Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Bad accerlation.. exhaust sputters.. 95 SC400

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-14, 11:54 PM
oaksc400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad accerlation.. exhaust sputters.. 95 SC400

Just got over one problem over the weekend... but my car was due for a tune up anyways.. so basically I have a terrible loss of power I think I'm running on 4 cylinders. I'm changing my oem spark plugs/wires to ngk. Also got a new distributer cap/rotor, this is all going in over this weekend. Any ideas on what else it can be?

I just got my sc and little problems and issues are driving me insane!!
Old 12-24-14, 12:31 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's very likely that it's an ignition problem.
See if the problem persists after replacing plugs, wires, cap and rotor, also you'll want to check the coil packs themselves, both right and left side as sometimes one will fail and then you're pretty much running on 4 cylinders.
Old 12-24-14, 01:44 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While you're at it, it's a perfect time to Seafoam your car. It really works, I highly recommend it.
Old 12-24-14, 04:53 AM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Biddles
While you're at it, it's a perfect time to Seafoam your car. It really works, I highly recommend it.
What's seafoaming?
Old 12-24-14, 05:34 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by SC400Zulu
What's seafoaming?
That's a big "can o' worms" question as there are many opinions on seafoam and application. I think it's a great product. O.L.T made a motherload thread about seafoam and techniques for application. Find it and read it.

Zulu, right about now you should be living in the CL "Mega Links" thread and reading/studying it in it's entirety. That link LIVES HERE and probably includes the Seafoam mega thread.

Last edited by Studiogeek; 12-24-14 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-24-14, 11:23 AM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Had this problem with bad coil packs and check your intake coupler. My coupler had a cut and it ran like it was on 4 cylinders.

Any CEL? That is the first thing you need to check
Old 12-24-14, 03:36 PM
oaksc400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by k7q
Had this problem with bad coil packs and check your intake coupler. My coupler had a cut and it ran like it was on 4 cylinders.

Any CEL? That is the first thing you need to check
I don't think it's a bad coil because wouldn't a bad coil have bad idle/stalls? I have no CEL Im changing plugs and wires this weekend and I'll keep everyone updated.

Thanks and merry Christmas to everyone
Old 12-24-14, 06:43 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oaksc400
I don't think it's a bad coil because wouldn't a bad coil have bad idle/stalls? I have no CEL Im changing plugs and wires this weekend and I'll keep everyone updated.

Thanks and merry Christmas to everyone
No, it will buck/hesitate, Cat's will tick more when hot, fuel smell from poor/incomplete ignition, loss of power, rough idle, sputtering from exhaust, just the kind of things you'd expect from only runnin 4 cylinders. The car will start and run, it just has the above symptoms, pretty rare for it to stall because as the RPM's drop from the extra load the ECU will try to compensate by opening the throttle so that's why the idle is rough and it will sputter.

It's easy to test though.
Disconnect one coil pack and see if it starts, if it runs exactly the same, the disconnected one is blown. So reconnect the other and disconnect the first one, now it shouldn't start at all since the one connected would be the blown one. If it starts both times then the coil packs aren't the problem.

Easy way to test and you can tell for sure. Without testing it all we can do is just guess, based on our past experiences, but everything is a guess until it's tested physically in person.
Old 12-24-14, 10:26 PM
oaksc400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eknine9
No, it will buck/hesitate, Cat's will tick more when hot, fuel smell from poor/incomplete ignition, loss of power, rough idle, sputtering from exhaust, just the kind of things you'd expect from only runnin 4 cylinders. The car will start and run, it just has the above symptoms, pretty rare for it to stall because as the RPM's drop from the extra load the ECU will try to compensate by opening the throttle so that's why the idle is rough and it will sputter.

It's easy to test though.
Disconnect one coil pack and see if it starts, if it runs exactly the same, the disconnected one is blown. So reconnect the other and disconnect the first one, now it shouldn't start at all since the one connected would be the blown one. If it starts both times then the coil packs aren't the problem.

Easy way to test and you can tell for sure. Without testing it all we can do is just guess, based on our past experiences, but everything is a guess until it's tested physically in person.
Thanks for clarifying!!! I will also do a ignition coil test as well as my tune up. I just bought my SC and I must say this forum is very helpful. Thanks!
Old 12-30-14, 03:56 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a bad used ECU and caused my sc4 to run on 4 cyl. and have a bad idle.