes.

A good car should always put a smile on the owner's face even if it's distracted for a short time with some repairs. I still feel that way about mine and if it's not doing that for you, mrbrandon, you need to consider where the SC falls in your life. Will it make you happy as it is, with a few repairs and strong long term reliability? That plus a few tweaks to make it a bit more fun to drive? If not, then maybe you need to look to other pastures that will serve your practical and passionate sides better.

A timing belt and water pump isn't a cheap service for an SC but it's usually the only such expensive service the car will need every 60k. Most other things are far less and affordable. Just not through a Lexus dealer. It's a very good car to keep around.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 03-20-15 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-20-15, 09:19 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 482 Likes on 291 Posts

_________^ ^

Well put. Good advice !
Old 03-23-15, 04:30 PM
mrbrandon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Update

There's a lot of great insight in this thread! As requested, here's an update.

This past November, I had the local Quick Lane at the Ford stealership somehow agree to install my already bought NAPA steering rack onto the car this past November. As part of that installation, they had to do an alignment. When they did the alignment, they noted that my front passenger lower control arm was bad and encouraged me to replace it. So I did. It was indeed in really bad shape.

After doing this, I chose to go to my regular shop for another alignment since it went out of alignment during the LCA installation. That's when I was told about the bad arms and that "the arms needed to be replaced before they could attempt the alignment." The mechanic at my place brought me in the garage to show them to me under the car. I don't question the guy (its an old car), but hold on a sec - I just HAD an alignment done in November. *lightbulb*

I call Quick Lane this morning, say nothing about the arms and just ask them to do the alignment becuase "I had taken their advice and installed the LCA." BINGO. $1000 repair bill is suddenly $64.80 aftertax and included the free car wash/vehicle inspection. The SC drove home nice and straight with no odd sounds.

The only major problem I have, and this may prompt a new thread, is one that developed after installing the new shocks/LCA. My brakes are pulsating when I turn at slow speeds. I have a really hard time stopping the car, its like driving on ice. The pulsating is infrequent and seems to happen between 5-15mph most often. I think its coming from the Pass/Front wheel. Any ideas?

I'll have a chance to diagnose it further tomorrow. Thanks for all the great insight in here. Lots of great comments on retirement.

Last edited by mrbrandon; 03-23-15 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-23-15, 09:00 PM
sunny416
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

really depends of what your car means to YOU. coming from a guy who crashed his car and paid more money fixing it then it the value of the car. but in the end it made ME happy, and you cant put a price tag on that. its the sentimental value really.if you think your next car will be an upgrade and will make you happIER then go for it. if not id stick with it. but you mentioned you've been saving up for a newer car then perhaps you should sell it and get a newer one. but hey each to their own.